Author Topic: Testosterone messing up your voice?  (Read 468 times)

Offline TheAmazingRatman

• Visitor
Testosterone messing up your voice?
« on: April 22, 2020, 02:19:36 am »
Hello everyone, my name is Lucas and I'm confused about some things that I've heard regarding testosterone.

One of my friends recently started looking into starting t and they got some strange warnings I had never heard before. Someone claimed to them that the American healthcare system starts men and transmasculine people on too high a dose of testosterone, which they claimed made their voices permanently "squeaky." Another person claimed that singing while your voice is dropping on t permanently "ruins" your voice. I couldn't find any further information on either of these claims and I'd love to know if any of you have heard either of these things before.

(Also, I'm an American trans male singer who has been on a pretty standard dose of t for about 9 months and I haven't noticed any problems with my voice).
« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 12:58:02 pm by Northern Star Girl »

Online RandiL

• Formerly RandyL
  • On the way
Re: Testosterone messing up your voice?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2020, 04:58:00 pm »
I'm skeptical of those claims. Billions of young men have gone through voice transition through increased T levels without harm. It's an awkward time for sure as your voice cracks unexpectedly, but you get through it. Not everybody is pleased with the voice they get at the end, but isn't that the way it is for so many body features?

Sent from my dual-floppy Victor 9000 using Tapatalk

Forging my new, best life as Randi

My personal blog thread: Randi the lost traveler, finding the right road at last

My HRT thread: Randi's HRT Journal

Offline Ellie_Arroway

• ellie_arroway@susans.org
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2020, 05:16:58 pm »
I also doubt those claims.

Do 50% of the population stop singing when they start puberty so as to preserve their voice? No, of course not. - E
Started seriously questioning: 24 Aug 2019
Referred to GIC: 23 Sep 2019
Full-time female presentation since: 21 Oct 2019, unbroken since 12 Dec 2019
Official name change by deed poll: 11 Nov 2019
HRT: started 6 Apr 2021 via GenderCare/NHS shared care
Most of my story is in the Just another mtf tale thread!
Twitch streamer MusicEllie

Offline Rakel

• Formerly known as Dani
  • Rakel@susans.org
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2020, 09:54:00 pm »
I cannot find any evidence that singing while your voice is dropping while on Testosterone will ruin your voice. This may be from one person's experience. I would no way consider this to be true for all people. I will say that almost every male will experience some pitch lowering. How you interpret this to ruining your voice or not, is anyone's guess.

How much your voice drops, if it ever does, depends on your Testosterone blood levels and your physical anatomy. A squeaky voice may happen when your voice breaks, but this should not last forever and definitely not because of too high of a Testosterone blood level. Expect your voice to sound similar to any other man who is your size and shape, especially in the throat area.

Retired Pharmacist with over 40 years experience in Hospital and Retail Pharmacies.
I still keep my professional licence active and in good standing.

Offline ConfusedSarah

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2020, 07:55:08 am »
It is unlikely that it will ruin your voice, but you can forget being remaining a soprano.

Tags: ftm hrt testosterone