Author Topic: Leggings/Stockings/Hosiery  (Read 315 times)

Offline Lisa89125

• Family
Leggings/Stockings/Hosiery
« on: April 08, 2020, 09:42:12 pm »
Hi ladies,

I've got a interesting question for those who wear any of the following, Leggings/Stockings/Hosiery, etc. How do you get them on without putting holes in them with your long and sometimes sharp fingernails?

Is there a specific brand or brands that are more "rugged" and not so much on the very thin and delicate side?

I don't normally wear such articles on the daily bases. I'm lucky in that my legs look good enough that I don't have to wear such things. But, I've really gotten into more formal outfits that pretty much require wearing such delicate items.

I've already ruined two pairs of pantyhose tonight while trying them on.  >:-) Not off to a good start with pantyhose. I am thinking I might better look for knee high stockings or some such?

Lisa
"My inner self knows better than my outer self my true gender"

Offline Rachel_Christina

• Family
Re: Leggings/Stockings/Hosiery
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2020, 02:25:55 am »
I don't find putting theses on the be the problem, it's just throughout the day if you snag on em D:
Putting em on, I just use the pad of my fingers,
I wear tights everyday nearly at work except if I'm wear jeans or its warm enough and the outfit suits it then I go without.

Stockings are cute for when I wanna be cute, but my garter belt is too big really, I need it to be atleast 3-5 inches shorter, putting the we clip things on can be a torture lolol.

I would guess stockings could be good to avoid pulling up and down tights for toilet visits, it's again a time the risks holes D: it's probably the most movement they see, caused by this.

I have alot if good quality ones, that resist snagging, I went through alot of crummy ones before I found these! :3

Offline Jenny_Oh

• Friend
  • One is not born, but rather becomes, a woman - SdB
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2020, 02:51:09 am »
How do you get them on without putting holes in them with your long and sometimes sharp fingernails?

I'm not sure I can be much help here because literally everything has changed since growing my fingernails. From the way I type to the way I change my infant's diaper. Long nails are a major pain that require you to change everything about how you interact with the world around you using your hands. Currently, for me it's one of the major issues associated with transitioning. I cannot stop breaking my thumb and index nails.

The others I have just about got down. At first I thought it was just let them grow and then take care of them once they've got to the length you want, but that doesn't appear to work. I need to file them regularly, whether I'm trying to grow them or not. My nails naturally seem to acquire nicks and scratches, so now I file them at least every week, sometimes more with a buffing block if I feel they're getting rough. Oh, and wear gloves for everything.

Once you have healthy nails, it's just a question of rolling it down all the way to the toe and then sliding it on.

Offline Lisa89125

• Family
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2020, 10:06:21 am »
I guess the quality of the ones I got to try are most likely the issue. They are pretty thin and cheap. Guess I shall go and get a better quality pair to try. I will also make sure to not have any nicks or sharp spots in my nails.

Another issue might be my rough skin on my fingers. Hosiery seems to get caught on these rough spots very easily. Actually feels very weird to me.

Lisa

Online barbie

• I change my avatar every week
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2020, 01:13:28 pm »
How do you get them on without putting holes in them with your long and sometimes sharp fingernails?

For novices, wearing cotton work gloves will help while putting on delicate stockings. Stockings are not like cotton socks and the methods of wearing them are different. You may choose fishnet or denser (>70 denier) stockings or tights. http://estylingerie.com/2019/12/16/hosiery-denier-guide-what-do-different-deniers-look-like/

Fishnets are nice because they already have holes  :D :D

barbie~~

Just do it.

Offline JanePlain

• This is getting complicated.
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2020, 02:22:35 pm »
I'm not sure I can be much help here because literally everything has changed since growing my fingernails. From the way I type to the way I change my infant's diaper. Long nails are a major pain that require you to change everything about how you interact with the world around you using your hands. Currently, for me it's one of the major issues associated with transitioning. I cannot stop breaking my thumb and index nails.

The others I have just about got down. At first I thought it was just let them grow and then take care of them once they've got to the length you want, but that doesn't appear to work. I need to file them regularly, whether I'm trying to grow them or not. My nails naturally seem to acquire nicks and scratches, so now I file them at least every week, sometimes more with a buffing block if I feel they're getting rough. Oh, and wear gloves for everything.

Once you have healthy nails, it's just a question of rolling it down all the way to the toe and then sliding it on.

Just a thought and it might not help that much but french cut nails?  Donning gloves for sure!  Its great for smoothing them up so they don't bunch up anyplace.

Offline RobynD

• Family
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2020, 02:35:19 pm »
Definitely going upmarket to the more expensive brands helps. I think in general they last longer than the cheap ones and that ultimately means they probably cost less, As far as putting them on yeah pads of your fingers or cotton gloves.

Also, don't forget fishnets. They are considerably more durable and I think go great with the right outfit.

Offline Liina

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2020, 10:52:28 pm »
Being a steady wearer and a fan quality brands I have come across several suggestions that do work. Using hosiery gloves which are sold through some specialty stores are helpful, they are white cotton gloves similar to ones you would find for dealing photographic negatives or picture framing. Snug fitting latex or nitrile gloves will also work. I even saw a comment using snug fitting dish washing gloves will help you move nylons around to make them fit nicely.
Some brands are very durable and do not ladder at all. There seems to be a real craze now, in and around London England for small brand hosiery dealers who have now made specific style that are run resistant, do not ladder and quite indestructible. Also donning finer denier hosiery, one is more apt to put a hole in them, like 8,10 and 15 denier. I use 20, 30 denier hose often. Wolford (expensive), Oroblu, Cecilia de Rafael, Platino, Heist Studios, Hedoine, Kunert, Gerbe and Falke are some excellent Brands of fine hosiery. And yes you can get those in North America, London England. Addressing the problem of nails, always make sure you do not have any burrs or snagable nail bits before pulling a pair. Rough skin does snag and tear the nylon strands, use hand cream and even sand of buff rough skin. Also one key thing to always observe is, not hosiery manufactures follow the same sizing tables, in some brands if you are 1/2 size to big then you run the risk  over tensioning when pulling them on, then pop there goes your fingers through the sides.. Always check size guides, also when buying, I always get 2 pair of one shade and size in case of blow out. Liina

Offline Lisa89125

• Family
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2020, 07:11:35 pm »
Thanks Liina.

Your informative post is just what I was looking for. Now I have an idea of what brands to be looking at as well.

Lisa

Offline Liina

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2020, 09:28:39 am »
You are welcomed, if you need more as to where to get them, PM me and I can forward some locations for you. 
Liina

Offline Ellie_Arroway

• ellie_arroway@susans.org
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2020, 08:21:03 am »
In my experience, I never have a problem with thicker ones (e.g. 100 denier, or even 40 denier).

I try to take care not to put my nails through them if they are 15 denier. I have done that twice so far. I don't have long nails, either; I have made the decision that I don't want long nails.

I suspect it's all to do with the thickness of the tights. Thin ones will naturally be more fragile. I doubt the amount you pay for them has anything to do with it, but that's just my opinion.
Started seriously questioning: 24 Aug 2019
Referred to GIC: 23 Sep 2019
Full-time female presentation since: 21 Oct 2019, unbroken since 12 Dec 2019
Official name change by deed poll: 11 Nov 2019
HRT: "kind of" started 15 Jul 2020
Most of my story is in the Just another mtf tale thread!
Twitch streamer MusicEllie

Offline JanePlain

• This is getting complicated.
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2020, 05:39:57 pm »
I really love you girls and these odd conversations I can't get enough of.  Its extra great hearing about the different brands.  Many I've never stumbled on. 

Do a search for "Donning Gloves" they have a non latex side that really helps and the gloves last forever and cost $6 or $7.

Tags: