Author Topic: work stress/depression  (Read 674 times)

Offline davina61

• The ramblings of an old dear
work stress/depression
« on: February 29, 2020, 02:04:18 pm »
Yes stress and depression not helped by dysphoria with the uniform and misgendering . most days after starting at 8 am with my first car inspection booked at 8.30  and then every 50 mins till 12 .40 lunch. then 1,3 till 5 50 and we finish at 6pm. I don't stop between tests as no time , get stressed about keeping on time and have to rush every thing just to keep up and now we have to work off tablets that take twice as long to use as pen and paper. Just so tired when I get home, comfort eating and getting depressed as not losing weight  . Just had enough , tears as I do this and don't know what to do. Its a year till I can retire , a year to long. Trouble is every one (apart from BFF) say its ONLY a year when one more day is a struggle. Need to pay the rent and stuff but this is the only job I have done for the past 50 years. Doc was no help either (just a year) . Might just have a melt down and walk out--------
a long time coming (out) HRT 12 2017

Jill of all trades mistress of non
Know a bit about everything but not enough to be clever.
I get pushed out of shape and its hard to steer when I get rubber in all 4 gears (Beach Boys ,little deuce coupe)

Online Northern Star Girl

• Previously Alaskan Danielle
  • northernstargirl@susans.org
Re: work stress/depression
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2020, 02:17:12 pm »
@davina61
Dear Davina:
I am sorry to hear of your dismay and depression with your work and also with things going on in your personal life.
Please don't meltdown, and do not "walk out" of your present employment without having something else lined up.

One of the reasons that I left my old "male mode" accounting job was that I was sick and tired of the corporate politics...  the standard operating procedure in many corporations is "cover your butt" with memos and other written and verbal communication.  Even then the corporate politics can still go badly.   

I know that you have a trade and skills that can be applied to other places of employment, or perhaps it might be time to start your own business.....(custom clocks made with old auto parts?) ;).  ...

I quit the corporate environment... that is what I did when I was transitioning to full time .....   I would have to think long and hard about working for someone else again, i would make a very poor employee now that I have been on my own for over 3 years.   The hours are long at times, the company paid free benefits and vacations are not there, but I have the freedom to handle my business and my schedule as long it is prudent to do so.   

I am wishing you well with your decisions about what you may plan to do to handle your debilitating depression on both your job and your personal life.

Please keep writing... venting is good!!!!
HUGS and best wishes as always to you.... 
Danielle

Yes stress and depression not helped by dysphoria with the uniform and misgendering . most days after starting at 8 am with my first car inspection booked at 8.30  and then every 50 mins till 12 .40 lunch. then 1,3 till 5 50 and we finish at 6pm. I don't stop between tests as no time , get stressed about keeping on time and have to rush every thing just to keep up and now we have to work off tablets that take twice as long to use as pen and paper. Just so tired when I get home, comfort eating and getting depressed as not losing weight  . Just had enough , tears as I do this and don't know what to do. Its a year till I can retire , a year to long. Trouble is every one (apart from BFF) say its ONLY a year when one more day is a struggle. Need to pay the rent and stuff but this is the only job I have done for the past 50 years. Doc was no help either (just a year) . Might just have a melt down and walk out--------
***SEE MY LINKS BELOW
The Ramblings of a Northern*Star Girl
A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles
I am the HUNTED PREY: Danielle’s Chronicles
Things change re: ALASKAN DANIELLE
Positive Mindset... put away negativity

Started HRT:   March 2015
Went Full-Time    December 2016
Quit my male-mode job and relocated to a very small town in Alaska in January 2017
I'm a blonde, blue eyed woman, Age 41

Offline Maid Marion

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2020, 02:26:56 pm »
Hi Davina,

Sorry to hear of your struggles.  Maybe there is something  you can do to make your gender more obvious that doesn't take too much work.  Maybe really obvious nail polish and lipstick.  I've seen GGs put bright streaks of color in their hair when they get pixie cuts.

I haven't retired, but my stress level when way down after I figured I'd have the finances to retire right now. As well as doing a "test run" of what I could do if I retired and the financial markets melted down at the wrong time.  I discovered I could drop my electric bill down to $35 a month!  I do have oil heat that runs at $200 a month. 

Marion

Offline davina61

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2020, 02:32:23 pm »
Well I did run my own garage for 10 years but had to give up due to lack of work (long story and broke my marriage) so working for someone else does not go down well. Multi national company as well and its all about bottom line , waste £s and moan about the penny's . The amount of b/s paper work about work motivation we get is unreal while screwing any bonus scheme so we don't earn any. I would love to work for myself making clocks, repurposing "junk" into lights and things like that but it wont pay the bills. That has to wait till I retire. Looks like that part bottle of wine will not last the night , have to work tomorrow as well as its "busy" time . more BS .   I do have my nails painted ( get wrecked quick!) and some times lippy , my dry lip balm is bright red !!1
Its the work load getting me down, I will be 65 in a few weeks time and it would not have bothered me in my 20s as have worked harder but with no pressure then.

I get pushed out of shape and its hard to steer when I get rubber in all 4 gears (Beach Boys ,little deuce coupe)

Offline randim

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2020, 09:39:34 pm »
Davina,

I feel you.  I'm 66, been at the same company 36 years, and I've pretty much had it up to my eyeballs with the place.  I've felt like every day was one too many for the last several years.  But time zips by.  Not a good thing, but it really does.  You'll be walking out that door before you know it.  Big hugs to you hun. 

Online Rachel_Christina

• Family
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2020, 02:02:39 am »
Having the own garage is balls, guys never wanting to pay up on time. Once the cars in bits and in the road you still got a work on and get it out of there.

I would say the MOT centre is a very masculine spot with very masculine people in general, if the guys are being nice and trying to help out it would make it half the battle.
How is your work are they at least nice to you? Worst part about it too is you have to meet so many randoms that come in for the test alone.

I'm lucky cars for me is only a side line, I take on jobs only I want to do, for family and friends.

Offline davina61

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2020, 03:14:45 am »
Works fine, they have to be by law. Its just a couple of staff that knew me before still slip up. Its more the attitude TBH as they still treat me as male even when they gender me correctly. The branch is fine its just the upper mismanagement !!

Offline Oldandcreaky

• Family
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2020, 07:07:59 am »
Working in a garage at 65 sounds brutal. No wonder you want to walk. As others advised, just hang tough and soon you'll be walking and talking like Billy Shakes: "How beauteous mankind is! O brave new world, That has such people in't!"

Offline sandrauk

• Friend
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2020, 07:34:40 am »
maybe you could work as a mobile mechanic. I've used click mechanics a few times since cars got more complicated. I've just had the cam belt changed £279 and they charge £70 ish for a diagnostic visit
There's commission to pay but it sounds like a living  and most customers probably want evening work so you could start small.

Offline davina61

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2020, 10:47:51 am »
Cant do spanner work any more due to damaged wrist so that's out . used the tablet at work today and it took me 65 mins to do a test and its a 50 min slot. Did it as fast as I could as well. Think something brown and smelly is going to hit the fan on Monday---------

Offline Maddie

• Family
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2020, 01:50:30 pm »
I will stand by, wearing a raincoat.

If the managementalists did your job, they'd change the procedure rules quick.

Offline CynthiaAnn

• like totally dig that pacific pulse....
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2020, 02:22:01 pm »
I would say the MOT centre is a very masculine spot with very masculine people in general

I agree with Rachel Christina above, masculinity is entrenched in this trade, even though many girls work it, they adapt to the ways of the "man shop", I would have to say it comes with the territory, not anything you are doing Davina. It's hard, when there are the reminders of that past, like an old ghost that won't die away. Myself I am on the cusp of ending my relationship with the corporate world, but hanging in there on fumes. Hope you can too.

C
kindness is love nurturing your soul....

Offline davina61

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2020, 04:21:30 pm »
managed today just, had a couple of moments . Mid afternoon I had enough feeling so exhausted with no gaps between tests. Its alright for the techs doing service/repairs as they are not on the clock . Working non stop from 8.30 till 12.40 just washed out and brain done in . Its the stress of missing something due to rushing knowing big brother could be turning up any time to check , sat up the road on his lap top watching the results. Should have an assistant as well but that's not happened yet , more to worry about .

Offline davina61

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2020, 01:54:55 pm »
Well training on the tablets today, supposed to fill in tyre size age tread before starting test <I don't understand> so I have had enough. Off to Doc tomorrow .

Online Rachel_Christina

• Family
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2020, 02:54:28 pm »
That's so <poo>, hope the doc can come up with something worth while.
I spent all day getting a daihatsu ready for MOT today actually, had some time do my old Honda's abit after :')

Offline davina61

« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2020, 03:21:51 pm »
yes it is <not allowed> as not given any extra time.

Tags: