Author Topic: Orchiectomy  (Read 1002 times)

Offline Bittydrew

• Friend
Orchiectomy
« on: April 15, 2020, 03:21:38 pm »
Admin edit: Split from another topic - Devlyn

i was wanting to have an orchie done and talked with my doctor and she said my insurance won't pay for one unless theres something like cancer going on there was thinking to myself how about if I smash them with a hammer? Wonder if they would remove them then?......

Offline Rakel

• Formerly known as Dani
  • Rakel@susans.org
Re: Re: Safer Alternatives to Spirolactone
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2020, 08:03:56 pm »
i was wanting to have an orchie done and talked with my doctor and she said my insurance won't pay for one unless theres something like cancer going on there was thinking to myself how about if I smash them with a hammer? Wonder if they would remove them then?......

That is definitely going to hurt, not once but twice, my dear.  :(

Are you just musing or are you serious? There are better alternatives than any type of self destructive behavior. I have heard of some people who self castrated, then went to an emergency hospital for repair. Self castration is so risky that nobody should ever consider doing this. Also, you might remove tissue needed for a proper GCS.

However, I do understand the desperation of those who can not find any other way to resolve their gender dysphoria. As a group, we are known for self destructive tendencies. There are better ways to resolve our dysphorias.

Retired Pharmacist with over 40 years experience in Hospital and Retail Pharmacies.
I still keep my professional licence active and in good standing.

Offline Sophiaprincess2019

• www.tickerfactory.com
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2020, 08:52:33 pm »
My Endo Doctor took me off Spironolactone altogether once I was on my maintenance level of Estradiol. She went the suppression route and I'm MUCH happier because I didn't do well on Spiro at all. I had horrible side effects and my body hurt all the time. Once I was off it things got much more pleasant. My mood swings are even less. Initially the diuretic effect made me go the bathroom 30 x a day, another annoying feature of the drug.

Needless to say I'm not a fan of Spiro.

Sophia
1968 Assigned male at birth with feminine mannerisms
1978 Dolls and dresses
1988 Experimental stage, limited makeup and clothes
1998 Denial continues, unsuccessfully tried living as a man
12-8-2018 time for a change....
2-21-2019 Started HRT
2-21-2020 One year HRT
2-21-2021 Two years HRT

Offline Maid Marion

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2020, 12:46:28 am »
I know someone at work that had a cancer orchie.  I wonder which is rarer.  The fact that he had it or the fact that he told me?

Marion

Offline Jenny_Oh

• Friend
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2020, 02:56:59 am »
@Bittydrew  I know this is difficult, especially with other things you have been going through, but self-harm is a poor choice in any situation, definitely this one.

The cost for elective orchiectomy is about $3-4k, I know, a lot of money. But depending on your insurance, you may actually find yourself paying more for an ER visit due to testicular trauma. And if the ER doctors write up the injury as self-inflicted, insurance might not pay for it anyway.

The right way to do this is to find a therapist / doctor who can persuade your insurance company that removing your testicles is an essential medical procedure. Which it is. It might take some time for this to happen, but it's worth it in the long run. And transition is all about the long run. There are medical publications extolling the economic benefits for insurers of paying for orchiectomy for transgender patients, if your insurance company is stalling these could be useful in getting them to change their mind. Just let me know if you need them, we are all here for you.

Take care,
Jen

Offline AllieSF

• Ain't Life Grand!!
Re: Orchiectomy
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2020, 12:57:13 pm »
I had my orchiectomy because I wanted to because I was taking spiro, which caused excess urine production.  Since I had my prostate removed due to cancer, I had a side effect of incontinence.  Therefore, I was having a lot of "accidents" while out dressed up, i.e. wet clothing at the worst moments!  So, when I finally decided to get an artificial sphincter to stop the leakage, I asked my Doctor, "Doc, while you are down there working away could you also ....?"  He said sure, no problem.  When I asked him how would he justify it to my insurance he told me that he would play the cancer card, already knowing that I wanted them out because of the spiro and because I was trans.

So, in case, the cancer approach may work if you have a friendly urologist or doctor.  Another way is to get a letter from you therapist that you are suffering from gender dysphoria and this surgery will help you deal with that.  Medicare may pay for that surgery under those circumstances.  I had my BA and FFS covered by Medicare with all the proper therapist letters backing it up.  Good luck and please do not hurt yourself.

Allie
HRT - February 2017
Full Time - July 2018
Orchi - January 2018
BA - September 25, 2019
FFS - January 10, 2020
GRS - TBDDD (To Be Determined, Decision and Date)

Offline shellyx234

• Visitor
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2020, 04:14:39 pm »
I've got stories to tell you! Haha

It took me many years of being a very confused, messed up person, but I managed to give my self an orchiectomy.  It is a crazy thing to even attempt doing to yourself! But, I understand the drive to do it. As a gender dysphoric person, I wanted to feel more like a woman and the orchiectomy concept offers a finality.  If you have your organs removed, I can tell you, they don't grow back.

While again not advising any self-harm or surgery, I can say that having a complete orchiectomy seems to have had some benefits on my mental health.  When I was young I was very nuts, I think, and my drives and my perception of myself and my gender and sexuality was extremely conflicted and this generated some pretty extreme behavior. The truth is, I was in misery and a lot of pain. But, I started fairly young doing things to my tested that would make most people cringe. I do not recommend employing any mechanical methods to injure or remove your tested. There are a lot of nerves and blood vessels down there and you are more likely to experience unbearable pain than you are to succeed.  By the time I first had my Testosterone checked with my doctor, I had done everything imaginable to my testes, or what was left of them, and they were still producing enough to be on the low side of 'normal.'

I finally finished the job about 6 years ago, the method I used was relatively painless, but still I ran a huge risk of winding up in the Emergency Room. I've received Testosterone HRT in order to stay 'normal' and function as a male, but it has had a lot of downsides. Your body has a natural way of regulating it's hormones and anything artificial is going to work a little differently.  I am moving towards transitioning to live as a female, and I have gone quite a while off the T Injections and have experienced bigtime menopausal symptoms! Hot flashes, broken sleep, night sweats, etc. It's pretty uncomfortable when your body is devoid of it's sex hormones. Energy is lagging, physical strength is greater reduced, even your face looks flushed and weird. Just letting people out there know that it's a big deal losing your gonads! It's not an easy experience.

But, I think it actually has made me more balanced and a better person, even if I felt like I was 80 years old at times.

Offline Oldandcreaky

• Family
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2020, 04:18:54 pm »
@Bittydrew  I know this is difficult, especially with other things you have been going through, but self-harm is a poor choice in any situation, definitely this one.

The cost for elective orchiectomy is about $3-4k, I know, a lot of money. But depending on your insurance, you may actually find yourself paying more for an ER visit due to testicular trauma. And if the ER doctors write up the injury as self-inflicted, insurance might not pay for it anyway.

The right way to do this is to find a therapist / doctor who can persuade your insurance company that removing your testicles is an essential medical procedure. Which it is. It might take some time for this to happen, but it's worth it in the long run. And transition is all about the long run. There are medical publications extolling the economic benefits for insurers of paying for orchiectomy for transgender patients, if your insurance company is stalling these could be useful in getting them to change their mind. Just let me know if you need them, we are all here for you.

Take care,
Jen

^This^

Offline Tamara Tilly

• Friend
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2020, 12:20:49 am »
My Endo Doctor took me off Spironolactone altogether once I was on my maintenance level of Estradiol. She went the suppression route and I'm MUCH happier because I didn't do well on Spiro at all. I had horrible side effects and my body hurt all the time. O

Needless to say I'm not a fan of Spiro.

Sophia

That's interesting, and awful, to read Sophie. I also had a terrible reaction to Spironolactone. It nearly killed me. Generally my time with anti-androgens was poor. Bicalutamide also gave me very bad adverse effects and there were none which were clean. The orchiectomy sorted it all once-and-for-all.

Bittydew, mine cost around $4000 USD as I recall at PAI in Bangkok.

Offline Tamara Tilly

• Friend
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2020, 12:24:39 am »

I finally finished the job about 6 years ago, the method I used was relatively painless, but still I ran a huge risk of winding up in the Emergency Room. I've received Testosterone HRT in order to stay 'normal' and function as a male, but it has had a lot of downsides. Your body has a natural way of regulating it's hormones and anything artificial is going to work a little differently.  I am moving towards transitioning to live as a female, and I have gone quite a while off the T Injections and have experienced bigtime menopausal symptoms! Hot flashes, broken sleep, night sweats, etc. It's pretty uncomfortable when your body is devoid of it's sex hormones. Energy is lagging, physical strength is greater reduced, even your face looks flushed and weird. Just letting people out there know that it's a big deal losing your gonads! It's not an easy experience.

But, I think it actually has made me more balanced and a better person, even if I felt like I was 80 years old at times.

Gulp. That was quite a post to read Shelly. Wow. I do get it though.

Re. the part I've quoted I totally agree with you in every way. I'm getting to the point now where I'll be taking E but also a very small amount of T for energy and libido boost.

Offline Yumie

• Visitor
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2021, 05:28:12 am »
Admin edit: Split from another topic - Devlyn

if you are ts, maybe consider to do orchie in Thailand?

Tags: