General Discussions > Health

Coronavirus?

<< < (2/102) > >>

Northern Star Girl:

--- Quote from: Oldandcreaky on March 02, 2020, 09:56:16 pm ---Yes, I'm worried. The mortality rate is much greater than the flu and one infectious disease expert predicts that 40-70% of all Americans will contract it.

--- End quote ---

@Oldandcreaky:
When NUMBERS like that are mentioned I would really like to
 read any documentation that can back it up.???
Can you post anything more specific???   Name, Source, Date, etc...? ???

Personally, I think that the Coronavirus is being over-hyped by the NEWS organizations ...
...this can lead to unfounded pandemonium and disruptions.  Time will tell....

Wash your hands very often and don't touch your face and stay a distance away from people that are sneezing, coughing and blowing their nose.
Be careful regarding shaking hands with others.

Best wishes to you, and stay safe.
Danielle

cc: @Jessica  @Devlyn  @Tess100  @Lisa89125

MistressStevie:
This time next year we will be lamenting the political situation and wondering about which way the economy is going to go.   We will be worried about our friends and family and trying to find new ways to tread water or get ahead.   Covid-19 or Coronavirus will be be old news if it is remember much at all.   Smart folks will use this over reaction to actually include more continuity planning in their systems.   If Coronavirus is remembered at all it will be in comparison to all the the other end of times warnings that had minimal effect.   

Danielle Kristina:
I'm not worried.  Anyone remember the West Nile Virus, SARS, Bird Flu, Swine Flu, Ebola, or Zika?  Each one of these was supposed to doom us all, yet when was the last time anyone heard of one of these illnesses infecting someone?  One day an illness is the end of the world and everyone goes into Panic-Mode, then suddenly we never hear of it again.  Hmm... I wonder if the Coronavirus will suddenly disappear just like the others did.

Rakel:
I am not worried at all about Coronavirus, in spite of the news media exaggeration of the health issues.

If you wish to minimize your risk do the following:

1. Wash your hands before putting anything to your mouth.
2. Cough or sneeze in a safe direction away from others.
3. Avoid large crowds.
4. Practice safe general hygiene and sanitation in yourself and in your home and surroundings.

Oldandcreaky:

--- Quote from: Northern Star Girl on March 02, 2020, 10:29:37 pm ---@Oldandcreaky:
When NUMBERS like that are mentioned I would really like to
 read any documentation that can back it up.???
Can you post anything more specific???   Name, Source, Date, etc...? ???

Personally, I think that the Coronavirus is being over-hyped by the NEWS organizations ...
...this can lead to unfounded pandemonium and disruptions.  Time will tell....

Wash your hands very often and don't touch your face and stay a distance away from people that are sneezing, coughing and blowing their nose.
Be careful regarding shaking hands with others.

Best wishes to you, and stay safe.
Danielle

cc: @Jessica  @Devlyn  @Tess100  @Lisa89125

--- End quote ---

Here's a Harvard epidemiologist who's estimating that 40-70% of us will contract the virus:  <Link not allowed>

If you don't do links, here's the summation sentence: "Harvard epidemiologist Marc Lipsitch told The Wall Street Journal that "it's likely we'll see a global pandemic" of coronavirus, with 40 to 70 percent of the world's population likely to be infected this year."

Here's another doc estimating from the same article: "Ira Longini, a biostatistician and adviser to the World Health Organization (WHO), has predicted that two-thirds of the global population may eventually contract COVID-19."

Here's yet another doc opining from the same article: "Prof Gabriel Leung, the chair of public health medicine at Hong Kong University, says if the transmission estimate of 2.5 additional people for each infected rate is accurate, that would result in an "attack rate" that would affect 60 to 80 percent of the world's population."

I assume all three are drawing from the scientific process, their experiences, available data, and a statistical approach. There hasn't been time for them to conduct studies and even if they had, I lack the vocabulary to decode such studies. Even their abstracts challenge me.

I further assume that various governments are lying, like the Americans and Chinese, as they've reasons to project a false, rosy outlook. I doubt the 3% mortality rate. Iran is reporting 8-18% mortality, as reported by The New Yorker.

Approximately 100 Americans are infected. Six are dead. That's a teeny sampling, but that's double the mortality rate reported by the Chinese.

Here's Harvard epidemiologist Marc Lipsitch again, from The Atlantic: “I think the likely outcome is that it will ultimately not be containable.”

And here's that link:  <Link not allowed>

Danielle Kristina wrote: "Anyone remember the West Nile Virus, SARS, Bird Flu, Swine Flu, Ebola, or Zika?"

Yes, of course. 

"Each one of these was supposed to doom us all,...."

No. No person of science ever said that.

"Yet when was the last time anyone heard of one of these illnesses infecting someone?"

They're all still with us. They still kill. For example, H5N1, aka bird flu, has a 60% mortality rate.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version