Author Topic: dress sizes for newb mtf - help  (Read 605 times)

Offline madeleine

dress sizes for newb mtf - help
« on: April 10, 2020, 11:15:55 am »
When I sit down in a dress, my thighs are touching the chair seat - no fabric there.  Is the way it's supposed to be?  (the chair is metal and cold  ;) )  I'm almost 5'11'' and have a long torso, in other words my height is in my torso, not in my legs.  Is this because I didn't buy a tall dress size?  I'm wearing a regular XL now.

(edited - had wrong height)

« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 06:06:45 pm by madeleine »

Offline UpSideDown_

• Be your own kind of beautiful.
Re: dress sizes for newb mtf - help
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2020, 11:38:26 am »
Can depend on what type of fabric a dresss is too.
The only sure way to get your right sizing is to try on before purchasing.  A longer dress would indeed help.
Otherwise, trial and error.. Purchase maybe two of the same with different sizes, and then return one if need be.

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
  • No act of kindness, however small, is wasted.
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2020, 12:36:00 pm »
When I sit down in a dress, my thighs are touching the chair seat - no fabric there.  Is the way it's supposed to be?  (the chair is metal and cold  ;) )  I'm almost 5'1'' and have a long torso, in other words my height is in my torso, not in my legs.  Is this because I didn't buy a tall dress size?  I'm wearing a regular XL now.

Lucky you, I wish I was 5ft. 1inch some days, but I have to work with I have have!
Consider buying a tall size or a longer style.  I think you just have to find what you like and try them on.  However, if you are not comfortable going out in person and can afford to buy more at a time, and if online stores you shop at accept returns, you can try the various sizes out that way and return the rest.  Better to do this in person. The problem is that different manufacturers can cut their clothes differently, so sizing differs a lot.

Even a 3% plus or minus difference of the cut of a particular clothing item, such as pants, can make it feel too big or too tight. 

Chrissy

Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that your speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

Offline madeleine

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2020, 06:06:04 pm »
So sorry ChrissyRyan and UpSideDown_ and anyone else who read this.  I'm almost 5'11"" not 5'1''.  ::)

Offline Maid Marion

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2020, 06:09:02 pm »
I thought something was amiss.  I bought an XS dress from Target and it was a little short, but not as short as your situation.  And small LBD I bought has plenty of length for sitting.  I ought to point out that sizes are really just suggestions, though most stores try to be consistent for a given brand name, so you can go back and buy more if you like the fit.

Stores like Kohl's have several different departments for women.  I shop in Junior's and Petites.  But there is another department everything needs to be hemmed for me to wear it.  Of course I have no reason to know what they call it. You may need to find the right section or department in a store to get what you need. 

Some stores only sell to a select group of women.  Lots of women can't fit into anything sold a Victoria's Secret.

Marion

Offline madeleine

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2020, 06:18:00 pm »
haha, whoops, you were right Marion.  I think my answer is that it depends.  I just have very little idea what I'm doing in buying women's clothes.  And trying them on in stores - terrifying! - is out for a while anyway with covid.  My solution is to be online and buy cheap.  That way I learn about sizes and and don't waste too much money. 

But if anyone has insight in regular vs. tall sizes, I'd love to hear it. :)

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
  • No act of kindness, however small, is wasted.
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2020, 07:29:25 pm »
haha, whoops, you were right Marion.  I think my answer is that it depends.  I just have very little idea what I'm doing in buying women's clothes.  And trying them on in stores - terrifying! - is out for a while anyway with covid.  My solution is to be online and buy cheap.  That way I learn about sizes and and don't waste too much money. 

But if anyone has insight in regular vs. tall sizes, I'd love to hear it. :)

Well the one thing you need to keep in mind is that the long or petite sizes are not just just shorter or longer inseams for pants, at least not generally so.  They are proportionally cut, not just shorter or longer “leg lengths.”  The rise may differ from the regular cut for the same type of rise (low rise, at waist, or above waist rise.)  Plus where the fabric is taken in on one garment may give a more flattering and comfortable fit than a other.  Try on different belts too as appropriate.

While it makes sense that a longer dress or skirt will not ride up as much on your thighs when you sit than a shorter garment, you need to see if it looks good on you while standing as well as sitting. Plus you need to decide how much leg you are comfortable showing when you sit.

Sometimes a trans support group has shopping trips or a couple of group members and you can go together to go shopping and they can help you with your questions and even offer comments, if you want them, on if the outfit looks right for you.  Sometimes a feminine outfit looks so good, but not on you!

After that, you can shop on your own a lot easier, and maybe even someday return the favor to a newbie who has been vetted by your group as a nice person but as a sister in need!

Chrissy

Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that your speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

Offline Tess100

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2020, 09:05:05 am »
I've found the tall sizing at lands end and long tall sally has the longer torso you might be seeking.  I'm 6'1" but have the opposite proportions.  I find that some of the tall sizes from both vendors have really long torsos, especially LTS.  Both have good return policies which makes ordering on line easy.

Offline MistressStevie

• Neighbor
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2020, 11:08:57 am »
Dress Sizing varies considerably between brands, country of origin, style and cut of dress.
I have a Patagonia Large that fits my 6'4" 200 pound frame perfectly and goes to my knees.
Sometimes a 16 may fit.  Generally an American 18 will provided the top is not designed to tight.
I like the generous top room on 20s, but will never fill the bottom.    Next one labels L is
not consistent with another.   I try to read the dimensions in any order that I cannot try on.
European and British sizing is totally different so find your measurements and cross reference
with a couple sizing charts.  Then read reviews very carefully.   Long Torso options also exist
and can change the way the dress fits.   

There is no substitute for actually trying the clothes on as fit and our shapes vary LOTS. 

Offline madeleine

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2020, 12:03:37 pm »
Thanks ChrissyRyan, Tess100, MistressStevie - all good things to think about.  MistressStevie, I'm just starting to learn this the hard way.  I fit ok into an XL from an inexpensive Asian brand but when I ordered the XL size from a US retailer, it was too big.  I have to return or exchange every bottom that I bought.  I'm going to get the tape measure out before I do this  ;)

Offline sarahc

• Sarah
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2020, 12:48:20 pm »
Madeleine:

I am 5'11" and long torso as well. I learned the hard way that in dresses and in tops, tall sizes look better. Some dresses in regular size may work for you, but if there is a fitted waist feature part of the dress, the waist line is probably going to hit too high on your body. For tops, unless it is a tunic top or an oxford type shirt, you'll probably be better off going with a tall size as well.

It can be tough to find tall sizes in physical stores, but lots of the larger retailers do offer tall sizes through their online stores.

Also, as you have found, Asian brands like Uniqlo are at least 1 and sometimes 2 sizes smaller than comparable American brands.

But even for American and European brands, it is really important to look at the item-specific size charts available online before buying anything. You cannot trust the sizes - they can be inconsistent even within the same store - but the detailed item measurements (if they're available online) do give me enough information that I can be decently comfortable that the item has a chance of fitting. The most important thing I look for are: (1) tops, skirt or dress length (can't be too short); (2) hips minus waist (the hips can't be too roomy, since I don't have a women's hips) - I tend to favor slim (but not skinny) pants because the hips tend to be tighter; and (3) pant length, especially for cropped pants (can't be too short because cropped pants really don't look great on relatively short legs).

Hope that helps.

Sarah
----
47 years young.
Known that I am trans since...forever.
First therapy session / decided to transition / hair removal: October 2018
HRT: January 2019 (journal https://www.susans.org/forums/index.phpVF/topic,244009.0.html)
VFS: September 2019; three-month report here
Full-time: April 2020
FFS: August 2020
SRS: January 2021

Offline sarahc

• Sarah
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2020, 12:53:53 pm »
I've found the tall sizing at lands end and long tall sally has the longer torso you might be seeking.  I'm 6'1" but have the opposite proportions.  I find that some of the tall sizes from both vendors have really long torsos, especially LTS.  Both have good return policies which makes ordering on line easy.

Yes - Lands End has great basics - they are my mainstay for basics. I agree that Long Tall Sally is REALLY long. I actually think LTS is really focused on women 6' and taller, not really 5'10"-5'11". LTS's stuff is too long for me (and that's saying something!). Lands End's tall sizing is perfect for me.

Sarah
----
47 years young.
HRT: January 2019 (journal https://www.susans.org/forums/index.phpVF/topic,244009.0.html)

Offline madeleine

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2020, 01:16:53 pm »
Madeleine:

I am 5'11" and long torso as well. I learned the hard way that in dresses and in tops, tall sizes look better. Some dresses in regular size may work for you, but if there is a fitted waist feature part of the dress, the waist line is probably going to hit too high on your body. For tops, unless it is a tunic top or an oxford type shirt, you'll probably be better off going with a tall size as well.

It can be tough to find tall sizes in physical stores, but lots of the larger retailers do offer tall sizes through their online stores.

Also, as you have found, Asian brands like Uniqlo are at least 1 and sometimes 2 sizes smaller than comparable American brands.

But even for American and European brands, it is really important to look at the item-specific size charts available online before buying anything. You cannot trust the sizes - they can be inconsistent even within the same store - but the detailed item measurements (if they're available online) do give me enough information that I can be decently comfortable that the item has a chance of fitting. The most important thing I look for are: (1) tops, skirt or dress length (can't be too short); (2) hips minus waist (the hips can't be too roomy, since I don't have a women's hips) - I tend to favor slim (but not skinny) pants because the hips tend to be tighter; and (3) pant length, especially for cropped pants (can't be too short because cropped pants really don't look great on relatively short legs).

Hope that helps.

Sarah

Yes it does help Sarah.  This is exactly what I've been wondering about and it makes sense that is came from you because you have the same kind of build.  I can tell because this: "the waist line is probably going to hit too high on your body" has already happened to me.  Thanks for the great advice, especially about the hips - waist.

Offline Maid Marion

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2020, 08:30:59 pm »
With a bit of exercise my waistline is two inches above my belly button.  And I have a false waistline created by wearing a belt all the time two inches below my belly button.  Most women have their waistline above their navel.

Marion

Offline sarahc

• Sarah
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2020, 08:11:23 am »
With a bit of exercise my waistline is two inches above my belly button.  And I have a false waistline created by wearing a belt all the time two inches below my belly button.  Most women have their waistline above their navel.

Marion

My waistline has also moved above the navel. However, the issue that we tall, long torso folks run into is that fitted waists in regularly sizes generally hit at the bottom of the ribcage. If you try to wear a dress with a fitted waist that hits along your bottom rib, it looks terrible (obviously!). That's why we need to go to tall sizes, especially for tops and dresses with fitted waists.

Sarah
----
47 years young.

Tags: