Author Topic: Physical figure  (Read 1929 times)

Offline Pammie

Re: Physical figure
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2020, 03:38:25 pm »

Male fail. That's funny. Losing height is most definitely a big change. I've heard others say it on other forums, that they did lose height, as much as 2 inches, which is significant loss. I believe it could happen to me.
Losing height is absolutely not a given and relates to a condition that is sometimes exacerbated by mtf hormones. I think it’s called lordosis and it relates to spine curvature

I opened the door and the light shone in

Offline LaRae

• "No one ever wetted clay and then left it, as if there would be bricks by chance and fortune."
  • Friend
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2020, 04:07:22 pm »
Hi!

So I’m quite a ‘big bloke’ I’ve got quite a big physical figure, I’m 6”2 and all though I’m quite average on my weight, my figure is big.

For example, when standing next to some other guys I’m quite big.

And I just wondered if HRT changes your physical shape a bit? Or what I could do to make myself appear not so big and more feminine?

Thanks!

I'm around the same size as you, & I've been on HRT for 18 months. I've gained around 45 pounds, almost all above & below the waist. I still have broad shoulders, always will, but curves do wonders to feminize your look.
"Never forget what you are, the rest of the world will not. Wear it like armour and it can never be used to hurt you."

Offline Daylight

• Neighbor
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2020, 08:32:06 pm »
Glad to read about the potential height loss! I'm 6'4" and I think I'm at peace with that, but it would be great to get down to 6'2".

Good luck on your journey, TheNaylornator, and thank you everyone for sharing about this and cheering me up!
39 years old and learning to be Megan :)

Offline sarahc

• Sarah
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2020, 09:55:28 pm »
I lost a lot weight in conjunction with starting hormones (5'11", 215 lbs--->160 lbs), so it is hard to separate the effects hormones vs. weight loss. Overall the effects I have had are:

* Natural waist moved up above my navel, and I have an ok figure (not great).
* Shoulders did slim down meaningfully, ribcage not as much (but some because of the weight loss)
* Neck slimmed down a lot.
* Not much change in butt or legs.
* I lost a full shoe size
* No change in height (bummer)

I echo what a couple others have said, which is that losing weight really, really, really helps. To be honest, I am as proud of my weight loss as I am of my transition, maybe even prouder of the weight loss(?). The weight loss gave me confidence that hormones alone would not have provided.

Sarah
----
47 years young.
Known that I am trans since...forever.
First therapy session / decided to transition / hair removal: October 2018
HRT: January 2019 (journal https://www.susans.org/forums/index.phpVF/topic,244009.0.html)
VFS: September 2019; three-month report here
Full-time: April 2020
FFS: April August 2020 (assuming no more coronavirus-driven rescheduling... :-\)
SRS: January 2021

Online Maid Marion

« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2020, 04:53:08 am »
Hi Sarah,

Congratulations on the weight loss!  Yes, that really makes a difference.

Marion

Offline Virelai

« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2020, 09:44:52 am »
Can anyone explain weight loss to me? I've seen reports that on M2F HRT we gain weight (I think because of loss of the high metabolism that is common in men). What is this about losing weight?

Offline sarahc

• Sarah
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2020, 10:22:47 am »
I don’t think there is any consistent data connecting weight loss / weight gain and HRT. There are theories like the metabolism thing, but no data.

My weight loss on HRT was definitely because I was rigorously counting calories for months. I am convinced that calorie counting is the most effective thing you can do to lose weight. If you don’t see the data that you’re eating too much, you’ll continue to eat too much. After several months Of tracking, I now know how much I can safely eat to not gain weight. Plenty of excellent free apps are available to help you enter meals quickly, like MyFitnessPal.

Sarah
----
47 years young.
Known that I am trans since...forever.
First therapy session / decided to transition / hair removal: October 2018
HRT: January 2019 (journal https://www.susans.org/forums/index.phpVF/topic,244009.0.html)
VFS: September 2019; three-month report here
Full-time: April 2020
FFS: April August 2020 (assuming no more coronavirus-driven rescheduling... :-\)
SRS: January 2021

Online Maid Marion

« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2020, 10:32:33 am »
I have a balance beam scale, like the one in many doctor's offices, so I accurately know my weight.

Offline Ellie_Arroway

• ellie_arroway@susans.org
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2020, 12:30:24 pm »
I have a balance beam scale, like the one in many doctor's offices, so I accurately know my weight.

Well, technically, you know your mass, as it is that that a balance measures, but it is commonly called weight. You could use that instrument on the moon and get the same reading.

When I report my "weight," I do it in kilograms; technically that's wrong to do so, because weight is a force. Newtons would be a measure of force. I use a floor scale, and that is measuring weight, but reporting it in units of mass. If I was to use that on the moon, it would show me a very different reading.

That's the physicist in me. Sorry! I'll go back to sleep now! - E
Started seriously questioning: 24 Aug 2019
Referred to GIC: 23 Sep 2019
Full-time female presentation since: 21 Oct 2019, unbroken since 12 Dec 2019
Official name change by deed poll: 11 Nov 2019
HRT: probably sometime in the 22nd century...
Most of my story is in the Just another mtf tale thread!
Twitch streamer MusicEllie

Offline Ellie_Arroway

« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2020, 12:32:54 pm »
Can anyone explain weight loss to me? I've seen reports that on M2F HRT we gain weight (I think because of loss of the high metabolism that is common in men). What is this about losing weight?

You alluded to the loss of high metabolism.

It's not a given that you would gain weight when going on female hormones, but it is acknowledged that some loss of strength occurs as muscles become smaller. I believe that is the reason that the level of metabolism goes down slightly. - E

Online Maid Marion

« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2020, 12:54:59 pm »
My wife, who used to be small and petite, concluded that the major reason is that I'd eat less than she did.
At a fast food place I'd have a plain hamburger and a small fries.  She would have a deluxe burger and a fish sandwich.

Offline Ellie_Arroway

« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2020, 12:57:51 pm »
I'm quite lazy, and often, I just don't feel like getting up and cooking, even if I'm feeling hungry. I also don't have a great deal of "bad" food around. I guess it all helps!

Offline JanePlain

• Living the dream.
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2020, 04:28:01 pm »
Interesting topic.  One thing that I recall from someone who was doing a lot of work out is that muscle weighs more then fat.  So maybe loosing muscle mass is some part of this?  I'm truly confused how your height would change significantly.  Oh!  As far as fat distribution and overall shape I read some interesting things about variations of liposuction where its reassigned from one region to the other.  I'm not too keen on the idea although I do wish there was some magic pill to deal with abdominal fat (ugh)

Offline Ellie_Arroway

« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2020, 03:35:05 am »
I'm not too keen on the idea although I do wish there was some magic pill to deal with abdominal fat (ugh)

Well, there are pills that help with slimming...

Offline Julielynn

« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2020, 05:12:48 am »
I noticed I was having a hard time losing weight a little time after I started HRT.  I altered my calorie count to reflect a woman's metabolism and I started losing again.  Definitely you have to use a woman as the baseline for calculating Basal metabolic rates. 

As for gaining or losing.  I'm sure gaining is related to caloric count as you aren't going to be able to have as much.   So if you're overweight and thinking of going the HRT route, lose it now while it's slightly easier. 

As for the ladies who lost weight, it's mainly the muscle changes as muscle weighs more and a loss of upper body strength can account for a lot.

Offline Rakel

• Formerly known as Dani
  • Rakel@susans.org
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2020, 10:47:40 pm »
Well, there are pills that help with slimming...

Ellie,

Please don't go there.  :embarrassed:

All the medications for losing weight have many undesirable side effects. What is really more important is that as soon as you stop taking those pills, you will gain the weight right back and then gain a bit more weight.  :'(

The only safe proven way to lose weight is a calorie appropriate diet for your desired size and activity level. A healthy diet is 50% vegetables, 25% fruit and the remaining a little bit of meat, grain and dairy and continue this diet for the rest of your life.

Offline Ellie_Arroway

« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2020, 04:43:20 am »
All the medications for losing weight have many undesirable side effects. What is really more important is that as soon as you stop taking those pills, you will gain the weight right back and then gain a bit more weight.  :'(

I'm sure there are side effects, and you would certainly know more about that than I. I'm lucky enough to have never needed anything like that.

However, if a person makes permanent changes to their diet, they will not necessarily regain the weight, regardless of whether they take these tablets. In that case, the tablets may have assisted the process. I'm sure everybody's aware that if at the end of a diet you regress to your previous habit, you will eventually put the weight back on.

I say this in the absence of any other factors; certain other medications and diseases can of course cause weight gain and/or weight loss as a side effect.

In terms of my own slimming experience, I can say that I have used Asda's (Walmart UK) version of Slimfast and otherwise maintained a reasonably healthy diet, and that has worked really well for me. I have never used tablets to aid slimming. - E

Offline Oldandcreaky

• Family
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2020, 05:57:05 am »
Ellie,

Please don't go there.  :embarrassed:

The only safe proven way to lose weight is a calorie appropriate diet for your desired size and activity level. A healthy diet is 50% vegetables, 25% fruit and the remaining a little bit of meat, grain and dairy and continue this diet for the rest of your life.

Once again, Raquel, yours in the voice of reason. Thanks for discouraging the use of diet pills and warning of their costs. I need a few more carbs than your 50/25/25 ratio would deliver because I walk miles everyday and lug tons of stone and mulch, but that ratio is a good starting point for everyone.

Offline PrettyHateMachine89

« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2020, 10:38:32 am »
Wow, reading thru this thread and didn't realize HRT can make an MTF lose height. Seeing all the other changes you guys are documenting as well is filling me with so much hope <3
I'd rather die than give you control

Offline Jessica_K

« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2020, 02:40:34 am »
I started adult life at 5’4”, so going down below 5’2” (with added age loss) is good, anything that makes me feel and look more feminine the better

Jessica xx

Only issue I have ever had was as male getting served at a bar, I could be at the front, a tall guy behind would catch the eye of the bar staff before me, now as female men let me get to the front and ensure I get served :-)

Tags: