Author Topic: Coronavirus?  (Read 6812 times)

Offline RandyL

• Non-binary
Re: Coronavirus?
« Reply #320 on: May 18, 2020, 08:05:54 pm »

Was this SPAM?

Chrissy
If I ate Spam it would not end well

Sent from my dual-floppy Victor 9000 using Tapatalk

Casting about for my best path forward...

Offline Battle Goddess

• Friend
« Reply #321 on: May 18, 2020, 08:21:56 pm »
The virus has mutated multiple times since early days, but most mutations are not very significant.

I recently read a virologist saying much the same thing. She said that viruses mutate frequently; that almost all mutations are irrelevant; that most of the rest are bad for the virus, not for us; that only a few of the remainder ever make anything worse for us, and that "worse" is a matter of degree.

To me this makes sense. Of the kajillions of viruses in our biome, only a few are tuned just right to be able to get past our multilayer immune system. Mess with the codes that can do that at your peril.

Case in point, the strain that came in via Europe. It seems to be slightly outcompeting its West Coast cousin. It hasn't replaced its West Coast cousin. My simplistic conclusion would be that it sounds more virulent, but not by much, and it's a matter of degree.

Am I looking at this the right way?
Spironolactone January 10 2019
Divigel January 20 2019
Estradiol Valerate March 14 2019

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
  • No act of kindness, however small, is wasted.
« Reply #322 on: May 18, 2020, 08:57:54 pm »
I have purposefully paid great attention to when I want to touch my face, with all of this attention given to the Covid-19.  I can say that I never have touched my face when wearing personal protection gloves or masks.   That is good.

But what about when at home, when there is not a significant danger of infecting myself by face touching?  I noticed that there is a tendency to want to scratch or rub my face at times BUT if I simply tell myself not to, I will not.  Why does that not always work with eating chocolate? 

I have noticed that instead of touching my face now, when I get that urge to do so, I will instead put my hair behind my ears and say, itch please go away!  If the feeling persists that I must rub my eyes or scratch my neck or nose or forehead, I will go wash my face or take a shower.  I think that for the time being it is important to keep my hands off my face.

Be safe out there!

Chrissy

Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that your speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

Offline SadieBlake

« Reply #323 on: May 18, 2020, 10:04:53 pm »
Chrissy, just wash your hands before touching your face. Also, wearing a mask is a good reminder to not touch your face when you're out.

Randy, yes, all things mutate, covid19 changes often enough to make tracing easy, however it mutates much less often than influenza.

There's no (material) difference in the effects of different versions of covid19, one version is not more virulent than another. However we can figure out transmission history and the vectors aren't surprising, e.g. NYC has a huge and dense population and a *lot* of people travel to / from there. Hence a lot of areas can trace their outbreaks to NYC.

That's not different from the well known specific vectoring incidents, such as a party in Connecticut which spread in a lot of directions or the February international meeting held by Biogen in my area which spawned 80 very early local cases..
🌈👭 lesbian, troublemaker ;-) 🌈🏳️‍🌈

Offline Devlyn

• The Forum Administrator
  • devlynmarie@susans.org
« Reply #324 on: May 19, 2020, 01:45:30 am »
My state (Minnesota) has decided its more important to deal with the economy then Covid19.  I expect after a week of having more things open some state level genius will say "No spike in cases" (never mind it takes 2 weeks to show symptoms)  Sometimes it helps to give some numbers.  Forget the number diagnosed or the number tested.  Just ponder the dead.  Add up US soldiers who died in the Korean, Vietnam, Iraq and Afghan wars (combined) and your still short of the current US dead.  World wide it just becomes so depressing I can't do an analogy.  I was just a kid but when I think of the Vietnam War I think of how everyone knew someone that died or came home shot up. 

The last time I went to the grocery store (during lockdown) more then half the people clearly didn't do anything (masks, gloves etc) and today the Gov has decided to reopen the economy.  Then on public radio I listened to some dolt say how starvation killed a lot of people and we threw out enough people to feed them.  So? we should ignore the pandemic?  More reports (Now from the Navy) that sailors who were infected once have been reinfected.  There has been a question about this which no one seems to think is important.  SIGH....  It seems like many very basic questions are still out there and no one is answering them and numbers mean nothing.

Search for Covid19 and worldometer.  You can look at some graphs that show how the USA has done an spectacularly bad job of contraining the Virus compared to.... Everywhere else.  If you look at the graphs of infections and deaths they all seem to me to be straight lines going up at around a 45 degree angle.  If you don't trust this web site I urge you to check out the figures at other web sites but beware some will default to logarithmic scale where thngs look a little (not much) better.  Not many people have even heard of the 1918 Pandemic because it was supressed news because of WWI but I think its worth study.

One last comment then I'm done.  In previous pandemics the ages of those the Virus was most deadly to changed because the Virus underwent mutations.  I've only heard it reported once that there is already a new mutation. If true it wouldn't be the first time.   I'm praying for this to just stop and all of you to be well.

Has it come to cannibalism now?  :laugh:
Veteran, US Army

Offline Arch

• The Boy from Venus
  • Elves be queer folk indeed.
« Reply #325 on: May 23, 2020, 07:42:00 pm »
Has it come to cannibalism now?  :laugh:

SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!!!
"The hammer is my penis." --Captain Hammer

"When all you have is a hammer . . ." --Anonymous carpenter

Offline Battle Goddess

• Friend
« Reply #326 on: May 23, 2020, 08:10:17 pm »
SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!!!
/me gingerly puts jar of Trader Joe's Soylent Green back on the shelf

Divigel January 20 2019

Offline Northern Star Girl

• Previously Alaskan Danielle
  • northernstargirl@susans.org
« Reply #327 on: May 24, 2020, 12:28:49 pm »
***SEE MY LINKS BELOW
The Ramblings of a Northern*Star Girl
A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles
I am the HUNTED PREY: Danielle’s Chronicles
Things change re: ALASKAN DANIELLE
Positive Mindset... put away negativity

Started HRT:   March 2015
Went Full-Time    December 2016
Quit my male-mode job and relocated to a very small town in Alaska in January 2017
I'm a blonde, blue eyed woman, Age 40

Offline RandyL

• Non-binary
« Reply #328 on: May 24, 2020, 09:02:07 pm »

@Arch  @Battle Goddess  @Devlyn

Danielle

Best joke of the week

Sent from my dual-floppy Victor 9000 using Tapatalk

Casting about for my best path forward...

Offline Battle Goddess

• Friend
« Reply #329 on: June 01, 2020, 12:30:05 pm »
It came on overnight, my morning coffee was just a hot drink. I like it sweet, but it wasn't there at all. Then at lunch there was no smell or taste at all. It lasted a couple of days, then coffee was sweet again one morning.
From an article in today's WSJ:

"Out of 417 patients who suffered mild to moderate forms of Covid-19 in Europe, 88% and 86% reported taste and smell dysfunctions, respectively, according to a study published in April in the European Archives of Oto-Rhino-Laryngology.

Most patients said they couldn’t taste or smell even after other symptoms were gone. Preliminary data showed at least a quarter of people regained their ability to taste and smell within two weeks of other symptoms dissipating. The study said long-term data are needed to assess how long this can last in people who didn’t report an improvement."

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Divigel January 20 2019

Offline Devlyn

• The Forum Administrator
  • devlynmarie@susans.org
« Reply #330 on: June 01, 2020, 02:48:50 pm »
It came on overnight, my morning coffee was just a hot drink. I like it sweet, but it wasn't there at all. Then at lunch there was no smell or taste at all. It lasted a couple of days, then coffee was sweet again one morning.
From an article in today's WSJ:

"Out of 417 patients who suffered mild to moderate forms of Covid-19 in Europe, 88% and 86% reported taste and smell dysfunctions, respectively, according to a study published in April in the European Archives of Oto-Rhino-Laryngology.

Most patients said they couldn’t taste or smell even after other symptoms were gone. Preliminary data showed at least a quarter of people regained their ability to taste and smell within two weeks of other symptoms dissipating. The study said long-term data are needed to assess how long this can last in people who didn’t report an improvement."

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I've been filling out a daily Covid symptoms tracker app for a study. About a week ago the daily questions included some about taking HRT.
Veteran, US Army

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
  • No act of kindness, however small, is wasted.
« Reply #331 on: June 01, 2020, 04:20:09 pm »
There is not that much talk about COVID in the USA the last few days, it is mostly about the justifiable peaceful protests across the nation.  Who would have thought a week ago that would be the case?

There is also much talk about those criminals who are NOT the peaceful protesters but who are oddballs behaving as hoodlums, thieves, and arsonists.

Chrissy
Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that your speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

Offline Arch

• The Boy from Venus
  • Elves be queer folk indeed.
« Reply #332 on: June 02, 2020, 12:47:08 pm »
I'll bet all of these demonstrations cause a spike in cases. If so, I hope it's small. I suppose we'll know more by the end of the week.
"The hammer is my penis." --Captain Hammer

"When all you have is a hammer . . ." --Anonymous carpenter

Offline barbie

• I change my avatar every week
« Reply #333 on: June 03, 2020, 03:17:57 pm »
My eldest son returned from Los Angeles 3 days ago. His virus test result was negative, but staying at home for 2 weeks is anyway mandatory. An aid package containing water, masks and food was delivered next day, and it looks enough for 2 weeks. I am going to consume the package.

My daughter went to her high school for the first time yesterday. She seemed to have had some trouble with her teacher.

I am glad that my son came here healthy. He said to me that nowadays protests are more serious than the covid-19 in LA. I urged him to say here until the US economy becomes stabilized enough for him to be able to work and earn money there. He said he learned carpentry from the internet to repair the house while locking down there for 3 months. He is going to touch up my house during the stay for 2 weeks. I let him order the necessary tools from the internet.

barbie~~
Just do it.

Offline Oldandcreaky

• Family
« Reply #334 on: June 03, 2020, 03:26:19 pm »
Barbie, I've missed your posts! Happy to read an update!

Offline barbie

« Reply #335 on: June 03, 2020, 03:58:18 pm »
Barbie, I've missed your posts! Happy to read an update!

Thanks! I have kept reading your new posts.

Finally, I finished setting up for Zoom class.

Hardware: A PC with 2 monitors, Galaxy Tab with a USB wire, and a smartphone. A total of 4 screens.
Software: Zoom, Mobizen, and Chrome remote desktop (from Tab to PC) https://remotedesktop.google.com/access/

Mobizen is nice because it supports USB connection (Wi-fi connection is unstable and slow).
I watch my smartphone screen to check what the students actually see by logging in Zoom with another account.
Chrome remote desktop is to capture the PC screen within the Tab, making notes and marks, then display it to Zoom.

Complicated, but I am already adapted to the new norm defined by the covid-19. I am going to replace as many as face-to-face meetings with remote ones, saving time and money.

One institute repeatedly urged me to attend a face-to-face meeting, but I insisted on online meeting. Now they say they are preparing and setting up for me to join the meeting through Zoom. Without Zoom, I have to spend the whole day to present for just 20 minutes with 10 minute Q/A.

barbie~~
Just do it.

Offline Oldandcreaky

• Family
« Reply #336 on: June 03, 2020, 04:41:46 pm »
Whoa, Barbie? Do you possess the technical expertise to configure all that yourself? If so, so impressive!

Offline barbie

« Reply #337 on: June 03, 2020, 10:35:55 pm »
Whoa, Barbie? Do you possess the technical expertise to configure all that yourself? If so, so impressive!

Just do it.

Offline Oldandcreaky

• Family
« Reply #338 on: June 04, 2020, 06:14:48 am »
So, you're got brains, beauty, and a sense of humor too!

Offline Rakel

• Formerly known as Dani
  • Rakel@susans.org
« Reply #339 on: June 04, 2020, 06:56:35 am »
So, you're got brains, beauty, and a sense of humor too!

Sometimes, two out of three isn't bad.  :-X  :laugh:

Tags: