Author Topic: Hair loss solutions?  (Read 1358 times)

Offline Rakel

• Formerly known as Dani
  • Rakel@susans.org
Re: Hair loss solutions?
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2020, 05:36:01 am »
Platelet Rich Plasma is your own blood, just somewhat concentrated. I had PRP injections at the same time as my hair transplants. PRP is very effective in increasing the survival rate of the transplanted hairs.

As a treatment for male pattern baldness, I do not understand the science behind any claims of effectiveness without any hair transplants.

Offline TSL_NB

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2020, 10:45:53 am »
Saw Palmetto is a herbal product that is sold as a nutritional supplement in the US. It is available all over the world as well. This plant does contain compounds known as phytoestrogens. These are very weak compounds that do mimic Estradiol somewhat. These are commonly used by older cis women who are experiencing mild menopause symptoms.

If you are considering Saw Palmetto for the purpose of MTF transition, a few people have said limited things about this product, but the majority of us feel that it is too weak for complete MTF transition.  ???

For hair loss, this product is not effective. You may lower your Testosterone and DHT a little, but to stop hair loss, you need to greatly lower your DHT blood levels. This is just not strong enough to do much of anything.

Hi, Rakel....thanks for sharing that.

That was my suspicions on it as well, as I couldn't see how it directly interfaces with DHT in any meaningful way.

Aside from being able to start HRT, I think my recourse will go back to the plan of a hair transplant and hair system combination, once I can get the funds for it (I know that hair loss can affect anyone, but for me, that's been a really big dysphoria trigger over the years).   
It took over 40 years to realise, and believe, that what I am NOT, is a mistake.

Offline TSL_NB

« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2020, 01:59:37 pm »
The hair transplant looks really good. :)

(I had read that after the grafts heal, using Minoxidil on the area where the grafts were placed will accelerate the growth) 
It took over 40 years to realise, and believe, that what I am NOT, is a mistake.

Offline Rachel Montgomery

• Neighbor
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2020, 03:31:14 pm »
Lowering your testosterone level can stop hair loss and restore some hair, have you started HRT yet?
Sorry for taking so long to respond.  I haven't had a secure place to log on much since Covid.  Anyway, to answer your question, I have not started HRT.  But, my Total T was near zero For an extended time, and I didn't regrow any hair.  I don't take T, but I do take Clomid to offset an FSH and LH deficiency. 

I have been bald on top for more than 20 years.  I don't think it is coming back.  I am not sure I have enough to make a reasonably thick head of hair with transplants.   

Offline madeleine

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2020, 07:44:05 pm »
Sorry for taking so long to respond.  I haven't had a secure place to log on much since Covid.  Anyway, to answer your question, I have not started HRT.  But, my Total T was near zero For an extended time, and I didn't regrow any hair.  I don't take T, but I do take Clomid to offset an FSH and LH deficiency. 

I have been bald on top for more than 20 years.  I don't think it is coming back.  I am not sure I have enough to make a reasonably thick head of hair with transplants.

I also haven't started HRT and I've heard miracles happen, but I am skeptical like you.  I have classic male pattern baldness.  Bald spot on the crown and receding hairline.  My hair is very fine and thin too.  I have used rogaine for months now and taken biotin supplements, biotin supplements and shampoo, and nizoral.  I see no meaningful change yet. I'll be starting HRT soon - YAY!!! - and I am hoping for the best.

But plan B is a wig.  I've kind of made my peace with plan B if that is where I end up.  Go to a good wig shop, a trans friendly shop if there is one in your area.  You have to spend some money but OMG it is amazing what they can do!  Many cis women wear wigs all the time and some you just can't tell unless you are really looking for it.  And who the hell cares about people that are looking that hard at your hair!  I had some cheap wigs to start - forget that. My photo does not do it justice.  People are amazed. Just go take a look.

EDIT - I'm not advising against transplants and the advice from other girls here!  I may try that too and that is why I read this thread!  Just want to put another option out there.  I know other girls at Susan's use wigs too.

Offline TSL_NB

« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2020, 01:56:31 pm »
I also haven't started HRT and I've heard miracles happen, but I am skeptical like you.  I have classic male pattern baldness.  Bald spot on the crown and receding hairline.  My hair is very fine and thin too.  I have used rogaine for months now and taken biotin supplements, biotin supplements and shampoo, and nizoral.  I see no meaningful change yet. I'll be starting HRT soon - YAY!!! - and I am hoping for the best.

But plan B is a wig.  I've kind of made my peace with plan B if that is where I end up.  Go to a good wig shop, a trans friendly shop if there is one in your area.  You have to spend some money but OMG it is amazing what they can do!  Many cis women wear wigs all the time and some you just can't tell unless you are really looking for it.  And who the hell cares about people that are looking that hard at your hair!  I had some cheap wigs to start - forget that. My photo does not do it justice.  People are amazed. Just go take a look.

EDIT - I'm not advising against transplants and the advice from other girls here!  I may try that too and that is why I read this thread!  Just want to put another option out there.  I know other girls at Susan's use wigs too.

Hey Madeleine, that makes two of us.....I'm glad wigs are a viable option, no matter what our hair condition is.

The one thing I would like to do, though, is try to get a transplant just for the hairline and frontal area.  I think this would allow for other options like toppers (where you have a good hairline and frontal hair to allow for clip-ins, etc).

« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 04:00:50 pm by TSL_NB »

Offline madeleine

« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2020, 05:19:58 pm »

Hey Madeleine, that makes two of us.....I'm glad wigs are a viable option, no matter what our hair condition is.

The one thing I would like to do, though, is try to get a transplant just for the hairline and frontal area.  I think this would allow for other options like toppers (where you have a good hairline and frontal hair to allow for clip-ins, etc).

That totally makes sense and sounds like a viable plan.  I should probably look at toppers myself.

Offline TSL_NB

« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2020, 11:49:16 am »
That totally makes sense and sounds like a viable plan.  I should probably look at toppers myself.

I found some good Jon Renau synthetic ones (top full, 18 inch, is the one I'm wanting to use, but they are pretty pricey, even for a synthetic one). 

The only problem is the clips in the front don't have a whole lot to grab onto without making my forehead too big (I wanted to make it as low-maintenance as possible, so ideally, I'd like to avoid wig caps and such....but, if I have to use them, I will).

Offline madeleine

« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2020, 12:21:55 pm »
I found some good Jon Renau synthetic ones (top full, 18 inch, is the one I'm wanting to use, but they are pretty pricey, even for a synthetic one). 

The only problem is the clips in the front don't have a whole lot to grab onto without making my forehead too big (I wanted to make it as low-maintenance as possible, so ideally, I'd like to avoid wig caps and such....but, if I have to use them, I will).

My wig is Jon Renau.  It was worth the money.

Offline Dayle1957

• I am a girl, I have always been a girl
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2020, 01:54:21 pm »
I am having good results with Finasteride and "Rogaine".  My hair is much thicker and healthier now and I have started to regain the hair at my crown.

Unfortunately no help for the receding hairline, but I can style it to look pretty good for an "old lady".

Dayle

Offline TSL_NB

« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2020, 05:50:46 am »
My wig is Jon Renau.  It was worth the money.

Hey Madeleine, since this post, I splurged and picked up another Jon Renau wig, and I now definitely agree.  I'm really impressed with it (this colour is a near-perfect match....REALLY good for a synthetic fibre).
« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 08:11:56 am by TSL_NB »

Offline Ellie_Arroway

• ellie_arroway@susans.org
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2020, 07:11:30 am »
I'm at stage 7 Norwood scale and type VII Hamilton classification. I have a small amount of growth on the scalp. I believe it's been like that for around 20 years.

I've just started taking Finasteride for it, though I realistically don't expect any significant level of improvement.

I have a lot of cheap wigs from Amazon, and I do like them. I get to change my hairstyle whenever I please; I love that! Quality is variable; some are really nice and some are not so nice.
Started seriously questioning: 24 Aug 2019
Referred to GIC: 23 Sep 2019
Full-time female presentation since: 21 Oct 2019, unbroken since 12 Dec 2019
Official name change by deed poll: 11 Nov 2019
HRT: "kind of" started 15 Jul 2020
Most of my story is in the Just another mtf tale thread!
Twitch streamer MusicEllie

Offline TSL_NB

« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2020, 08:06:41 am »
I'm at stage 7 Norwood scale and type VII Hamilton classification. I have a small amount of growth on the scalp. I believe it's been like that for around 20 years.

I've just started taking Finasteride for it, though I realistically don't expect any significant level of improvement.

I have a lot of cheap wigs from Amazon, and I do like them. I get to change my hairstyle whenever I please; I love that! Quality is variable; some are really nice and some are not so nice.

I had the same experience with Amazon.  One of the wigs I purchased was very impressive, whereas the other one was absolute rubbish.

I initially didn't want to spend extra money on a hair system, but I'm glad I picked up the Renau one; it made a world of difference.

Online Sarah-Red

• Love <3
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2020, 09:39:06 am »
I need help with my hair. It's one of the sources of annoyance and misery. I was hoping being on hormones would significantly help, but I've been almost a year on hrt and there's been a little growth but it's so thin and light that it doesn't show. At this rate even with many years I don't know if it'd show much. I'm still trying to keep open, but I really want a full head of hair.

I can't afford a hair transplant. How much are the less costly ones?
I've been using all sorts of hair products and oils that are supposed to be good for hair growth and had great reviews, and it might've helped a little, I don't know. I had hair growth shampoo and conditioner before i started hrt and it didn't seem to help at all, and the chemicals only seemed to make me lose more hair, so I stopped washing my hair with harsh chemicals entirely. Still, whenever I do wash my hair with my mild shampoo, it seems to make my little hairs look even thinner that sometimes I can't see them.

I'm kinda of desperate about it, I don't want to wear something on my head all the time, and I'm not ready to try wearing wigs.

There's one more thing in store I want to try in the next months, but anyway I wanted to post and possibly get help one way or another regarding this.

Tags: