Author Topic: earrings?  (Read 1105 times)

Offline madeleine

earrings?
« on: March 12, 2020, 08:31:34 pm »
I want to make a (small) physical change towards femininity and I'm thinking of earings.  I'm not out to the world, so I am a man at work and elsewhere.  When I was younger there was supposedly a code about which ear you wore the earring in - left or right - and that indicated whether you were gay or straight!  But seriously, it seems to me that two earrings are generally seen as feminine and one might be masculine.  Like to hear what others think!

Also, if I get my ears pierced, can I put earrings on just at night?  or just do one during the day?  How long does it take for the piercing to close up?

Offline Northern Star Girl

• Previously Alaskan Danielle
  • northernstargirl@susans.org
Re: earrings?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2020, 09:19:04 pm »
@madeleine 
Dear Madeleine:
!!!!!... TWO EARRINGS.   
When you first get studs put in they need to stay in for a month or even more to keep the holes open.

There are very manly males that I am aware of have both ears pierced and wear earrings in both ears.

Obviously the style of the earring can be seen as more feminine and/or more masculine...  so if you want to keep presenting as a male at work, chose the style carefully, perhaps just a stud at first.

Danielle
***SEE MY LINKS BELOW
The Ramblings of a Northern*Star Girl
A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles
I am the HUNTED PREY: Danielle’s Chronicles
Things change re: ALASKAN DANIELLE
Positive Mindset... put away negativity

Started HRT:   March 2015
Went Full-Time    December 2016
Quit my male-mode job and relocated to a very small town in Alaska in January 2017
I'm a blonde, blue eyed woman, Age 40

Offline madeleine

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2020, 09:23:43 pm »
A month, huh?  Well...I will be working from home for a while...maybe this is a good time.

Offline madeleine

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2020, 09:41:49 pm »
And you are right, Danielle - two earrings.

Offline AnneK

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2020, 09:51:55 pm »
I had both ears done back in '92, when it was unusual for guys to have both done.  You need to keep something in the holes for a few weeks, to keep them from closing up.  What I did was make some invisible studs with the plastic clothing tag threads.  I cut short pieces and melted the ends to form small balls.  I learned that trick from the woman who pierced my ears.

Well...I will be working from home for a while...maybe this is a good time.

I understand self isolation is popular these days.   ;)
I'm a 66 year old male who has been thinking about SRS for many years.  I also was a  full cross dresser for a few years.  I wear a bra, pantyhose and nail polish daily because it just feels right.

Started HRT April 17, 2019.

Offline Maddie

• Family
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2020, 10:44:25 pm »
Love having pierced ears!  I just have one each lobe.

No idea what matters anymore, one, two, straight, not straight... My take is that it doesn't matter, except maybe for work or accommodating a relationship.
Does your employer have a code for this based on gender?
I remember when the left ear was ok for hetero guys in my area of US

If you take them in and out in the first months, you risk closing up and infection.

I was very happy with two small but heavy surgical steel loops that I left in for the first 3 years straight.. no problems.

Offline Jenny_Oh

• Friend
  • One is not born, but rather becomes, a woman - SdB
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2020, 11:27:49 pm »
When I was younger there was supposedly a code about which ear you wore the earring in - left or right - and that indicated whether you were gay or straight!

Back in graduate school I had 5 piercings in one ear and 1 in the other, nobody cared then, nobody cares now. Literally, nobody (well, except maybe my wife but that's another matter  :laugh: :laugh:). So wear what you want (unless you have an employer with some stupid dress code). Piercing in the lobes take a month to six weeks to heal while piercings in any cartilage will take 4 to 6 months to heal. You aren't going to want to take them in and out while they're healing.

Offline Susan R

• Transgender Female
  • The Real Me!
    • Susan R's Introduction
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2020, 11:46:34 pm »
I’m a very late bloomer. I waited 57 years to get mine. Just had both ears pierced a month ago. I’m absolutely thrilled with them. I was concerned about them because I’m a stomach sleeper and thought I’d feel them pressed against my head. Nope, can’t feel them at all.

The piercers told me no changing these initial studs out for six weeks and I should be wearing some kind of earring in each lobe at all times for at least six months.  No problem there.  Also you need to clean your lobes regularly.  I think you’ll really enjoy getting them pierced. It’s so subtle that I doubt most will even mention it.

Here’s a pic taken shortly after the piercing.

Susan R🌷
Sept. 25, 2018:       Began HRT
May 19, 2019:         Out to All/Full time
June 12, 2019:        Name/Gender Marker on all ID's/Legal Docs completed
July 2, 2020:           GRS & BA Consult - Dr. Stiller
Dec 2020-Jan 2021: GRS Surgery #1 & BA
Mar 2021-Apr 2021: GRS Surgery #2

Offline madeleine

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2020, 07:52:12 am »
@AnneK yes, I'm going to take advantage of this trend in a small way ;)

@Maddie That was the thing, the left ear!  Glad I don't think about that anymore.  My employer does not care luckily.

@Jenny_Oh My wife and I are splitting up and I don't think she would care much anyway.  I'm just getting one for each ear though.  You are way ahead of me!

@Susan R Hello from another late bloomer, I'm 56.  I think someone will notice at work, but oh well.

Most of my ideas about earrings were wrong!  Thanks to all for steering me straight (no pun intended).  I'm going to do it!  I'll post a pic here when I get it done.

Offline Meghan

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2020, 09:52:14 am »
I got both ears pierced twice and they keep falling off and close-ups after one week. This year I got both ears pierced and successful learn how to change earrings and wear them full time. I feel naked without

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

Meghan Pham: MtF Transgender, Transsexual, Transwoman, social justice, Caregivers, Certified Nurse Assistant

Offline Jessicajade

• Neighbor
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2020, 01:27:06 pm »
I had both of my ears pierced in summer 2019. A few of my coworkers noticed pretty quickly. But no one really cared. Most were just kinda surprised I did it because I never really talked about it.

I had no reservations about doing it because a bunch of men at my job have pierced ears. (One of my managers, and coincidentially the first person to notice/say anything, has his ears pierced. So anyone with something to say best watch their mouth because whatever they could say might not be well received by a manager.)

One of the women I worked with remarked one day how she'd never been at a job where all the guys wore so much jewelry. (Pretty much every guy at work has some kind of accessory on. Whether it's a chain, ring or earrings.)

Though when I had mine done they said that the piercing location needed to be washed several times a day. The piercing was to be left in at all times for the first month. After that I could change the piercing to any other stud type, but I still had to have something in there. It wasn't until the 6th month afterwards where I could go with any style or leave it open for any amount of time. Though when you go to get yours done, the person doing the piercing will tell you all the requirements/timeline.

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
  • No act of kindness, however small, is wasted.
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2020, 01:47:12 pm »
The quintessential feminine adornment is the earring.
Guys seem to get into the wearing of them too.

They sure can make for a beautiful look for your face.
They complete the look.

So nice.

Hugs,

Chrissy

@Northern Star Girl @Roll @CynthiaAnn

Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that your speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

Offline Meghan

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2020, 02:14:55 pm »
I had both of my ears pierced in summer 2019. A few of my coworkers noticed pretty quickly. But no one really cared. Most were just kinda surprised I did it because I never really talked about it.

I had no reservations about doing it because a bunch of men at my job have pierced ears. (One of my managers, and coincidentially the first person to notice/say anything, has his ears pierced. So anyone with something to say best watch their mouth because whatever they could say might not be well received by a manager.)

One of the women I worked with remarked one day how she'd never been at a job where all the guys wore so much jewelry. (Pretty much every guy at work has some kind of accessory on. Whether it's a chain, ring or earrings.)

Though when I had mine done they said that the piercing location needed to be washed several times a day. The piercing was to be left in at all times for the first month. After that I could change the piercing to any other stud type, but I still had to have something in there. It wasn't until the 6th month afterwards where I could go with any style or leave it open for any amount of time. Though when you go to get yours done, the person doing the piercing will tell you all the requirements/timeline.
I thought my piercing ear lobe was close but I now had to many holes.  I now doing self peirce at home

Meghan Pham: MtF Transgender, Transsexual, Transwoman, social justice, Caregivers, Certified Nurse Assistant

Offline madeleine

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2020, 07:03:48 pm »
I did it!

Offline Northern Star Girl

• Previously Alaskan Danielle
  • northernstargirl@susans.org
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2020, 09:59:00 pm »
@madeleine
Dear Madeleine:
Congratulations... as others have commented, not many will even notice or even be concerned  that you have studs in your ears!!!    BOTH EARS... right? ???

Now you earring shopping can begin.... exciting selection ear-bobs, hoops, dangles, etc.
Thanks for post and sharing.   
Please continue to keep us updated.

HUGS,
Danielle

I did it!

***SEE MY LINKS BELOW
The Ramblings of a Northern*Star Girl
A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles
I am the HUNTED PREY: Danielle’s Chronicles
Things change re: ALASKAN DANIELLE
Positive Mindset... put away negativity

Started HRT:   March 2015
Went Full-Time    December 2016
Quit my male-mode job and relocated to a very small town in Alaska in January 2017
I'm a blonde, blue eyed woman, Age 40

Offline JennyTG

• Family
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2020, 04:33:25 am »
I love my girly earrings...when I get the chance to wear them out.  The real courage is when the dangles or large hoops get a showing, good luck with that!

~Jenny~

Offline Meghan

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2020, 04:52:38 am »
I love my girly earrings...when I get the chance to wear them out.  The real courage is when the dangles or large hoops get a showing, good luck with that!

~Jenny~
I'm proud to show my earrings and feels naked without earrings when in public

Offline JennyTG

• Family
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2020, 05:11:53 am »
I'm proud to show my earrings and feels naked without earrings when in public

Sure I get that, guess it's a step at a time.

Offline Mills

• dOn'T pAnIc! when in a dress
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2020, 05:30:08 am »
Get BOTH ears pierced, hey go mad and get multiple piercings in both ears, no one will bat an eyelid it's just so normal it's become boring!, obviously you don't want to be wearing super cute long drop or unicorn and fairy shaped ones just yet, but go for it.

Cwch

Mills
I'm Quiet, Shy and permanently confused, shout at me if you want!

Offline madeleine

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2020, 08:22:09 am »
@Dainelle, @Mills yes, both ears!  I found taking a picture of me ear harder than I expected, so you'll have to trust me on the other one!

@JennyTG @Meghan nothing girly yet, but that sounds fun!  That is in the future!

Thanks everyone for your encouragement.  I got them done yesterday, trying not to overthink things, so it was all very quick. But who knows if I will even be able to get my ears pierced  in the next week or two?

Tags: