Author Topic: Dressing Female - What I like and don't like about me  (Read 272 times)

Offline Sometimes Alice

• Visitor
Dressing Female - What I like and don't like about me
« on: September 07, 2020, 06:02:44 am »
Hey all, hope everyone's well!

I've been dressing pretty much full time female for the last couple of weeks - being under a lockdown is helping lots! - and I'm starting to figure out what I like and don't like about my body. It's been quite interesting as I've never really got on with my body in male form - I'd always try and hide it with baggy T-shirts and trousers. For the first time in years I can look at myself in the mirror and actually like my look (well, mostly!).

On the "like" front, I really like the look of my legs in tights/stockings. I was actually told many years ago that I really rock in fishnets! ;D  I'm quite tall (6'0"), and so have quite long and well toned legs - my cycling days really helped this. On that basis, I'm finding that dresses and skirts that come down about knee height work well for me. I also prefer them to be quite flowing at the bottom, my go-to skirt being a skater type skirt.

On the "dislike" side, I'm really struggling with my tummy. Annoyingly I let myself go a little over the last few years, and I developed a bit of a "beer gut", which really restricts me from wearing more figure hugging dresses. I am looking at body shapers to see if they will help a bit, and looking at clothes that don't show it off so much! I've also been looking at whether a slightly larger chest size would help balance things out - I've been experimenting with different sizes before committing to getting some false boobs ordered... considering something along the lines of a B or a C cup.

Was wondering what everyone else's likes/dislikes are, and how they work with them? Of course, any advice is most appreciated!

Alice  :)

Offline CaelaNotKayla

• Everyone needs a little glam sometime!
Re: Dressing Female - What I like and don't like about me
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2020, 03:10:14 pm »
Alice-

I like the look I have in ankle hugging bottoms- leggings and skinny jeans really accentuate my ankles.  Tops I prefer something over the shoulder, with a flounce, or colorful tees- but they have to have enough cover to hide the seam between my falsies and my skin.  Dresses for me have to be below the knee, and I've gotten in the habit of wearing a shaper to bring in my belly a bit- but not too much,  as having the extra padding also softens my overall look.

Now I'm starting to figure out what fall/ winter look I want. Probably Turtlenecks and Leggings.

Caela
My Blog Thread - The Chronicles of Caela

In a sky full of people, only some want to fly. Isn't that crazy? - Seal

Offline barbie

• I change my avatar every week
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2020, 08:35:45 pm »
On the "like" front, I really like the look of my legs in tights/stockings. I was actually told many years ago that I really rock in fishnets! ;D  I'm quite tall (6'0"), and so have quite long and well toned legs - my cycling days really helped this. On that basis, I'm finding that dresses and skirts that come down about knee height work well for me. I also prefer them to be quite flowing at the bottom, my go-to skirt being a skater type skirt.

I think I have somethings in common with you: cycling and height. I also sometimes wear fishnets and skate type skirts.

For the tummy, cycling did not help so much for me, because I always felt sever hunger during cycling. While running outdoors, I do not feel hunger. I would rather run than ride a bike to decrease my girth.

barbie~~

Just do it.

Offline sarahc

• Sarah
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2020, 08:52:24 pm »
Like many trans women, I have the inverted triangle look with a large rib cage. In addition I have a long torso / short legs. I am also 5’11”. Given that situation, the fashion guidelines I follow are in-line with those generally offered for inverted triangles, with some adjustments for the long torso issue:
* Tops: Must be dark. Avoid tops with any puffiness around the shoulders or neck. Avoid strapping tanks...prefer sleeves, preferably elbow length at a minimum. Avoid airy tops and puffy buttondowns, stick to more form-fitting knit tops. Collarless shirts and jackets strongly preferred. Avoid thick layers (thick sweaters or chunky jackets), stick to one layer whenever possible. in tall sizes if available. Tunics don’t work because I need waist definition and most tunics kill waist definition.
* Pants and skirts: compliment the dark colors on top with brighter colors on the bottom. I personally stick to neutrals usually (beige or white). I can also do all black tops and bottoms and look decent. No skinny pants. Bootcut or mildly flared pants look great. Straight pants ok but make sure they’re full length, not cropped at all. Skirts at least midi length. Prefer A-line skirts and dresses. High waist is better both in pants and skirts. Dresses with a fitted waist preferred, but must be in a tall size (because of the long torso). Dresses must have sleeves, preferably fitted.
* Shoes and accessories: make these show pieces. Strappy shoes great. Ankle boots great in fall / winter. I personally prefer chunky heels with 2” or less height. Slouchy bags best...avoid crossbody. I usually wear silver jewelry. Long necklaces look good. Avoid blingy earrings.

I’ll be the first to admit that some of these guidelines are no fun. In particular, I would love to wear printed tops and dresses. But I look terrible in prints. The top half of my body is this big long blob and it just doesn’t look cute. I have to be disciplined and stick to the game plan. Otherwise, it’s just throwing money away buying clothes that don’t work for my body.

Sarah
----
47 years young.
Known that I am trans since...forever.
First therapy session / decided to transition / hair removal: October 2018
HRT: January 2019 (journal https://www.susans.org/forums/index.phpVF/topic,244009.0.html)
VFS: September 2019; three-month report here
Full-time: April 2020
FFS: August 2020
SRS: January 2021

Offline Sometimes Alice

• Visitor
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2020, 05:03:17 pm »
Hi Sarah,

I think I'm a similar shape to you - not well built as such but quite broad shouldered. Your guidelines make a lot of sense actually. Luckily I seem to settle on black clothes which can hide a multitude of sins. Perhaps with the colder weather coming I can hide the shoulders a bit more with a shawl or similar. The fitted waist on dresses is a good call. Just had a 50s A-line type dress with an elasticy bit below the chest arrive in the post this morning, and combined with a tummy shaper and some falsies doesn't look too bad on me. I was going to post a photo up but I think I need a couple more posts yet :)

Alice-

I like the look I have in ankle hugging bottoms- leggings and skinny jeans really accentuate my ankles.  Tops I prefer something over the shoulder, with a flounce, or colorful tees- but they have to have enough cover to hide the seam between my falsies and my skin.  Dresses for me have to be below the knee, and I've gotten in the habit of wearing a shaper to bring in my belly a bit- but not too much,  as having the extra padding also softens my overall look.

Now I'm starting to figure out what fall/ winter look I want. Probably Turtlenecks and Leggings.

Caela

Hmm, that's a good point actually - I need to look at what I have for when the weather gets a bit more chilly. Turtlenecks and leggings sound like a good call... some of the more wooly leggings could still be worn under a skirt I guess. Otherwise I'll be digging the skinny jeans out!

My new shaper helps a bit with my tummy problem (the rest can be helped with my improved diet) but I think I need a little bit of padding around the hips... curve things up a bit :)

I think I have somethings in common with you: cycling and height. I also sometimes wear fishnets and skate type skirts.

For the tummy, cycling did not help so much for me, because I always felt sever hunger during cycling. While running outdoors, I do not feel hunger. I would rather run than ride a bike to decrease my girth.
Another fishnets fan!  ;D The hunger after cycling never used to be a big deal for me when I used to race (cross country mainly), I could have devoured the entire snack wagon afterwards and not gained weight. Bloomin' metabolism!

Tags: