Author Topic: Coronavirus?  (Read 22584 times)

Offline Lisa89125

• Family
Coronavirus?
« on: March 02, 2020, 07:55:32 pm »
Anyone else worried about this Coronavirus?

I'm getting a bit panicky since a new case showed up in my state today.

Lisa
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 03:05:56 pm by Lisa89125 »
"My inner self knows better than my outer self my true gender"

Offline Jessica

• I love you. No...... I might not know you, but if folk can hate for no good reason, I can love.
Re: Coronavirus?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2020, 08:18:28 pm »
Wash your hands!

"If you go out looking for friends, you are going to find they are very scarce.  If you go out to be a friend, you'll find them everywhere."

Offline Devlyn

• The Forum Administrator
  • devlynmarie@susans.org
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2020, 08:41:38 pm »
Not worried. The list of things that were going to end the world in my lifetime were, among others, AIDS, Y2K, SARS, Lyme disease, Ebola, West Nile disease, Zika virus, and so on. The fact is, flu kills more people every year than any of the above mentioned afflictions...but the news cycle doesn't pick it up....
Veteran, US Army

Offline Tess100

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2020, 09:37:59 pm »
And apparently according to pbs if your in Hawaii, buy massive quantities of toilet paper.  :o

Offline Oldandcreaky

• Family
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2020, 09:56:16 pm »
Yes, I'm worried. The mortality rate is much greater than the flu and one infectious disease expert predicts that 40-70% of all Americans will contract it.

Online Northern Star Girl

• Previously Alaskan Danielle
  • northernstargirl@susans.org
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2020, 10:29:37 pm »
Yes, I'm worried. The mortality rate is much greater than the flu and one infectious disease expert predicts that 40-70% of all Americans will contract it.

@Oldandcreaky:
When NUMBERS like that are mentioned I would really like to
 read any documentation that can back it up.???
Can you post anything more specific???   Name, Source, Date, etc...? ???

Personally, I think that the Coronavirus is being over-hyped by the NEWS organizations ...
...this can lead to unfounded pandemonium and disruptions.  Time will tell....

Wash your hands very often and don't touch your face and stay a distance away from people that are sneezing, coughing and blowing their nose.
Be careful regarding shaking hands with others.

Best wishes to you, and stay safe.
Danielle

cc: @Jessica  @Devlyn  @Tess100  @Lisa89125
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 11:30:24 pm by Northern Star Girl »
***SEE MY LINKS BELOW
The Ramblings of a Northern*Star Girl
A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles
I am the HUNTED PREY: Danielle’s Chronicles
Things change re: ALASKAN DANIELLE
Positive Mindset... put away negativity

Started HRT:   March 2015
Went Full-Time    December 2016
Quit my male-mode job and relocated to a very small town in Alaska in January 2017
I'm a blonde, blue eyed woman, Age 41

Offline MistressStevie

• Neighbor
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2020, 10:55:48 pm »
This time next year we will be lamenting the political situation and wondering about which way the economy is going to go.   We will be worried about our friends and family and trying to find new ways to tread water or get ahead.   Covid-19 or Coronavirus will be be old news if it is remember much at all.   Smart folks will use this over reaction to actually include more continuity planning in their systems.   If Coronavirus is remembered at all it will be in comparison to all the the other end of times warnings that had minimal effect.   

Offline Danielle Kristina

• Friend
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2020, 11:55:49 pm »
I'm not worried.  Anyone remember the West Nile Virus, SARS, Bird Flu, Swine Flu, Ebola, or Zika?  Each one of these was supposed to doom us all, yet when was the last time anyone heard of one of these illnesses infecting someone?  One day an illness is the end of the world and everyone goes into Panic-Mode, then suddenly we never hear of it again.  Hmm... I wonder if the Coronavirus will suddenly disappear just like the others did.

Offline Rakel

• Formerly known as Dani
  • Rakel@susans.org
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2020, 05:22:50 am »
I am not worried at all about Coronavirus, in spite of the news media exaggeration of the health issues.

If you wish to minimize your risk do the following:

1. Wash your hands before putting anything to your mouth.
2. Cough or sneeze in a safe direction away from others.
3. Avoid large crowds.
4. Practice safe general hygiene and sanitation in yourself and in your home and surroundings.

Retired Pharmacist with over 40 years experience in Hospital and Retail Pharmacies.
I still keep my professional licence active and in good standing.

Offline Oldandcreaky

• Family
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2020, 07:17:58 am »
@Oldandcreaky:
When NUMBERS like that are mentioned I would really like to
 read any documentation that can back it up.???
Can you post anything more specific???   Name, Source, Date, etc...? ???

Personally, I think that the Coronavirus is being over-hyped by the NEWS organizations ...
...this can lead to unfounded pandemonium and disruptions.  Time will tell....

Wash your hands very often and don't touch your face and stay a distance away from people that are sneezing, coughing and blowing their nose.
Be careful regarding shaking hands with others.

Best wishes to you, and stay safe.
Danielle

cc: @Jessica  @Devlyn  @Tess100  @Lisa89125

Here's a Harvard epidemiologist who's estimating that 40-70% of us will contract the virus:  <Link not allowed>

If you don't do links, here's the summation sentence: "Harvard epidemiologist Marc Lipsitch told The Wall Street Journal that "it's likely we'll see a global pandemic" of coronavirus, with 40 to 70 percent of the world's population likely to be infected this year."

Here's another doc estimating from the same article: "Ira Longini, a biostatistician and adviser to the World Health Organization (WHO), has predicted that two-thirds of the global population may eventually contract COVID-19."

Here's yet another doc opining from the same article: "Prof Gabriel Leung, the chair of public health medicine at Hong Kong University, says if the transmission estimate of 2.5 additional people for each infected rate is accurate, that would result in an "attack rate" that would affect 60 to 80 percent of the world's population."

I assume all three are drawing from the scientific process, their experiences, available data, and a statistical approach. There hasn't been time for them to conduct studies and even if they had, I lack the vocabulary to decode such studies. Even their abstracts challenge me.

I further assume that various governments are lying, like the Americans and Chinese, as they've reasons to project a false, rosy outlook. I doubt the 3% mortality rate. Iran is reporting 8-18% mortality, as reported by The New Yorker.

Approximately 100 Americans are infected. Six are dead. That's a teeny sampling, but that's double the mortality rate reported by the Chinese.

Here's Harvard epidemiologist Marc Lipsitch again, from The Atlantic: “I think the likely outcome is that it will ultimately not be containable.”

And here's that link:  <Link not allowed>

Danielle Kristina wrote: "Anyone remember the West Nile Virus, SARS, Bird Flu, Swine Flu, Ebola, or Zika?"

Yes, of course. 

"Each one of these was supposed to doom us all,...."

No. No person of science ever said that.

"Yet when was the last time anyone heard of one of these illnesses infecting someone?"

They're all still with us. They still kill. For example, H5N1, aka bird flu, has a 60% mortality rate.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 08:57:32 am by Northern Star Girl »

Offline Oldandcreaky

• Family
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2020, 07:32:56 am »
In case you don't click on The Atlantic article, here's a telling paragraph which gives a fuller context to the second Lipsitch quote: "The Harvard epidemiology professor Marc Lipsitch is exacting in his diction, even for an epidemiologist. Twice in our conversation he started to say something, then paused and said, “Actually, let me start again.” So it’s striking when one of the points he wanted to get exactly right was this: “I think the likely outcome is that it will ultimately not be containable.”

I'm familiar with that pause. I interview many people of science and did coursework at Harvard Medical School. It's the pause of precision, of a person wanting to get it as right as they're possibly able, given all current data.

Online Northern Star Girl

• Previously Alaskan Danielle
  • northernstargirl@susans.org
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2020, 09:00:37 am »
@Oldandcreaky
Thank you for providing some additional information... interesting reading for sure.
 ...... time will tell if this becomes what some are predicting.

Best wishes to you and stay safe and healthy.

HUGS,
Danielle
***SEE MY LINKS BELOW
The Ramblings of a Northern*Star Girl
A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles
I am the HUNTED PREY: Danielle’s Chronicles
Things change re: ALASKAN DANIELLE
Positive Mindset... put away negativity

Started HRT:   March 2015
Went Full-Time    December 2016
Quit my male-mode job and relocated to a very small town in Alaska in January 2017
I'm a blonde, blue eyed woman, Age 41

Offline Oldandcreaky

• Family
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2020, 11:17:17 am »
Ah, I see now that susans.org didn't permit my links. Well, you can copy and paste the quotes along with the source material and do a search to read the quotes in context.

• Friend
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2020, 12:19:14 pm »

Danielle Kristina wrote: "Anyone remember the West Nile Virus, SARS, Bird Flu, Swine Flu, Ebola, or Zika?"

Yes, of course. 

"Each one of these was supposed to doom us all,...."

No. No person of science ever said that.

"Yet when was the last time anyone heard of one of these illnesses infecting someone?"

They're all still with us. They still kill. For example, H5N1, aka bird flu, has a 60% mortality rate.

Maybe no scientist said that those diseases would doom us all, but the media sure hyped it up as such and the public bought into it.  Yet here we are!    And if the illnesses that once sent the nation into panic are still with us, then why don't people mention them anymore?  HIV still gets mentioned frequently and not only has it been around for more than 30 years, but advances in medicines for the illness have since developed - yet we still hear about it.  Bird Flu, Swine Flu, etc. are not mentioned anymore, at least not on the news, social media, or in public conversations.  At their heights they were "Flavors of the Month," but not now.  So, this begs the question, "What's changed?"

I'm not advocating carelessness when it comes to these illnesses.  I too recommend taking care of oneself as measures to prevent catching the Corona Virus or whatever other sickness may be floating around.  What I'm saying, however, is that it is not time to go into Panic Mode.  Right now, the Corona Virus is the hot topic and thus it's getting all the "doom and gloom" attention.  The media hypes up whatever brings in the most ratings and the people eat it up.  Then we find ourselves in mass panic, all for the actual event to blow over and life gets back to normal. 

Let's not forget that car crashes, murders, wars, drug overdoses, other diseases, mortal injuries, and even old age kill people too, and each in greater numbers than the viruses I've mentioned - yet no body's panicking.  We live in a dangerous world.  I wish we didn't, but we do.  That's life.  Since none of us are getting out of this life alive anyway, let's live it to the fullest instead of trying to survive it by panicking. 

Again, not saying that the Corona Virus is not serious.  I'm saying that we've seen illnesses hyped up beyond necessity before.

Offline Devlyn

• devlynmarie@susans.org
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2020, 12:46:14 pm »
Ah, I see now that susans.org didn't permit my links. Well, you can copy and paste the quotes along with the source material and do a search to read the quotes in context.

From the Terms of Service:

Members with a post rank of "family" or higher may post links to off site information provided that the information does not otherwise violate the Terms of Service. This is a privilege that will be revoked if abused.

Links belong in the Links Directory, you are free to place them there if you wish.  :)
Veteran, US Army

Offline Devlyn

• devlynmarie@susans.org
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2020, 12:50:32 pm »

Maybe no scientist said that those diseases would doom us all, but the media sure hyped it up as such and the public bought into it.  Yet here we are!    And if the illnesses that once sent the nation into panic are still with us, then why don't people mention them anymore?  HIV still gets mentioned frequently and not only has it been around for more than 30 years, but advances in medicines for the illness have since developed - yet we still hear about it.  Bird Flu, Swine Flu, etc. are not mentioned anymore, at least not on the news, social media, or in public conversations.  At their heights they were "Flavors of the Month," but not now.  So, this begs the question, "What's changed?"

I'm not advocating carelessness when it comes to these illnesses.  I too recommend taking care of oneself as measures to prevent catching the Corona Virus or whatever other sickness may be floating around.  What I'm saying, however, is that it is not time to go into Panic Mode.  Right now, the Corona Virus is the hot topic and thus it's getting all the "doom and gloom" attention.  The media hypes up whatever brings in the most ratings and the people eat it up.  Then we find ourselves in mass panic, all for the actual event to blow over and life gets back to normal. 

Let's not forget that car crashes, murders, wars, drug overdoses, other diseases, mortal injuries, and even old age kill people too, and each in greater numbers than the viruses I've mentioned - yet no body's panicking.  We live in a dangerous world.  I wish we didn't, but we do.  That's life.  Since none of us are getting out of this life alive anyway, let's live it to the fullest instead of trying to survive it by panicking. 

Again, not saying that the Corona Virus is not serious.  I'm saying that we've seen hyped up beyond necessity before.

Indeed. Let's not forget, the human race hasn't produced a survivor yet.   :)

We all go when our number is called.
Veteran, US Army

Offline Oldandcreaky

• Family
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2020, 02:11:20 pm »
"...the media sure hyped it up as such...."

Sure, if it bleeds, it leads.

"And if the illnesses that once sent the nation into panic are still with us, then why don't people mention them anymore?"

Well, it's partly because we have, as a species, the attention span of butterflies. We always chasing the new shiny or fearing the new Grim Reaper.

Go to YouTube and do a search for "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it." and that summarizes my view of people.

Offline Lisa89125

• Family
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2020, 03:10:19 pm »
Hi everyone,

If one thing is certain, it's the use of this virus as political fodder. God, the commercials are enough to make you cringe. All of these candidates are trying to use this to their advantage one way or the other.

Lisa
"My inner self knows better than my outer self my true gender"

• Friend
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2020, 03:39:29 pm »
Hi everyone,

If one thing is certain, it's the use of this virus as political fodder. God, the commercials are enough to make you cringe. All of these candidates are trying to use this to their advantage one way or the other.

Lisa

Exactly!  That's a big reason I don't believe the hype about the Coronavirus or those other illnesses that send the masses into full-blown panic. 

Offline KateR

• Kate
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2020, 04:00:56 pm »
I’m a bit nervous, but not enough to alter my life.  We are replacing some almost empty hand sanitizer bottles, and making sure hands get sanitized or washed very frequently.

Just heard a news story indicating that the fatality rate has stabilized at about .7% (less than 1%).  Older people, above 70, seem to have a much higher fatality rate.  Yes, .7% is a higher rate than the flu, but still very low compared to other things we vaccinate for.  Hopefully, this will help us to develop processes for creating vaccines faster than we do today.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kate

Tags: