Author Topic: Chemotherapy, hair loss, and the transwoman  (Read 431 times)

Offline jenpa

Chemotherapy, hair loss, and the transwoman
« on: March 04, 2020, 04:24:35 pm »
There is a chance I will have to undergo chemotherapy. I worry my hair will fall out. My mother had chemo as well, but her hair loss was minimal.

I have been transitioned for many years and have naturally long hair. But if I have to wear a wig, I am worried I will be clocked more often, or accused of being a TV or drag queen (not that there is anything bad about them). I have seen many ciswomen just go out bald after chemo, but they have feminine faces and voices. But I have not undergone facial feminization surgery (FFS), and my voice is not that good.

I am worried. What do I do?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 07:37:00 pm by jenpa »

Offline AllieSF

• Ain't Life Grand!!
Re: Chemotherapy, hair loss, and the transwoman
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2020, 05:08:03 pm »
First, talk with your doctor.  I have not heard of men losing hair from chemo, but then again, I do not know of any men who have. second, I would look for the positive that they caught your illness and have a plan of treatment.  I had prostate cancer back in 2005 and made the decision to remove it from my body.  I was scared and then relieved when they told me post op that my cancer was contained within the margin of the prostate, meaning it had not spread yet.  I have had no recurrence since.

Your health and treatment should come first in your thoughts and just learn to live with the side effects, which can sometimes be severe, just not hair loss.

Women lose hair all the time from chemo treatment.  My daughter in law did for breast cancer, and eventually her hair grew back to its former beauty.  I do wish you all the best for a successful treatment and no hair loss. 

Allie
HRT - February 2017
Full Time - July 2018
Orchi - January 2018
BA - September 25, 2019
FFS - January 10, 2020
GRS - TBDDD (To Be Determined, Decision and Date)

Offline Megan.

• Homepage & Blog
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2020, 05:16:48 pm »
I'm aware that ’cold caps' are available. These chill the hair follicles while any chemo is administered and prevents them from absorbing the drugs. Ask about this, all the best.

Some info here:

https://www.breastcancer.org/tips/hair_skin_nails/cold-caps

X.

Sent from my MI 9 using Tapatalk
"Life is a travelling to the edge of knowledge, then a leap taken." - D. H. Lawrence

Offline jenpa

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2020, 07:33:06 pm »
First, talk with your doctor.  I have not heard of men losing hair from chemo, but then again, I do not know of any men who have. second, I would look for the positive that they caught your illness and have a plan of treatment.  I had prostate cancer back in 2005 and made the decision to remove it from my body.  I was scared and then relieved when they told me post op that my cancer was contained within the margin of the prostate, meaning it had not spread yet.  I have had no recurrence since.

Your health and treatment should come first in your thoughts and just learn to live with the side effects, which can sometimes be severe, just not hair loss.

Women lose hair all the time from chemo treatment.  My daughter in law did for breast cancer, and eventually her hair grew back to its former beauty.  I do wish you all the best for a successful treatment and no hair loss. 

Allie

Thanks so much AllieSF for your help!

I am so sorry for your prostate cancer. I hope you are recovered. That would be a nightmare for me. I am planning to have an orchiectomy soon (covered by insurance I think!), and this is supposed to lessen the chance of that and testicular cancer occurring. A prostatectomy would be even better, but they say that would cause major incontinence issues.  :(

I will talk to my doctors and try to look at the bright side.

I do think men lose their hair too in chemo (although I am a woman). From what I have read, hair is hair, no matter the gender, despite what shaving and shampoo/conditioner companies want us to think, haha!

Offline jenpa

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2020, 07:35:56 pm »
Thanks so much AllieSF for your help!

I am so sorry for your prostate cancer. I hope you are recovered. That would be a nightmare for me. I am planning to have an orchiectomy soon (covered by insurance I think!), and this is supposed to lessen the chance of that and testicular cancer occurring. A prostatectomy would be even better, but they say that would cause major incontinence issues.  :(

I will talk to my doctors and try to look at the bright side.

I do think men lose their hair too in chemo (although I am a woman). From what I have read, hair is hair, no matter the gender, despite what shaving and shampoo/conditioner companies want us to think, haha!

Thanks Megan...I had never heard of them, but that sounds like a great idea!

Offline Rakel

• Formerly known as Dani
  • Rakel@susans.org
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2020, 08:55:00 pm »
I have been transitioned for many years and have naturally long hair. But if I have to wear a wig, I am worried I will be clocked more often, or accused of being a TV or drag queen (not that there is anything bad about them). I have seen many ciswomen just go out bald after chemo, but they have feminine faces and voices. But I have not undergone facial feminization surgery (FFS), and my voice is not that good.

I am worried. What do I do?

As the others have said, your health comes first. Even if you lose your hair, you can dress in an androgynous style until your hair grows back.

When I first transitioned, I did not pass at all, so I dressed in an androgynous manner until after FFS and my hair grew out. This is not ideal, but it is do able. Take care.  :-*

Retired Pharmacist with over 40 years experience in Hospital and Retail Pharmacies.
I still keep my professional licence active and in good standing.

Offline herekitten

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2020, 09:38:29 pm »
I can only imagine what you must be going through. My best friend (genetic girl) has gone through three different cancers. Each time, she dealt with chemo and the hair loss. Each time, the hair came back and, to me, it looked fuller and prettier each time.  She did nothing special to regrow it, she just used her donated wig or wore pretty scarves to cover up her head because she does not have a 'pretty' perfectly round head. There are plenty of sites with head apparel just for this purpose. As others have said, your health comes first. Please always put that first.

I wish you all the best and the speediest recovery ever if you have to do it.  Hugs.
It is the lives we encounter that make life worth living. - Guy De Maupassant