Author Topic: How are you dealing with COVID-19?  (Read 718 times)

Offline milena

How are you dealing with COVID-19?
« on: April 02, 2020, 10:54:18 pm »
I don't know if this is the right thread, but i wonder how other people are dealing with this? I am a designated essential service and have no break, and am really busy (too bad). I find people don't care what i am, as long as i provide what i am supposed to provide. I wonder how others are dealing with this...are you isolated? do you have support?

Offline Julie H

• Family
  • Formerly known as White Rabbit
Re: How are you dealing with COVID-19?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2020, 11:15:03 pm »
I stay as isolated as I realistically can. The last thing I want to do is be responsible for someone else's death. My hat off to you for being there in these frightening times.
Julie

Offline Tess100

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2020, 11:20:12 pm »
I'm not a really social person so it doesn't feel tremendously different from a social standpoint.  I'm now working from home which I prefer.  I also have lots of hobbies and projects so I have been focusing on getting stuff done.  It is really unnerving to see the world unraveling.

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
  • No act of kindness, however small, is wasted.
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2020, 11:35:26 am »
If you have old short sleeved T-shirts, you can take the whole sleeve and in the same piece of material keep a few inches of material from your t-shirt’s shoulder, chest, and armpit area, to make a face covering.  No sewing required, just the scissors and a T-shirt. Each t-shirt makes two face coverings.  Place the T-shirt on a table flat, place your scissors a few inches below the sleeve, cut an arc from the edge below your armpit to the shoulder.  This single piece will also contain the whole sleeve.

You pull it down over your head and your nose holds it up.  Easy to clean, simply put into the clothes washer.

You might try leaving more of the chest/shoulder material on the piece your cut out, try it on, then cut away material if it is too much or too big.

Here are more DIY mask making ideas:  https://denver.cbslocal.com/2020/04/03/diy-masks-dos-donts/

Here is a video on making masks without sewing:  https://www.msn.com/en-us/video/watch/cant-sew-you-can-still-make-your-own-face-mask-heres-how/vi-BB12bFxj

Chrissy

@Devlyn @Jessica @Northern Star Girl @Pammie @Roll @CynthiaAnn
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 09:12:39 am by ChrissyRyan »
Be a good example of good behavior.  Always be kinder than needed.  Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that your speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.  Serve others.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

Offline Rakel

• Formerly known as Dani
  • Rakel@susans.org
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2020, 09:02:17 pm »
I wash my hands many times a day and I practice good hygiene. I keep my distance from everybody.

Other than this, everything else is pretty much the same with one exception. I have a head band that is wide over the top of the head. If I pull it down over my mouth and spread it out some, it will make a fashionable mouth cover if mandated.  As for effectiveness, I really have no faith in mouth covers. I will continue to wash my hands and keep the areas around me clean and disinfected as best I can.

Retired Pharmacist with over 40 years experience in Hospital and Retail Pharmacies.
I still keep my professional licence active and in good standing.

Offline Julielynn

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2020, 01:47:08 am »
I was always an introvert anyway so not much changed aside from it's harder to get some things done.  Banking has become a mess.   Sure is making that awkward transition phase easier since I don't talk to people at all now unless it's on the phone.

Offline davina61

• The ramblings of an old dear
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2020, 03:07:01 am »
2 weeks off work as getting over persistent chest infection , keeping myself busy by working on my classic VW panel van . back to work on Monday as cant survive on sick pay!! Worried about social spacing at work though , customer toilet is bigger than shared office I have to collect keys   and paperwork from!!!!
a long time coming (out) HRT 12 2017

Jill of all trades mistress of non
Know a bit about everything but not enough to be clever

Offline AnneK

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2020, 05:46:02 am »
Other than walking my dog and going for groceries, I haven't been out much.
I'm a 67 year old AMAB who has been thinking about SRS for many years.  I also was a  full cross dresser for a few years.  I wear a bra, pantyhose and nail polish daily because it just feels right.

Started HRT April 17, 2019.

Offline AnneK

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2020, 05:48:40 am »
If you have old short sleeved T-shirts, you can take the whole sleeve and in the same piece of material keep a few inches of material from your t-shirt’s shoulder, chest, and armpit area, to make a face covering.  No sewing required, just the scissors and a T-shirt. Each t-shirt makes two face coverings.  Place the T-shirt on a table flat, place your scissors a few inches below the sleeve, cut an arc from the edge below your armpit to the shoulder.  This single piece will also contain the whole sleeve.

You pull it down over your head and your nose holds it up.  Easy to clean, simply put into the clothes washer.

You might try leaving more of the chest/shoulder material on the piece your cut out, try it on, then cut away material if it is too much or too big.

Here are more DIY mask making ideas:  https://denver.cbslocal.com/2020/04/03/diy-masks-dos-donts/

Chrissy

@Devlyn @Jessica @Northern Star Girl @Pammie @Roll @CynthiaAnn

Those home made masks may help prevent you from spreading, but are pretty much useless for keeping you from getting infected.

On the other hand, I just happened to have a N95 mask in my car, though I haven't used it.
I'm a 67 year old AMAB who has been thinking about SRS for many years.  I also was a  full cross dresser for a few years.  I wear a bra, pantyhose and nail polish daily because it just feels right.

Online Maid Marion

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2020, 06:29:19 am »
I kept mine in the desk at work before I took it home along with the other stuff I'd need to work at home.
Better computing resources at home than at work. 

At home I have a face shield and a P100 respirator that I use for gardening. I switched to a face shield as safety glasses would fog up when used with the respirator.

I went out once for groceries a week ago.  I may just stay home for a long time, as I don't really need to go out.

Aside from age, the biggest risk factor appears to be morbid obesity.  Which makes sense to me, as in order to move your lungs a fat person has more stuff to move.  Which means they tire quicker and soon need a ventilator.

Marion

Offline Oldandcreaky

• Family
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2020, 09:03:02 am »
Maid Marion, I'm a fellow gardener. Why do you wear a mask to garden? Is it because you're a city girl and people are passing? I have acres of woods buffering my gardens and me, so I don't wear a mask.

I see that you're Asian. As an Asian gardener, are you familiar with Asian fauna? I'm planting a weeping Katsura tree in the next few weeks. I'm just waiting for the soil to warm a little more. If you're not familiar with the Katsura, it smells like cotton candy when it goes gold in the fall and sends that scent through a garden. That's a magical tree.

It will go next to a Ginkgo, another magical tree that's older than the oldest dinosaurs and that loses all its fan-shaped leaves in a few hours, in a golden shower.

I have a Zelkova on the way, another Asian beauty I'm planting for fall color.

Outside my office window, I can see a couple of my Hinoki Cypresses.

In my gardens and along the periphery of my forest, I have about 90 Japanese maples. If I had to pick a most beloved plant, it would be them. Some of them shine in the spring, emerging fire engine red or pink or orange. Some are variegated. They all perform in the fall. I even found a species that's cherry red all through the spring, summer, and fall. It's called a Mallet and if you have room for one small tree, plant this one and you'll thank me forever! Warning: It's not easy to find. You'll likely have to buy it online.

Of course, I like native trees too and have planted scores of them. My gardens are Japanese-leaning, but my woods is a German forest, not in species, but in being so light-dappled and manicured. I dropped all the lesser trees and those that remain are straight as flag-poles and with healthy crowns. The Pileated woodpeckers come, looking for bugs, but they can't find any in my trees. Don't worry about the woodpeckers: I do have an adjacent lot with plenty of dead trees.

Online Maid Marion

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2020, 10:01:35 am »
I have plants that need to be sprayed with fungicide.  I've switched to less dangerous fungicides over the years, but I keep using the respirator just to be on the safe side.

One of the friends who helped me move saw a Pileated woodpecker across the street, but I've never actually seen one myself.  I do see lots of woodpeckers.

I prefer to grow small, manageable plants.  I have a weeping willow that I intend to prune regularly, so it doesn't get above 20 feet.  I have a really sharp 21 ft Japanese pruning saw.  The weeping cherry I have is about six feet tall and easily pruned.

Marion

Offline Oldandcreaky

• Family
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2020, 10:24:22 am »
Weeping willows are a lot of work. Beautiful trees. The English sometimes trim them, so all the weeping branches are the same X feet off the ground. They look like Beatle mops!

21 feet?!? I also have a Japanese pole saw, but it's 16', I think, and it's a load for me. You must be strong!

You can't miss a Pileated woodpecker. Big bird with a red head!

I'm planting six flowering cherries this spring, as well as redbud, dogwood, and crab apple. I'm also planting a few more sweet and sour cherry trees to extend my little orchard.

Online Maid Marion

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2020, 10:32:37 am »
21 feet?!? I also have a Japanese pole saw, but it's 16', I think, and it's a load for me. You must be strong!

Yeah, that is one of the big reasons I'm not on HRT.  My pecs look exactly like A cup boobs.  And I do get enough stuff squatting that my bottom matches my top for an hourglass figure.  ;D
I can cut a 4inch diameter maple limb with it.  And reduce it to logs with a bow saw. ;D

Marion

Offline Oldandcreaky

• Family
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2020, 11:46:31 am »
You're not afraid of labor and I admire that! My forest trees, the white pines and various spruces, had hundreds of dead branches I trimmed. It was such a hard job because even after they're cut, I had to haul them away, trailer load after trailer load after trailer load. But now my forest looks like a park. My biggest trees are nine feet in circumference and nearly all of them are 60 to 80 feet high.

Offline Sophiaprincess2019

• www.tickerfactory.com
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2020, 12:18:53 pm »
I wonder how others are dealing with this...are you isolated? do you have support?

I've been using this time to refine my makeup skills and try new eye shadow combinations and contouring methods. I'm more active online also.

I Read a lot about what other people are doing in other countries and US States. I analyze the hardest hit and least hit (my state) areas and contrast what people have and have not been doing to remain safe and healthy. One attitude I'm NOT adopting is " I really don't care about this epidemic stuff, life is normal for me"  I find this extremely selfish to only care about ones self during a time when the entire planet is affected by a virus that has the potential to wipe out millions of innocent people, myself included.

I've remained at home indoors and have only gone to the mailbox and grocery store, that's it. I've been writing in my journal daily to document this historic global event. I want to someday recall what took place and learn from this.

Not too much else going on in my world. Trying to resist the urge to put box hair color on my hair as it grows out at an alarming rate.

Good health to you and your loved ones.

Sophia

1968 Assigned male at birth with feminine mannerisms
1978 Dolls and dresses
1988 Experimental stage, limited makeup and clothes
1998 Denial continues, unsuccessfully tried living as a man
12-8-2018 Knew I was a woman, time for a change....
2-22-2019 Started HRT
8-9-2019 Legal Name Change
8-14-2019 New Drivers License issued with correct gender
9-5-2019 Social Security card updated
10-12-2019 Birth certificate updated
2-22-2020 One year HRT

Offline Paul Muad-Dib

• Family
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2020, 09:14:14 pm »
At the moment it's not affected my life much. But as time goes on I am sure the work will dry up and then problems will come. Since there's no knowing how long the lockdown will go on, I don't know what the food and rent situation will be a few months from now. But I expect the recession that will come along with this will probably put me out of business. I have been scouting for new jobs in the area but no interviews can take place as long as the lockdown is in effect. It's kind of a stasis at the moment.

In the meantime I took a couple of weeks off. I still have an Open University course to finish.

Offline AnneK

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2020, 09:54:59 pm »
I'm getting tired of staying home all the time! :(

Offline Erika_

• Friend
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2020, 10:46:05 am »
I'm not dealing with it very well, it's causing me to constantly re-live every mistake I've ever made and I haven't slept properly in months.

Offline Oldandcreaky

• Family
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2020, 12:19:40 pm »
My spouse and I took a short drive today to be anywhere but home. We're lucky in that our home is ringed by canopy trees and gardens starting to stir, but just driving along the coast for 20 minutes was a welcome respite from home.

Tags: