Author Topic: Coronavirus?  (Read 11786 times)

Offline Ellie_Arroway

• ellie_arroway@susans.org
Re: Coronavirus?
« Reply #340 on: June 04, 2020, 07:24:25 am »
For myself, sometimes, two out of three isn't bad.  :-X  :laugh:

Nah, you've definitely got a sense of humour!  ;D
Started seriously questioning: 24 Aug 2019
Referred to GIC: 23 Sep 2019
Full-time female presentation since: 21 Oct 2019, unbroken since 12 Dec 2019
Official name change by deed poll: 11 Nov 2019
HRT: "kind of" started 15 Jul 2020
Most of my story is in the Just another mtf tale thread!
Twitch streamer MusicEllie

Offline Battle Goddess

• Family
« Reply #341 on: June 04, 2020, 07:46:26 am »
Unsure that came out as encouraging as you meant it.

"It's not really a choice. Because we're not choosing to transition...we're choosing to be happy." -- SarahC

Introductory Post: https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,242617.msg2196235.html

Whiny HRT and Transition Blog: https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,244163.msg2217618.html

Spironolactone January 10 2019
Divigel January 20 2019
Estradiol Valerate March 14 2019

Offline Devlyn

• The Forum Administrator
  • devlynmarie@susans.org
« Reply #342 on: June 04, 2020, 07:53:10 am »

I read it as three out of three ain't bad.
Veteran, US Army

Offline Ellie_Arroway

• ellie_arroway@susans.org
« Reply #343 on: June 04, 2020, 11:49:24 am »

It was meant as, well, actually, Rakel, you do have the three; you've just shown that by having the sense of humour. :) I do take your point, though!
Started seriously questioning: 24 Aug 2019
Referred to GIC: 23 Sep 2019
Full-time female presentation since: 21 Oct 2019, unbroken since 12 Dec 2019
Official name change by deed poll: 11 Nov 2019
HRT: "kind of" started 15 Jul 2020
Most of my story is in the Just another mtf tale thread!
Twitch streamer MusicEllie

Offline barbie

• I change my avatar every week
« Reply #344 on: June 04, 2020, 03:36:16 pm »
So, you're got brains, beauty, and a sense of humor too!

Thanks!

A drawback is that I am getting old. Yesterday night, I drank a lot with my friends in the restaurant of my another friend. One said I suddenly look older, but I do not care so much.

A professor from another department came to my office with his teaching assistant to learn how to set up and use Zoom, after reading my post and watching some photos on Facebook. I taught him step by step. He also asked the same question: how could you do that? My answer was the same. And yesterday, he called me several times on the phone to ask more questions to finally set up his own Zoom classes. His final question was how to avoid resonant sounds during Zoom class, and I replied you have better mute the speakers, instead ask students whether the sound is OK.

barbie~~

Just do it.

Offline Oldandcreaky

• Family
« Reply #345 on: June 04, 2020, 04:55:20 pm »
Barbie, to be frank, I think growing old is harder for pretty women like you. Those who are beautiful have more to lose. However, you're more than brains. You are smart and professionally accomplished and those qualities age well.

Offline barbie

« Reply #346 on: June 04, 2020, 09:47:39 pm »
Just finished a remote meeting from Seoul. I saved a lot of money and time.

barbie~~
Just do it.

Offline Lyric

• Family
« Reply #347 on: June 05, 2020, 09:32:13 am »
Just finished a remote meeting from Seoul. I saved a lot of money and time.

Nice setup-- with two monitors and two webcams, it appears.
"Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life." - Steve Jobs

Offline barbie

« Reply #348 on: June 05, 2020, 02:46:05 pm »
Nice setup-- with two monitors and two webcams, it appears.

Yes.

Actually, 6 screens and 4 webcams are available, too complex to handle.

barbie~~
Just do it.

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
  • No act of kindness, however small, is wasted.
« Reply #349 on: June 13, 2020, 08:06:59 am »
I heard that a transparent but effective against viruses face mask is under development.
Look for the related articles on the Internet.

That may make wearing the masks more appealing to some.

Chrissy
Be a good example of good behavior.  Always be kinder than needed.  Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that you speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.  Serve others.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
  • No act of kindness, however small, is wasted.
« Reply #350 on: June 13, 2020, 08:24:46 am »
Be a good example of good behavior.  Always be kinder than needed.  Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that you speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.  Serve others.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

Offline Battle Goddess

• Family
« Reply #351 on: June 15, 2020, 01:26:15 pm »

...Americans, with our strongly ingrained culture of personal liberty, are all too likely to defy the government on general principles. Sniping between the two parties when we're all in this together doesn't help. That people get their news from social media instead of responsible sources may be the worst problem of all.

I personally was disheartened by the President's speech the other day in its several references to the virus being from abroad. Others in his party have been trying to do the same thing. A virus knows no nation.... Casting a virus in terms of The Other is useless. AIDS was not a Gay Plague. Viruses don't discriminate on minority status, but they do discriminate on behaviors.

Jeebus. Can I call it, or can I call it? Three months later, and look how different societies have chosen to handle the Virus. China discovers a hundred cases in Beijing this week and puts the area into lockdown. They plan to have tested a couple hundred thousand folks by tomorrow. In the USA, people get mad at each other over whether one ought to wear a mask.

"It's not really a choice. Because we're not choosing to transition...we're choosing to be happy." -- SarahC

Introductory Post: https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,242617.msg2196235.html

Whiny HRT and Transition Blog: https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,244163.msg2217618.html

Divigel January 20 2019

Offline SadieBlake

« Reply #352 on: June 15, 2020, 04:42:37 pm »
Jeebus. Can I call it, or can I call it? Three months later, and look how different societies have chosen to handle the Virus. China discovers a hundred cases in Beijing this week and puts the area into lockdown. They plan to have tested a couple hundred thousand folks by tomorrow. In the USA, people get mad at each other over whether one ought to wear a mask.

In fairness the difference between China and the US (especially under trump) isn't exactly rocket science.

Locally we were a serious hotspot because of population density and a high rate off international travel (one corporate meeting in my city vectored an initial superevent.

Because we're also a population that quickly comprehended the seriousness, we've flattened the curve to near zero.

You hardly see anyone around here not wearing a mask.

🌈👭 lesbian, troublemaker ;-) 🌈🏳️‍🌈

Offline lulita

« Reply #353 on: June 23, 2020, 08:47:21 pm »
I have a question...
How do we clean our jeans?
They say you cannot go and wash your jeans everytime you use. But I never had any information about how to sanitize my jeans in this coronavirus outbreak.

Can I spray alcohol in it?

Offline Battle Goddess

• Family
« Reply #354 on: June 23, 2020, 09:14:44 pm »
I have a question...
How do we clean our jeans?
They say you cannot go and wash your jeans everytime you use. But I never had any information about how to sanitize my jeans in this coronavirus outbreak.

Can I spray alcohol in it?
You can, but I betcha your washing machine will do a better job penetrating the material than an alcohol spritz. Why not just take your jeans off when you get home, put them in a corner, and leave them there until you want to go out again? Just don't wear them inside until you wash them.

Divigel January 20 2019

Online Maid Marion

« Reply #355 on: June 23, 2020, 09:27:49 pm »
I store my jeans in a cardboard box between outings.  Even though it is summer, the temperature has been mild when I go out at 8AM to buy groceries.  Storing it in a box also prevents the cat from using my clothes as a blanket.

Marion

Offline lulita

« Reply #356 on: June 24, 2020, 11:49:13 pm »
Yeah I was planning to leave inside my wardrobe in a place that I don't use. But using a cardboard box is a good ideia. Thanks for the tips Maid Marion and Battle Goddess.

Offline barbie

« Reply #357 on: June 25, 2020, 06:12:13 pm »
Yeah I was planning to leave inside my wardrobe in a place that I don't use. But using a cardboard box is a good ideia. Thanks for the tips Maid Marion and Battle Goddess.

barbie~~
Just do it.

Offline Battle Goddess

• Family
« Reply #358 on: January 19, 2021, 12:32:04 pm »
Funny old world, ain't it?

This thread was so active during the first wave of the virus when so many people died. 30,000 or more! The country virtually shut down to get hold of this terrible plague. "Flatten the curve," we all chanted at one another!

As Covid deaths in the USA exceed WWII combat deaths and are predicted to surpass Civil War levels by mid-February, it was interesting to scroll through our thoughts back then. Man, were we wrong. I personally never foresaw a simple public health issue being turned into a cultural struggle flashpoint, but then again, I never thought I'd see the country my family has served for centuries be threatened by a Knucklehead Revolution.

None of us deserves criticism from me for what we said back then except for me. I sure dropped a few howlers.

I think the key here is to point out that Italy only recognized the size of the outbreak because the Lombard public health system ignored national recommendations and started testing everyone, not just the very ill. Other provinces actually complained because they thought it made things look bad.

I believe this is what Tony Fauci is talking about when he says things are going to get worse in the USA. The absence of data is hampering a true assessment of the scale of the outbreak, so there's no real way to predict whether or when things will get out of hand. Prudence dictates preparing for the worst and praying for the best.

At least Fauci knew what he was talking about. I don't know whether he's been soft-pedaling his predictions because he figured we couldn't take it, but very early on he predicted as many as 100,000 deaths, and I was shocked that a serious scientist thought it could ever get that bad. Fauci does have a habit of raising the awfulness of his predictions as the situation gets more and more out of control. Maybe back in March he couldn't conceive of the current awfulness.

Meanwhile, Italy ended up pulling a USA. They had an amazingly strict lockdown in March - children weren't even allowed to go outside to play - and they were massively successful in quelling their outbreak. Infections tanked. Italy reopened. They lightened restrictions. People stopped worrying. They took liberties. Rich folks did things they shouldn't have and rubbed it in everyone else's faces. Resentment spiked. Everyone else started doing things they shouldn't. Infections started shooting up again. The authorities tried imposing curfews. There were riots in Naples and Rome with people throwing molotov cocktails at the cops. I couldn't take it anymore and gave up reading the Italian newspapers. If folks were going to be that dumb, I figured I could watch people being just as dumb on American TV.

I'm bracing for the worst and I've feared the worst all along. This will be a demographic changer and world changer. I expect there will be millions less of us in a few weeks.

Goodness, let's hope not! And don't worry, it won't happen, at least not in the USA.

Blew that one.

One American in a thousand is dead of Covid.

Some subpopulations (older folks, people of color) crossed that threshold long ago.

At current projections, it’ll be two Americans in a thousand come sometime in April.

When I think of demographic catastrophes, my head usually goes to things like expected years of life lost and negative effects on live births per woman. A plague that confined itself to killing people late in life who were beyond reproductive age would be grievous, but it wouldn't necessarily have a huge long-term effect on core population growth.

The Spanish Flu killed young people in peak reproductive age, and you can see the chunk it took out of demographic metrics and its long-term effects on population. Ditto the Civil War, which slew a generation of young men. I remember my great-grandmother telling harrowing stories of how hard it was in their corner of the hills for a girl to get married after the war, and the insalubrious workarounds that people resorted to. Don't ask.

But at some point, once so many people die, you gotta call a gravedigger's spade a gravedigger's spade.

Is Covid a demographic catastrophe? Lord, yes. My blinkered, academic, analytic perspective was completely inadequate for the monstrosity this thing has mushroomed into. We in the USA allowed a public health catastrophe to turn into a political catastrophe, and now one in a thousand of us (and counting) is dead.

I was an idiot.

I'll preface this by saying I'm writing from the perspective of a U.S. citizen living in the USA….

Americans, with our strongly ingrained culture of personal liberty, are all too likely to defy the government on general principles. Sniping between the two parties when we're all in this together doesn't help. That people get their news from social media instead of responsible sources may be the worst problem of all.

I personally was disheartened by the President's speech the other day in its several references to the virus being from abroad. Others in his party have been trying to do the same thing. A virus knows no nation. Xenophobia is always dumb…. For us it's like locking the barn door after the horse trampled you on its way out. Casting a virus in terms of The Other is useless. AIDS was not a Gay Plague. Viruses don't discriminate on minority status, but they do discriminate on behaviors.

Yeah.

Sadly, both the worst part and the most ignorant part of this prediction came true.

Appears to me that Americans defied half the government. Some of us defied one half, and the rest of us defied the other half. So did the government itself.

Worse, this virus viciously discriminated on minority status. Where I live, Black Americans are about one-third of the population but half of Covid infections and two-thirds of Covid deaths. Similar rates for Hispanic Americans. Go ahead and point to variables such as the stress associated with generally lower income, worse access to worse health care, bad city services and higher local crime rates, whatever. No doubt they play a part, major or minor. There’ll be studies for years and years trying to tease all that stuff out. Not sure anyone is collecting data for Transgender Americans, but you know it can’t be good.

The simple fact, though, is that a lot of Americans are systematically <removed>, and that’s unamerican.

"I was an idiot" doesn’t even begin to cover it.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 03:25:37 pm by Battle Goddess »

Divigel January 20 2019

Offline RandyL

• On the way
« Reply #359 on: January 20, 2021, 03:34:13 pm »
BG, that's an interesting retrospective. I don't think you were as wrong as you give yourself credit for; none of us had all that much information back then (which has never impeded me  :D )

You're right about minorities and discriminated-against populations. It's not their behaviors in general, it's their circumstances. Not least of which being that many of these folks work in service industries where their physical presence is required to do their jobs. Our lengthy and shameful history of systemic racism, misogynism (word?) and other -isms are a large part of why certain people are at greater risk, aside from their chronological age. To quote an author I heard on the radio yesterday, "it's hard to pull yourself up by the bootstraps when you don't have any boots."
Casting about for my best path forward...

My personal blog thread: Randy the lost traveler, finding the right road at last

My HRT thread: Randy's HRT Journal

Tags: