Author Topic: Coronavirus?  (Read 20826 times)

Offline davina61

• The ramblings of an old dear
Re: Coronavirus?
« Reply #500 on: August 19, 2021, 02:39:33 am »
Open mic night in the pub, apart from 2 folk coming from restaurant to use the rest room nobody was wearing a mask and it was crowded like pre covid
a long time coming (out) HRT 12 2017

Jill of all trades mistress of non
Know a bit about everything but not enough to be clever.
I get pushed out of shape and its hard to steer when I get rubber in all 4 gears (Beach Boys ,little deuce coupe)

Offline ChrissyRyan

• Have a gentle manner ❤️
  • Family
  • No act of kindness, however small, is wasted.
« Reply #501 on: August 19, 2021, 05:51:10 am »
Be safe and careful.  Do not take COVID-19 lightly.

Chrissy
Be a good example of good behavior.  Always be kinder than needed.  Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that you speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.  Serve others.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

Offline Battle Goddess

« Reply #502 on: September 06, 2021, 12:41:34 pm »
Here's a recent article from the WaPo by a professor at UCSF. Says it's free to the public; no telling how long it'll be up.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/delta-variant-vaccines-work/2021/07/08/de2c480c-df7e-11eb-ae31-6b7c5c34f0d6_story.html

One key message I take is to expect the Virus to remain among us indefinitely. Fortunately, we as a species won't be as immunologically naïve as we were two years ago. This is much what happened with the 1918 pandemic flu. Its descendants are still with us, but humans have been exposed to them for over a century now and tend not to die as much.

(Sort of in the same vein, I watched an episode about polio on that PBS documentary series American Experience the other week. It said that polio became such an awful disease in the early part of the twentieth century because of the hygiene movement two generations prior. When people started rigorously disinfecting their houses, their children had maternal poliovirus antibodies but grew up without much being exposed to poliovirus in the home, so their own immune systems never learned to produce poliovirus antibodies themselves. These children grew up, and when they started having babies, the mothers couldn't pass polio antibodies to their own babies. Ended up with a couple of generations of kids without any natural immunity to poliovirus until Salk and Sabin came along. I always learn something from that show!)

There are some fine points in the article about testing that I'm not sure I understand because I thought I'd heard other public health officials make contrary statements, but I wouldn't be surprised if I'm misunderstanding things. They're the experts; I'm just a humble data gal.

Article also has a nuance about PCR machines themselves I'd never seen. Has anyone else?

"It's not really a choice. Because we're not choosing to transition...we're choosing to be happy." -- SarahC

"Freedom comes at a high price. But I have paid it, and I am free." -- M. Ali

"Have a gentle manner ❤️" -- Chrissy Ryan
"Working on it" -- Battle Goddess

Introductory Post: https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,242617.msg2196235.html

Whiny HRT and Transition Blog: https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,244163.msg2217618.html

Spironolactone January 10 2019
Divigel January 20 2019
Estradiol Valerate March 14 2019

Offline barbie

• I change my avatar every week
« Reply #503 on: September 07, 2021, 10:50:11 am »
Today, about 1.3 million people got a shot in S. Korea, the greatest daily number so far. I was one of them, and it was the second of Moderna.

https://ourworldindata.org/explorers/coronavirus-data-explorer?zoomToSelection=true&facet=none&pickerSort=desc&pickerMetric=population&Metric=People+vaccinated&Interval=Cumulative&Relative+to+Population=true&Align+outbreaks=false&country=JPN~KOR~AUS~NZL~TWN~USA~BRA~SGP~DEU~GBR

The vaccination started very slowly here because of the lack of vaccine supply, but it is now catching up. Still, the maximum number of guests per table allowed in restaurants and bars is 2 in the evening. With the people fully vaccinated, the allowed maximum number is 4.

S. Korea has never imposed lockdown, but now I think a nationwide total lockdown would be better and more efficient because the government has imposed restrictions selectively based on ad hoc criteria, and the most damaged people have been the self-employed, especially the owners of restaurants and bars. It was not equal or fair at all. Sometimes, totalitarianism works better.

I am technically a government employee, and I have got virtually no economic impact from the covid-19. I am a little bit sorry for the self-employed people here.

The government says we may be able to start living with the covid-19 in November when the ratio of fully-vaccinated people reaches 70%.

barbie~~
Just do it.

Offline Haley Conner

« Reply #504 on: September 07, 2021, 11:20:08 am »
Yesterday, millions of Americans lost unemployment aid, and we're still seeing surges in the infection rates.  It's not a good recipe.  Within the last week, 3 out of 7 of my pandemic social group caught the delta variant.  It's fairly depressing.  Good to see you're still around.  I was beginning to wonder.

Online Angelaney

• Friend
« Reply #505 on: September 14, 2021, 03:05:26 am »
The vaccination started very slowly here because of the lack of vaccine supply, but it is now catching up.

Unfortunately many of the vaccine supply issues came about because of the EU behaving like children in the wake of Brexit, they were blocking exports of the AZ vaccine from Europe to places like Australia.

There had been a deal to supply x number of vaccines to Europe but because the media had wiped out almost half of AstraZenecas share price with scaremongering and nobody in Europe wanted the vaccine, AZ started shipping to other countries instead, and so the EU blocked those exports and stock piled millions of vaccines with no intention of using them.

The overall effect is what's important and nearly 1/3 of the total vaccine supply was sitting in storage when it should have been making it's way to countries that needed it.

As a former EU citizen i'm thoroughly ashamed of what has happened, and I can't imagine how many people have lost loved ones as a result of all this.

Offline Battle Goddess

« Reply #506 on: September 15, 2021, 03:04:59 pm »
Here's a new article from the WaPo. It doesn't say it's being made free for everyone, so no promises it will open.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/interactive/2021/1-in-500-covid-deaths/?itid=hp-top-table-main

The upshot if it doesn't open: one American in 500 is now dead of Covid. That seems like a whole lot of people to me, and it only took us a year and a half. I'm very sad.

"At a certain point, it was no longer a matter of whether the United States would reach the gruesome milestone of 1 in 500 people dying of Covid-19, but a matter of when. A year? Maybe 15 months? The answer: 19 months.

Given the mortality rate from Covid and our nation’s population size, “we’re kind of where we predicted we would be with completely uncontrolled spread of infection,” said Jeffrey D. Klausner, clinical professor of medicine, population and public health sciences at the University of Southern California’s Keck School of Medicine."

In my town of roughly 50,000 people, 1 person in 500 equates to roughly 100 people. Put it that way and it doesn't sound like a lot, does it? Surely we can spare that many and still get by. Probably just a bunch of old folks. We can handle that, right? Town would still function. Right? Right?

Uh-huh.

But what if you looked at Covid as a lottery, and everyone in town was forced to buy a ticket? No, even better - what if you didn't necessarily have to buy a ticket? What if having to buy a ticket was the first round of the mandatory lottery, and there were ways of lowering your odds of having to buy one? Then the second round would be for ticketholders to see who actually has to die. 100 spins, 100 tickets, 100 lives, 100 deaths. One person in five hundred.

And don't forget the roving street gangs who come to your door and thrust a ticket into your hands no matter what. They say they have a right to. It's their bodies. No give-backs!

I'd move out of town, is what I'd do. Only a darn fool idjit town holds a lottery like that, and that one has a h*ll of a gang problem, to boot.

But no, I won't. Stupidtown my country may be, but I gotta have hope. The USA swings from crisis to crisis, moral panic to moral panic, obnoxious fad to obnoxious fad, and somehow it staggers forward and remains (mostly) upright. I'm here until the bitter end.

After that? Glad I speak Italian.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2021, 11:54:28 am by Battle Goddess »
"It's not really a choice. Because we're not choosing to transition...we're choosing to be happy." -- SarahC

Introductory Post: https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,242617.msg2196235.html

Whiny HRT and Transition Blog: https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,244163.msg2217618.html

Divigel January 20 2019

Offline Rachel Montgomery

• Family
« Reply #507 on: September 15, 2021, 11:06:22 pm »
1 in 500 is bad, but it is nothing compared to the dire predictions at the outset.  They were actually giving stats at first that if they had played out would equate to 1 in 180 by the end of last year.  So, bad as it is, we have dealt with it better than was predicted.  The vaccines were available faster than most imagined.  No one knows how many lives the vaccines may have saved, but there is evidence it would be worse without them.

Offline Battle Goddess

« Reply #508 on: September 16, 2021, 01:04:14 pm »
1 in 500 is bad, but it is nothing compared to the dire predictions at the outset.  They were actually giving stats at first that if they had played out would equate to 1 in 180 by the end of last year.  So, bad as it is, we have dealt with it better than was predicted.  The vaccines were available faster than most imagined.  No one knows how many lives the vaccines may have saved, but there is evidence it would be worse without them.

Quite true, Rachel. I remember the direst predictions from Hopkins back in March 2020 running upwards of a couple million dead. Those were the numbers that convinced the administration back then to issue the national lockdown.

Gee whiz, that was a weird time, wasn't it? I live near a major airport, and it was so strange not to see airliners all the time. The skies felt like they did back on 9/11. And remember how empty the roads were? I could get anywhere easily, but there was nowhere to go. (Except... the grocery store!  :P )

Of course, two million is a Big Scary Number, and it came from running one model among many, and those were early days with sparse data, so you knew it wasn't as accurate as later models with better data would be. (I saw an interview with Robert Redfield, CDC director at the time, who said that his counterpart in China thought he was seeing mortality as high as ten percent very early on!) So we really didn't know a whole ton yet. I think two million was probably an extreme prediction, but even one million deaths would have been too many. So would half a million.

Thank goodness for science, scientists, and vaccines. For thoughtful medical personnel, too, who have learned how to lower mortality rates for those of us who suffer from Covid.

If anyone thought that vaccines didn't work, we're running a huge experiment right now with a test group of millions of vaccinated folks and a control group of millions of unvaccinated folks. They aren't randomly selected, they aren't matched by cohort or possible independent variables, and it hasn't been enough time to study them longitudinally, but dash it all - when you see that hospitals are overwhelmed with folks who never got a vaccine for whatever reason, and when it comes to a point that Idaho is issuing statewide medical rationing ("'Someone who is otherwise healthy and would recover more rapidly may get treated or have access to a ventilator before someone who is not likely to recover,' the Idaho Department of Health and Welfare said in a statement explaining the system"), I'd say the results of the experiment are savagely, savagely clear.

Like you say, Rachel, it feels so awful to say that only losing as many Americans last Thursday as we lost on 9/11 is a relief, but, well, thank goodness we only lost as many Americans last Thursday as we lost on 9/11.

Divigel January 20 2019

Offline barbie

• I change my avatar every week
« Reply #509 on: September 16, 2021, 03:38:56 pm »
Here the media reports that several self-employed people committed suicide because of economic loss from the covid-19 regulations. Some people blame the government. Actually, the number of deaths from suicide is greater by a factor of 10 than that from the covid-19 here (>20,000 vs. 2,386 since Feb 15, 2020).

Next week is a kind of thanksgiving holiday here, and the government says the share of people with at least one dose of COVID-19 vaccine reaches 70% today, which was the initial goal. But news around the world says that vaccines are not so effective in preventing the spread of the delta variant as shown in Israel and Singapore.

The government plans to relax the regulations once the share of people fully vaccinated reaches 70% in late October or early November.

Pandemic will not end for anyone until it ends for everyone.

barbie~~

Just do it.

Tags: