General Discussions > Education

Having a hard time studying

<< < (2/3) > >>

Paul Muad-Dib:
I have problems retaining information from study. I tend to forget most of the content of my essays from the first semester by the end of the third.

Repetition works for me to some extent, the repeat method of reading over the same information and testing yourself on recalling it, or the repeat-at-intervals method, 1 hour on, 2 hours on, later that night, next day, and end of the week, etc..

Otherwise I have found consuming raw blueberries to improve my memory.

Some people find classical music helpful, but I need silence to read.

JanePlain:
I'm suprised no one mentioned hrt.  Without my personal mix I'm a mess.  Its mood, enegry mental clarity etc.  Therapy and meds for depression and anxiety don't hurt either.  If school is really just memorizing things to pass tests I would jump out the window.  Read! If you can make a dent in the schools library it will take you far further then memorizing things just long enough to pass tests.  Real work and genius is rarely connected with the ability to recite correct answers to tests without knowing what they mean.

Do what your passionate about!  I can't tell you how sad the story of my therapist is who studied business for a degree that she eventually tossed so she could start from scratch and do something that meant something to her.

BrightWindow:
I don't have too much of a problem studying except I have a tendency to get a little distracted. I do not know for sure whether or not hrt will change this but I am optimistic it will have no significant negative effect.

Vicente:
@Paul Muad-Dib

I'll look into this method you mentioned, finding an effective way to study been kinda hard. A college suggested mental maps too but I have absolute no idea on how to do them. Unfortunately there's no blueberries in my country! Also I need heavy metal to study, it makes my focus better, never tried classical though, I'll also give it a go.

@JanePlain

And I'm surprised you mentioned it tbh. Had absolutely no clue HRT played a role on studying, though it does make sense, also I have a appointment for next month and will ask for a psychologist, I'm optimistic about starting therapy. I started to see more meaning on what I'm studying since I first made the topic. As much it's not my absolute passion, it's something I'm interested on and since it requires a lot of studying, it keeps me occupied (though retaining information been a challenge for a while). Happy for your therapist though!

@BrightWindow

Distractions. Tell me about it. Listening music on YouTube is my biggest issue because of the recommendation feed. From what Jane said, HRT actually helps, and I sure hope so!

BrightWindow:

--- Quote from: Vicente on March 18, 2020, 03:51:50 pm ---@Paul Muad-Dib

I'll look into this method you mentioned, finding an effective way to study been kinda hard. A college suggested mental maps too but I have absolute no idea on how to do them. Unfortunately there's no blueberries in my country! Also I need heavy metal to study, it makes my focus better, never tried classical though, I'll also give it a go.

@JanePlain

And I'm surprised you mentioned it tbh. Had absolutely no clue HRT played a role on studying, though it does make sense, also I have a appointment for next month and will ask for a psychologist, I'm optimistic about starting therapy. I started to see more meaning on what I'm studying since I first made the topic. As much it's not my absolute passion, it's something I'm interested on and since it requires a lot of studying, it keeps me occupied (though retaining information been a challenge for a while). Happy for your therapist though!

@BrightWindow

Distractions. Tell me about it. Listening music on YouTube is my biggest issue because of the recommendation feed. From what Jane said, HRT actually helps, and I sure hope so!

--- End quote ---

Mostly stuff on the computer which can distract me, music on YouTube definitely being one of them

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version