Author Topic: Hair loss solutions?  (Read 2095 times)

Offline madeleine

Re: Hair loss solutions?
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2020, 10:45:27 am »
Thanks madelaine. I want to try whatever I can without rogaine for now, because I heard that it's hard to come off it without losing the hair that was grown with it, and I don't want to keep using it for the rest of my life unless I have no other option (And if money wasn't an issue then I'd be tempted to go for implants, which is another sort of last resort.)

I know to sterilize the dermaroller, I bought rubbing alcohol and will boil water too. And 1.5 in length for the scalp, while I have some other ones for other stuff.  I don't know if there's anything else I need to know about it.
I actually do have 'some' hair growth since last year, but the hair is very thin and light, so it doesn't show. I'm hoping there's some way to thicken and help more hair growth somehow.

Hi Sarah, it sounds like you've done your research. The other thing is how frequently you should do it. I'm doing once a week at most.

@TSL_NB. That's a good idea.  I'll keep that in mind if my growing project does not work out.

Offline Sarah-Red

• Love <3
« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2020, 11:35:37 am »
Hi Sarah, it sounds like you've done your research. The other thing is how frequently you should do it. I'm doing once a week at most.

@TSL_NB. That's a good idea.  I'll keep that in mind if my growing project does not work out.

Yes I did happen on an article where it said once every 1 or 2 weeks for that needle length. Smaller length can be every few days. I'd rather needle my head only once per week anyway XD

Offline TSL_NB

« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2020, 04:41:59 pm »

Thanks, Madeleine. :)   
The image quality is pretty lousy, but this is the Top Full I have here, just to give an idea:

(I'm not at a point to fully show myself, but hopefully this helps.)
It took over 40 years to realise, and believe, that what I am NOT, is a mistake.

(Yes, I'm a Canadian who served in the US Navy....)

Offline RandyL

• On the way
« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2020, 12:54:26 pm »
About having to keep using Rogaine forever, does anyone know if that still applies if you're also using a T or DHT (eg Finasteride) blocker?

I've gotten some light regrowth on my crown with 10 months on Finasteride, but far from anything that would let me go without a wig or hat. I'm really taking it to shrink my prostate.

Sent from my dual-floppy Victor 9000 using Tapatalk

Casting about for my best path forward...

My personal blog thread: Randy the lost traveler, finding the right road at last

My HRT thread: Randy's HRT Journal

Offline Kate.claire

« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2020, 01:24:40 pm »
Can't say with certainty, as we are kind of unique in that sense.  Rogaine is a vasodilator, so it's believe to be primarily effecting hair growth through driving increased blood flow to the scalp area where it is applied.  Given that, I would guess that discontinuing it may lead to some loss again in response to the decreased blood flow, though maybe not to the level that a male with DHT might experience.  Personally, I've committed to using it.  Fortunate that cost is not an issue, so I just added it to the list of other things I have to do daily to maintain myself... shampoo, conditioner, lotions, dental care, hair styling products, and now Rogaine.

It's been nearly two years, I recovered a lot, but I think I'm losing it all over again, lots of shedding the last few months.  I soooo loved going bald the first time, so awesome that I get to relive going bald all over again.  All my levels are great, and I still use finasteride and rogaine, but nothing is keeping that hair on my head now, maybe glue?  ;)

Offline LaRae

• "No one ever wetted clay and then left it, as if there would be bricks by chance and fortune."
  • Friend
« Reply #45 on: August 23, 2020, 03:26:02 pm »

It's been nearly two years, I recovered a lot, but I think I'm losing it all over again, lots of shedding the last few months.  I soooo loved going bald the first time, so awesome that I get to relive going bald all over again.  All my levels are great, and I still use finasteride and rogaine, but nothing is keeping that hair on my head now, maybe glue?  ;)

Same here. I'd posted here a few months ago abut how I'd regained a lot of hair through HRT, but now I'm shedding copious amounts & my part is beginning to become threadbare. I'm in a bit of a panic mode myself.   :(

Setting up an appointment this week to see my doctor (Who I haven't seen in nearly a year thanks to Covid) and schedule an orchiectomy, as at my last appointment my T levels weren't dropping at all & while I don't know with all certainty this is the cause of my problem, it certainly isn't helping, & I can't just sit here & let myself go bald, my body revolting against me.
"Never forget what you are, the rest of the world will not. Wear it like armour and it can never be used to hurt you."

Offline TSL_NB

« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2020, 03:23:50 pm »
Same here. I'd posted here a few months ago abut how I'd regained a lot of hair through HRT, but now I'm shedding copious amounts & my part is beginning to become threadbare. I'm in a bit of a panic mode myself.   :(

Setting up an appointment this week to see my doctor (Who I haven't seen in nearly a year thanks to Covid) and schedule an orchiectomy, as at my last appointment my T levels weren't dropping at all & while I don't know with all certainty this is the cause of my problem, it certainly isn't helping, & I can't just sit here & let myself go bald, my body revolting against me.

Hey LaRae, I'm sorry to hear that. :( 

Did you ever try Finasteride or Dutasteride alongside the HRT, or did that not do anything?
It took over 40 years to realise, and believe, that what I am NOT, is a mistake.

Offline TSL_NB

« Reply #47 on: August 24, 2020, 03:30:41 pm »
Can't say with certainty, as we are kind of unique in that sense.  Rogaine is a vasodilator, so it's believe to be primarily effecting hair growth through driving increased blood flow to the scalp area where it is applied.  Given that, I would guess that discontinuing it may lead to some loss again in response to the decreased blood flow, though maybe not to the level that a male with DHT might experience.  Personally, I've committed to using it.  Fortunate that cost is not an issue, so I just added it to the list of other things I have to do daily to maintain myself... shampoo, conditioner, lotions, dental care, hair styling products, and now Rogaine.

I have heard about Minoxidil and topical Finasteride being used in tandem (no idea how topical Finsateride would work, though).

But yeah, Kate, the hair loss is just plain crummy. :(  Sorry to hear about those of us having to contend with it.

Offline LaRae

• "No one ever wetted clay and then left it, as if there would be bricks by chance and fortune."
  • Friend
« Reply #48 on: August 24, 2020, 06:21:19 pm »
Hey LaRae, I'm sorry to hear that. :( 

Did you ever try Finasteride or Dutasteride alongside the HRT, or did that not do anything?

I've been taking Finasteride for nearly a year, as well as Progesterone, plus the Estradiol & Spiro I've been taking for 21 months.  :-\
"Never forget what you are, the rest of the world will not. Wear it like armour and it can never be used to hurt you."

Offline Sarah-Red

• Love <3
« Reply #49 on: August 24, 2020, 06:24:33 pm »
Finasteride should help for hair loss but someone with their testosterone blocked shouldnt even need finasteride. But if the t levels are high enough, then maybe in that case. There could also be other health reason for hair lost. Like stress. Relaxing is a remedy  then :)

Offline madeleine

« Reply #50 on: August 24, 2020, 09:53:49 pm »
Kate.claire,  LaRae,  I'm screaming inside when I read your posts about loss after gain! Good luck, I hope you both get everything back!

Offline LaRae

• Friend
« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2020, 05:14:20 pm »
So I just realized something. A lot of what I'm losing, though certainly not all, has been quite short, very fine & thin hairs. like 3-4 inches, whereas most of my hair's nearly 12'. I've begun to wonder if this isn't the shedding I've heard about that happens with Finasteride before it grows back thicker. I'm certainly hoping that'a the case. Either way, Minodixil & an orchiectomy are on the horizon, because I will not just let it go.

Offline Alice

• The Battle Within
« Reply #52 on: August 25, 2020, 05:41:30 pm »
LaRae,

I have been using Finasteride for around 4.5 years. I had a lot of baby fine hair on top of my head which is gradually changing adult hair. I am hoping the wait will be worth it as I think in the end I will have good coverage on top.

Alice

Offline Kate.claire

« Reply #53 on: August 25, 2020, 09:19:33 pm »
So I just realized something. A lot of what I'm losing, though certainly not all, has been quite short, very fine & thin hairs. like 3-4 inches, whereas most of my hair's nearly 12'. I've begun to wonder if this isn't the shedding I've heard about that happens with Finasteride before it grows back thicker. I'm certainly hoping that'a the case. Either way, Minodixil & an orchiectomy are on the horizon, because I will not just let it go.

Actually, that's generally the case for me as well.  Light thin ones of shorter length.  I've yet to see the longer thick ones give up the ghost.  I don't know what to make of it just yet... hopefully you are right on the shedding front.  I'm just over a year into both Finasteride and Minoxidil.  I had really low T levels, but I figured it couldn't hurt, and didn't want to wonder "what if".  Going to try PRP soon too, it's mixed on results, but I can afford to waste the money, and I'll do anything short of a hair transplant to get what I can back.  Just don't want the big scar on the back of my head if I ever decide it's not good enough and shave it again.  The FUE method is not likely to yield enough donor hairs. Rather spend the money on an orchi also, maybe then I could cut all Finasteride and just have to take E injections from now on.

Such a slow process, I need to not look in the mirror for another 6 months, but that's impossible given how vain I am.  Vain and self-critical... I'm so much fun!  ;D

Best wishes LaRae, don't let that gorgeous hair go away!

Offline Sarah-Red

• Love <3
« Reply #54 on: October 24, 2020, 03:18:15 pm »
I've been looking into hair transplants, because I really want hair on my head. But I think it'll just be too expensive unless I can make some money. And I'm not really up to the kinds of jobs around here. Not sure what I'm gonna do yet.

Tags: