Author Topic: What's the strangest thing you have noticed on HRT?  (Read 757 times)

Offline Carla68

• Neighbor
What's the strangest thing you have noticed on HRT?
« on: May 04, 2020, 03:11:33 pm »
So far after 15 months of HRT I have noticed a few of the usual things we expect, sore nipples, breast growth, lack of libido etc

But i am convinced that there are other subtle changes and for me i am sure i have lost the ability to crack an egg!!!

I kid you not before I started HRT I could take an egg out of the carton hit it on the side of the frying pan and crack a perfect egg, same for adding to a mixing bowl

Now I take about three attempts like a horse faltering at a jump, at first i just ignored it but it's getting worse I'm sure this is a side effect!!

Anyone else notice anything just slightly different

Carla
Carla

Offline Virelai

Re: What's the strangest thing you have noticed on HRT?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2020, 03:31:56 pm »
Well, I've only been on HRT for a short time, but one thing I've noticed that I didn't know to expect is that my skin seems to be drier. My hands are breaking out often even though it's not winter/cold and I'm not active. I'm not 100% convinced this is a HRT thing quite yet, though. I just read about it recently after I began HRT and that caught my eye, but it could just be a coincidence.

The fact that my odor...down there...changed around pretty quickly caught me by surprise, too.

I've been happy to get tenderness in my nipples just a few days in and right at the month mark my nipples became harder and quite a bit more sensitive. The only thing that's weird about this is that I didn't expect it so soon. When it started a few days in, I thought I was just overthinking things... You know we all want change to happen fast, but to think it actually was.  :o

Offline Jessica_K

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2020, 06:12:10 am »
Now been on HRT something like 15 months, all the usual stuff, but unexpected has been mental rather than physical, again not the usual mental effects of calming the dysphoria but that I notice things more and they bother me, such as tidying the kitchen after cooking, used to often leave it to the morning, but now it has to be done and done properly with all the surfaces shining immediately after eating and before coffee. I also chastise my partner for putting cups and plates on the surfaces during the day instead of putting them in the dishwasher lol

Jessica xx

Offline Maid Marion

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2020, 10:56:28 am »
I think the difficulty with cracking eggs is just your mind readjusting to a new body.  I had a traumatic brain injury.  In the process of recovery I broke two dozen glasses.

Marion

Offline Ellie_Arroway

• ellie_arroway@susans.org
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2020, 02:40:16 pm »
Now been on HRT something like 15 months, all the usual stuff, but unexpected has been mental rather than physical, again not the usual mental effects of calming the dysphoria but that I notice things more and they bother me, such as tidying the kitchen after cooking, used to often leave it to the morning, but now it has to be done and done properly with all the surfaces shining immediately after eating and before coffee. I also chastise my partner for putting cups and plates on the surfaces during the day instead of putting them in the dishwasher lol

I am a very untidy person myself, and I hope that a change like that happens in me when and if I get on HRT. I'm not lazy but I think I'm on the ADHD spectrum (well, I am, probably not enough for a diagnosis though).

My mother and father were also messy so maybe there's not all that much hope, but maybe...
Started seriously questioning: 24 Aug 2019
Referred to GIC: 23 Sep 2019
Full-time female presentation since: 21 Oct 2019, unbroken since 12 Dec 2019
Official name change by deed poll: 11 Nov 2019
HRT: probably sometime in the 22nd century...
Most of my story is in the Just another mtf tale thread!
Twitch streamer MusicEllie

Offline Carla68

• Neighbor
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2020, 02:49:47 pm »
Well, I've only been on HRT for a short time, but one thing I've noticed that I didn't know to expect is that my skin seems to be drier. My hands are breaking out often even though it's not winter/cold and I'm not active. I'm not 100% convinced this is a HRT thing quite yet, though. I just read about it recently after I began HRT and that caught my eye, but it could just be a coincidence.

I think overall my skin has now got a lot softer, when I do pole fitness my grip is not as good, But i have had dry index fingers, breaking out in cracks and I have never had that before (was before the extra covid handwash routines)
Carla

Offline Virelai

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2020, 03:58:09 pm »
I think overall my skin has now got a lot softer, when I do pole fitness my grip is not as good, But i have had dry index fingers, breaking out in cracks and I have never had that before (was before the extra covid handwash routines)

Oh yeah, my skin is so much softer and I love it. I can't keep my hands off of my legs because they're so soft! Also, the other night when I got in bed, my legs just felt incredibly comfortable under the sheets. It was amazing!

In regards to dry hands, I've actually had them for years, but in the past it would only happen during the winter or when I was really active with my hands (like doing a stocking job). But now it just happens randomly. Although today they seem fine, so I don't know.

Offline JanePlain

• Living the dream.
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2020, 06:03:00 pm »

The fact that my odor...down there...changed around pretty quickly caught me by surprise, too.

I've been happy to get tenderness in my nipples just a few days in and right at the month mark my nipples became harder and quite a bit more sensitive. The only thing that's weird about this is that I didn't expect it so soon. When it started a few days in, I thought I was just overthinking things... You know we all want change to happen fast, but to think it actually was.  :o

I expected to loose the male "musky smell" but I was surprised how much more sensitive my sense of smell became.  Has anyone else felt like colors became brighter or is it just the improved mood or excitement of going on HRT and or getting rid of "them"? Speaking of which. I accept that Estrogen is resolving some dysphoria issues but I honestly wonder if its not also a natural anti depressant?  I'm actually considering asking my Doctor to try taking me off the drug company one I'm on.

Ok, I'm glad someone said the bit about dishes.  Strangely I also have turned into something of a Susie homemaker in as far as washing dishes, putting things away and being annoyed (but I keep it to myself) with my wife when she leaves a pile of dirty dishes in the sink. I find myself doing other household things that I didn't used to have any need for. Picking up her cloths off the floor (daily) is a thing. 

Are we fated to turn into our mothers?  ;D

Whoever said that having low levels of hormones was awful... Amen!  Just horrible.  I pondered the ranges that were spelled out in particular the m2f upper range of up to 100ng/dL which I admit surprised me at first (But my endo is on that page as well)  I think I can say that a male with even double that is going to have some serious issues with testosterone levels that low. I would hate to be transitioning f2m and being put on only enough tesosterone to get to 100ng/dL.  Its just not very male feeling.  At least from my pre transition experience. And feeling "good" at a level thats still clearly under normal male levels?  If your taking a proper amount of estrogen?  Why not? Estrogen trumps Testosterone even in small doses.  *Or so I've read.

BTW maybe I'm not thinking about this correctly but I think one advantage we have over our cis sisters is most of them expect and accept menopause and I think most of us won't ever have to.  Or is that the plan for some of you?  As far as HRT/hormones being able to hang on to your youth I really think HRT has done a bit of that and I for one more then welcome it.

Oh!  One last unusual effect of going on HRT.  Clarity.  Thinking in a way thats less muddled.  Did anyone else feel that change for them?

Online Confused1

• Non Binary
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2020, 04:48:15 pm »
So far after 15 months of HRT I have noticed a few of the usual things we expect, sore nipples, breast growth, lack of libido etc

But i am convinced that there are other subtle changes and for me i am sure i have lost the ability to crack an egg!!!

Anyone else notice anything just slightly different

Carla

Hi Carla,
I am not on HRT, but Lupron while going through radiation. It is chemical castration and I had the 6 month shot at the beginning of March. I have noticed calmness, a large drop in libido, softer skin, and actually the first thing was my sense of smell and the change in my own body odor. Like Jane, I think it has added some clarity to my thinking. I don't think it has affected my coordination or anything like that. All of these would Not be attributed to any estrogen, but the Loss of Testosterone and whatever natural estrogen I had. It all seemed to change at slight more than a month after the shot.

Offline RobynD

• Family
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2020, 05:49:41 pm »
For me, it was the change in smell, some things smell much stronger. Oh, also I used to really love cloudy and even slightly rainy days. Now I love sunshine, but that probably says something about my change in life outlook in general.

Offline sandrauk

• Friend
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2020, 06:09:09 pm »
mosquitos.
They used to leave me alone whilst my wife would be covered in bites. Now she's post menopause and untouched while they literally hunt me down.

Offline AllieSF

• Ain't Life Grand!!
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2020, 06:12:38 pm »
I noticed a change in smell for my urine.  Another interesting thing for me was that before starting HRT I was constantly shopping online, discounted prices, and in thrift shops, buying way more than I needed.  From day 1 of starting hormones I stopped all that.  Funny thing is that I did not plan that, it just happened naturally with the help of HRT.  I only realized that many months later.  I have come to believe that our mind fills gaps, covers issues with other more enjoyable activities.  It really helped me and I guess I didn't need any more retail therapy anymore.

Now I am hoping we get out of this Covis stuff soon, because now I am covering whatever issues that need to be covered by starting to shop online again.
HRT - February 2017
Full Time - July 2018
Orchi - January 2018
BA - September 25, 2019
FFS - January 10, 2020
GRS - TBDDD (To Be Determined, Decision and Date)

Offline JanePlain

• Living the dream.
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2020, 07:16:24 pm »
Yes!  Urine smell... I have to admit that has changed but I guess I wasn't paying attention because thats right on the nose.  Ditto to the rain - sunshine switch.  I still find sleeping easier with rain but I've got a clock radio that does Waves on the surf that works just as well.  Retail Therapy... OMG imagine if that was a medical issue???  I'm too much of a cheapskate to have that issue.  You can call me "Lead Wallet" errr purse.... 

Offline Ellie_Arroway

• ellie_arroway@susans.org
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2020, 03:28:38 am »
For me, it was the change in smell, some things smell much stronger.

I believe it's generally recognised that women's sense of smell is keener than men's sense of smell.
Started seriously questioning: 24 Aug 2019
Referred to GIC: 23 Sep 2019
Full-time female presentation since: 21 Oct 2019, unbroken since 12 Dec 2019
Official name change by deed poll: 11 Nov 2019
HRT: probably sometime in the 22nd century...
Most of my story is in the Just another mtf tale thread!
Twitch streamer MusicEllie

Offline Jeanne

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2020, 01:18:05 pm »
I know that I'm replying late, but I could easily see how the act of cracking an egg could change.  To compare, I paddle whitewater for fun.  When I went to a river last week I noticed that my coordination had changed and my reactions had slowed (and I flipped and fell out a lot.)  Instead of making aggressive moves, my entire being wanted to make smooth carving motions.  Sure, part of this was a loss of fast twitch muscle.  More though, I think that the way that I sensed, processed and reacted to things had changed.

Offline zirconia

« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2020, 08:02:30 am »
I think that the way that I sensed, processed and reacted to things had changed.

Hmmm... That may apply to me too.

I always felt absolutely clumsy before—ever since childhood. To cite just one example, I had to really concentrate whenever I had to catch anything thrown to me, and still failed half the time... LOL.

But now my hands seem to move so accurately and automatically I don't even have to think about it.

Tags: