Community Conversation > Transsexual talk

Just made my first step towards transition

<< < (2/11) > >>

Sophiaprincess2019:
Erika, welcome to SP and congratulations on making this life-changing decision. I know you have thought a long time about this and know there are people here who have walked your shoes. This particular site is the leading authority on gender transition because members here have the latest, current information as it's being lived.

You're going to need a lot of help. Maybe take a little time to evaluate your support system. Please reach out to members here with your questions and concerns.

Best wishes and support as your journey begins. This is a HUGE game changer!

Love and confidence,

Sophia

sarahc:
Yay! Congratulations - the first step is always the hardest!

If you have the opportunity, I would definitely consider going to a gender therapist  in the meantime. Having never been in therapy prior to transition, I vastly underestimated the value of having a therapist through this process. My therapist has been extremely helpful. Just something to consider.

Sarah

ssjErika33:

--- Quote from: sarahc on March 23, 2020, 07:20:12 pm ---Yay! Congratulations - the first step is always the hardest!

If you have the opportunity, I would definitely consider going to a gender therapist  in the meantime. Having never been in therapy prior to transition, I vastly underestimated the value of having a therapist through this process. My therapist has been extremely helpful. Just something to consider.

Sarah

--- End quote ---

I’m currently seeing a therapist who is working with me on this, she gave me the resources and what not, but she is a general therapist, do I need to find a gender therapist as a requirement for the doctor?

Also a question for anyone who can answer. I know it’s a ways away but what can I expect at my first appointment with the doctor?

Thanks in advance

Erika

sarahc:

--- Quote from: ssjErika33 on March 23, 2020, 09:06:50 pm ---I’m currently seeing a therapist who is working with me on this, she gave me the resources and what not, but she is a general therapist, do I need to find a gender therapist as a requirement for the doctor?

Also a question for anyone who can answer. I know it’s a ways away but what can I expect at my first appointment with the doctor?

Thanks in advance

Erika

--- End quote ---

It’s good to hear that you have a therapist already. If you’re happy with your current therapist, and you feel she is providing the resources and help you need, great. A gender therapist will be more familiar with a lot of the stages of transition, but the most important thing is to have a productive relationship with your therapist.

Your doctor will likely do a thorough medical review with you and will also take you through the informed consent process. Since you’re working with a doctor who has experience working with trans patients, the doctor will likely prescribe you hormones either immediately or a few days afterwards once your labs come back. In most cases, the doctor will want to review the labs prior to starting you on hormones to ensure that the labs reveal no underlying health issues.

Sarah

Battle Goddess:
Rock on, Erika! The first step is the most honest.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version