Author Topic: Hair Growth Products  (Read 642 times)

Offline ramilove

Hair Growth Products
« on: January 29, 2019, 11:19:54 am »
Hair
As I explore my femininity with crossdressing, I am at an impasse as to what to do about my graying. thinning, receding hairline. HRT would address the issue, but I am not ready for that leap at least not without many sessions with a therapist.  There are wigs, but I would very much like to get by and present with my natural hair if at all possible. Then the the over the counter drugs such as Minoxidil or Rogaine and prescription drugs such as Finasteride along with there side effects. I am  interested in reading about the experiences of others that have ventured into the receding thinning hair wilderness.
Rami Love
Electrolysis 3/4/2020
Estradiol 3/10/2020

Offline Casady

Re: Hair Growth Products
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2019, 01:39:16 pm »
I’ve had very good results from Minoxidil and Finasteride to thinning hair around the crown over the past 10 months. I believe they may have less of an effect on a receding hairline though.

Casady

Offline JamiLD

• Visitor
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2019, 06:10:04 am »
I used Minoxidil for a year and didn't do anything for me.  Plus it was a pain to use.  Twice a day, and it got into my hair and made it look funky.  They made a mousse version, but wasn't any better, and I don't think it got onto my scalp as well as the drops.  Doesn't hurt to try, either.  Just don't expect quick results. 

I went the Finasteride route and it made a big difference.  Was on it for 2 years.  But be prepared for side effects. 
Graying, on the other hand, is a hair of a different color. :)

Offline Gabrielageo

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2020, 12:58:28 pm »
I know it's been a while since your posting, but do you mind to share your experience with finasteride? I've read about it but wanted to know your personal experience, both results and side effects
I used Minoxidil for a year and didn't do anything for me.  Plus it was a pain to use.  Twice a day, and it got into my hair and made it look funky.  They made a mousse version, but wasn't any better, and I don't think it got onto my scalp as well as the drops.  Doesn't hurt to try, either.  Just don't expect quick results. 

I went the Finasteride route and it made a big difference.  Was on it for 2 years.  But be prepared for side effects. 
Graying, on the other hand, is a hair of a different color. :)

Offline RandyL

• Non-binary
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2020, 12:53:21 pm »
I've been on the higher dose of finasteride for 9 months, for prostate issues. Some increased hair on my crown but nothing dramatic. A very small amount of breast growth and tenderness. Nothing else that I've noticed.

Sent from my dual-floppy Victor 9000 using Tapatalk

Casting about for my best path forward...

Offline Gabrielageo

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2020, 03:57:38 pm »
I'm actually at a very advanced stage of hair loss, really thin on the crown, definitely need my wigs; and I've actually come to love them, after so many years wearing them wrong I've sorta learned how to tame them; but I just wanted to give it a try and see if it would regrow a bit, don't mind the side effects, but just wanted to hear people's experience.
And I can't remember for sure, but you're on hormones, right Randy?

I've been on the higher dose of finasteride for 9 months, for prostate issues. Some increased hair on my crown but nothing dramatic. A very small amount of breast growth and tenderness. Nothing else that I've noticed.

Offline RandyL

• Non-binary
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2020, 04:20:24 pm »
I'm actually at a very advanced stage of hair loss, really thin on the crown, definitely need my wigs; and I've actually come to love them, after so many years wearing them wrong I've sorta learned how to tame them; but I just wanted to give it a try and see if it would regrow a bit, don't mind the side effects, but just wanted to hear people's experience.
And I can't remember for sure, but you're on hormones, right Randy?
No other hormones for me.

Casting about for my best path forward...

Online Kate.claire

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2020, 07:36:14 pm »
Well, if really thin crown makes you advanced, I must have gone pro as I had nothing on top for years.  EV injections recovered SOME of what I assumed was a totally bald crown for life.  I added in Fin and Minoxidil about a year ago, so hard to say what did what, but certainly hair was on it's way back on EV alone.  My T bottomed out on it, so probably that was the biggest driver.  Still recovering more, kind of in a wait and see, but never going to be a normal head of hair.  I never bothered with Fin and Minoxidil in the past, figuring it was a total lost cause.  Seeing the modest results that I did on a long bald head makes me wish I had tried whatever I could way back before starting HRT, because my head is clear proof that shiny heads can wake up the follicles still, under the right conditions.  Had I started in my late twenties on HRT, probably could have saved my hair entirely (baldness started in early twenties).  The peaks don't make much progress, but if you got to that point, you might be in the range of successful FUE.

As for the grey, if you don't want to color it, I found that Just for Men (blech) ControlGX Grey Reducing Shampoo is a pretty reasonable DIY.  With dyes, it's easy to blow up your hair color and get it wrong, but this is just a shampoo that adds in color gradually over several washes.  Worked well for me this year.

Offline Gabrielageo

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2020, 01:04:08 am »
I really never had any problem with losing it before, it's just that I look at the mirror now and I see my brother looking right back at me (my wife can't stand him), and of course I wish I had some hair of my own, at least to wear one of those sorta extensions, forgot what they're called. A co-worker used Fin, I saw big changes in a year, but he hadn't lost it all yet when he started using it. He was telling me about side effects, but got really shy when it came down to libido; he was Japanese, very private, wouldn't talk to me after, avoided being alone with me for the following seven months. I love to wear my hair up, got a couple of full lace wigs but haven't been able to get them plucked and styled, everything is still closed around here. Did I mention I want my hair back?
Well, if really thin crown makes you advanced, I must have gone pro as I had nothing on top for years.  EV injections recovered SOME of what I assumed was a totally bald crown for life.  I added in Fin and Minoxidil about a year ago, so hard to say what did what, but certainly hair was on it's way back on EV alone.  My T bottomed out on it, so probably that was the biggest driver.  Still recovering more, kind of in a wait and see, but never going to be a normal head of hair.  I never bothered with Fin and Minoxidil in the past, figuring it was a total lost cause.  Seeing the modest results that I did on a long bald head makes me wish I had tried whatever I could way back before starting HRT, because my head is clear proof that shiny heads can wake up the follicles still, under the right conditions.  Had I started in my late twenties on HRT, probably could have saved my hair entirely (baldness started in early twenties).  The peaks don't make much progress, but if you got to that point, you might be in the range of successful FUE.

As for the grey, if you don't want to color it, I found that Just for Men (blech) ControlGX Grey Reducing Shampoo is a pretty reasonable DIY.  With dyes, it's easy to blow up your hair color and get it wrong, but this is just a shampoo that adds in color gradually over several washes.  Worked well for me this year.

Offline Sarah-Red

• Love <3
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2020, 10:01:16 am »
I heard that with minoxidil you kind of have to stay on it and if you stop you lose the hair that grew. Anyone have experience with this? It's one reason I haven't tried it, and I'm pretty hesitant to do so.

Looking to hear any experiences with it, and if it's actually worth it, especially if someone doesn't plan to continue on it.

Offline TSL_NB

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2020, 02:44:58 pm »
I heard that with minoxidil you kind of have to stay on it and if you stop you lose the hair that grew. Anyone have experience with this? It's one reason I haven't tried it, and I'm pretty hesitant to do so.

Looking to hear any experiences with it, and if it's actually worth it, especially if someone doesn't plan to continue on it.

Just my thoughts...I haven't used Minoxidil myself, for that exact reason...everything I read points to that if usage stops (assuming your hormonal balance is consistent), any hair gained will be lost again.

Plus, even with Finasteride or Dutasteride used in combination, the overall results seem to be that you may gain some back on the crown, and otherwise future hair loss may be averted, but I have, for the most part, never seen anyone get their entire original head of hair back (a couple of notable exceptions exist online...but, I think those are rare).

I initially didn't want to use wigs or hair systems, but I think they would actually be less work than having to apply Minoxidil twice a day, and arguably less expensive....AND, no guarantee of good results with Minoxidil.  I've warmed up to wigs and toppers a lot more now. :)

Otherwise, the only other option would be transplants, but to get good results, a good donor area is required (and a giant bag of money to give to the surgeon who is skilled enough to make it look good).
It took over 40 years to realise, and believe, that what I am NOT, is a mistake.

Offline Sarah-Red

• Love <3
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2020, 03:58:58 pm »
Just my thoughts...I haven't used Minoxidil myself, for that exact reason...everything I read points to that if usage stops (assuming your hormonal balance is consistent), any hair gained will be lost again.

Plus, even with Finasteride or Dutasteride used in combination, the overall results seem to be that you may gain some back on the crown, and otherwise future hair loss may be averted, but I have, for the most part, never seen anyone get their entire original head of hair back (a couple of notable exceptions exist online...but, I think those are rare).

I initially didn't want to use wigs or hair systems, but I think they would actually be less work than having to apply Minoxidil twice a day, and arguably less expensive....AND, no guarantee of good results with Minoxidil.  I've warmed up to wigs and toppers a lot more now. :)

Otherwise, the only other option would be transplants, but to get good results, a good donor area is required (and a giant bag of money to give to the surgeon who is skilled enough to make it look good).

Yeah I don't have money for surgery, and I'd prefer not going that route, but maybe in the future if I do have money I'd go with it if nothing else works.
I heard someone talk about using minoxidil and gain hair, and then trying to slowly get off of it to not lose the hair, though I don't know if that actually works.

I don't really like the idea of always having something on my head, I'd rather have my own hair, but it is still something I might end up doing wigs in the future, i dunno.

Finasteride really only is worth it if someone doesn't have their testosterone suppressed. My t blockers are pretty strong so it should basically come to the same, I think. But I have heard that combined with estrogen it can sometimes make hair grow back. but it depends on the person I guess.
I'd use minoxidil if it wasn't for the reason we mentioned.

Tags: