Author Topic: Birdwatching  (Read 1218 times)

Offline ChrissyRyan

• Have a gentle manner ❤️
  • Family
  • No act of kindness, however small, is wasted.
Birdwatching
« on: May 11, 2020, 02:43:44 pm »
One of my favorite pastimes is enjoying the watching of birds.  There is such a variety.

Please feel free to post your birdwatching photographs and experiences.  Or simply post pictures and comments about birds you like.

Chrissy

Be a good example of good behavior.  Always be kinder than needed.  Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that you speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.  Serve others.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

Offline Devlyn

• The Forum Administrator
  • devlynmarie@susans.org
Re: Birdwatching
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2020, 03:14:21 pm »
When I was at my friend's house in North Carolina waiting for my visa last year, an orange cardinal came to her feeder every day. I wish I had a picture of it.

As a newcomer to the UK, I'm having to relearn birds because there are so many I haven't seen before. I know they're far from adored here, but I like the magpies. We have a pair of pied wagtails that visit our yard every day.
Veteran, US Army

Offline Northern Star Girl

• Previously Alaskan Danielle
  • northernstargirl@susans.org
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2020, 03:17:58 pm »
@ChrissyRyan
Dear Christine:
When I am on my nature hikes I do come across beautiful birds as well as other interesting things, next time I will try to get some pictures so that you can help me identify exactly what I was looking at.   

But you need to know that in this time of year the mosquitoes are becoming very voracious... in Alaska we call the Mosquito our state bird !!!!

I will be following your new thread with much interest.

HUGS,
Danielle
***SEE MY LINKS BELOW
The Ramblings of a Northern*Star Girl
A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles
I am the HUNTED PREY: Danielle’s Chronicles
Things change re: ALASKAN DANIELLE
Positive Mindset... put away negativity

Started HRT:   March 2015
Went Full-Time    December 2016
Quit my male-mode job and relocated to a very small town in Alaska in January 2017
I'm a blonde, blue eyed woman, Age 41

Online Maid Marion

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2020, 03:31:58 pm »
Mosquitoes are having a rough time of it this year.  The ones around aren't used to the snow we have been having in May!  Like yesterday.

I have nesting Cardinals in my yard.  My yard is one of the easiest places to find birds.  All the flowers I grow attract insects, which attract small birds, which attract the big ones.  Like Red Tailed Hawks.  And a Northern Harrier.

I once saw a squirrel and a hawk while running the snow blower one morning.  A big dual stage machine that can easily do the entire neighborhood.  It was so noisy that the squirrel couldn't hear the hawk coming.  I watched the hawk carry the squirrel away...

Offline ChrissyRyan

• Family
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2020, 04:22:35 pm »
@Northern Star Girl
@Maid Marion

Disney does a terrific job with reducing misquotes.

There are a number of online videos about this, here is one: 

“https://youtu.be/_30jPKzWdN0”          “Why Are There No Mosquitoes at Disney World?”
Be a good example of good behavior.  Always be kinder than needed.  Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that you speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.  Serve others.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

Offline Oldandcreaky

• Family
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2020, 04:26:39 pm »
Chrissy, I live in the woods and feed many birds from big, like turkeys, to little, like Ruby Throated Hummingbirds. I especially love the Pileated Woodpeckers, Bald Eagles, Ospreys, Goshawks, Goldfinches, Purple Finces, and Juncos, but my favorite might be the common crow. They're wicked smart, cooperative, playful, and fabulous fliers. Their favorite foods are peanut suet balls and Saltine crackers. When I go to bed each evening, I actually get excited about feeding them the next morning. I like Blue Jays too, which many who feed birds don't.

Marion, your story reminds me of having a red-tailed hawk fly directly in front of my windshield once with a writhing snake in its talons. Oh, I wanted to replay that moment again and again.

Offline big kim

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2020, 02:09:22 am »
I'm a bird watcher too.A great variety of birds where I live near Blackpool.We have the sea on 2 sides & a river with quite a few woods, nature reserves, ponds & marshes. Some of my favourites I've seen here are great spotted woodpecker, ring necked parakeet, sparrowhawk, buzzard, kestrel, peregrine falcon, pintail,smew, garganey, long eared owl, curlew, little egret, heron,water rail

Offline CynthiaAnn

• like totally dig that pacific pulse....
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2020, 08:09:40 am »
In the spring mornings here and with the bedroom window open, I awake to the robin's song before the dawn. There is a certain conversation that takes place this time of year. Bald Eagles soaring above are a fairly common sight here. Barred owls hooting at night are heard fairly often  :) Our family loves the gulls, sea gulls, and it was a favorite past time to feed the gulls at the beach when the girls were young. One gull that is particularly sleek, would be the NW Pacific "Mew Gull", i sometimes use this image as my avatar here  :)

C
kindness is love nurturing your soul....

Offline Mills

• dOn'T pAnIc! when in a dress
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2020, 09:14:13 am »
We have quite a nice back garden, in the one corner there's a massive and over grown honeysuckle and in the corner opposite there's a large and again quite overgrown climbing rose going all over the side and roof of my large shed, and all the little birds and squirrels love it.

The trouble is we also have cats.

I won't post pictures.

Mills
I'm Quiet, Shy and permanently confused, shout at me if you want!

Offline ChrissyRyan

• Family
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2020, 09:29:42 am »
Birds are interesting.

I think one flew into one of my windows.  It must have had quite the concussion as I found it dead on the patio.   :(

Chrissy

Offline Oldandcreaky

• Family
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2020, 11:09:05 am »
I'm a bird watcher too.A great variety of birds where I live near Blackpool.We have the sea on 2 sides & a river with quite a few woods, nature reserves, ponds & marshes. Some of my favourites I've seen here are great spotted woodpecker, ring necked parakeet, sparrowhawk, buzzard, kestrel, peregrine falcon, pintail,smew, garganey, long eared owl, curlew, little egret, heron,water rail

Lucky Kim! Those are some great birds.

Offline Liina

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2020, 10:51:54 am »
As spring has been here for awhile now it is the perfect time to see birds and all comings and goings. I take extra time to go out and see who is doing what. Here are some my recent captures with the camera.  I have seen many this spring as always, my challenge is to get them in flight which is not always possible. Liina

Offline Liina

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2020, 10:55:19 am »
Another small collection, In particular I thought of Blue Jay while I saw and captured one in the real.
Liina

Offline Oldandcreaky

• Family
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2020, 11:30:57 am »
Liina, your photos are gorgeous!

Offline ChrissyRyan

• Family
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2020, 07:58:52 pm »
As spring has been here for awhile now it is the perfect time to see birds and all comings and goings. I take extra time to go out and see who is doing what. Here are some my recent captures with the camera.  I have seen many this spring as always, my challenge is to get them in flight which is not always possible. Liina

Very nice pictures!

Chrissy

Offline ChrissyRyan

• Family
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2020, 10:42:43 pm »
I enjoy listening to the birds.

Chrissy

Offline Liina

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2020, 01:29:32 pm »
Agreed Chrissy, it is so wonderful to wake up to bird songs in the early morning, a soothing start to the day. I have identified a few of their songs and then the bird to know who's who in the neighborhood. Several bird song ID books have been super helpful.
Enjoy the birds!

Liina

Offline Northern Star Girl

• Previously Alaskan Danielle
  • northernstargirl@susans.org
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2020, 01:33:28 pm »
Agreed Chrissy, it is so wonderful to wake up to bird songs in the early morning, a soothing start to the day. I have identified a few of their songs and then the bird to know who's who in the neighborhood. Several bird song ID books have been super helpful.
Enjoy the birds!

Liina
@Liina   @ChrissyRyan

Frogs riveting at night and bird chirping in the morning!!!    When the weather permits I sleep with my window partly open so I can hear the orchestra of nature... I love it.

HUGS,
Daniellle
***SEE MY LINKS BELOW
The Ramblings of a Northern*Star Girl
A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles
I am the HUNTED PREY: Danielle’s Chronicles
Things change re: ALASKAN DANIELLE
Positive Mindset... put away negativity

Started HRT:   March 2015
Went Full-Time    December 2016
Quit my male-mode job and relocated to a very small town in Alaska in January 2017
I'm a blonde, blue eyed woman, Age 41

Offline Liina

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2020, 09:40:41 am »
@ Northern Star Girl, I do not have the frogs in my area that add to the chorus, however on some of my travels I have experienced and been in areas of East Africa where the frogs are a full on Orchestra during the dark hours, that was cool! Mind you there were other animals which added to the session that stick out as well, like the Baratone Hippo or the Elephant. Not everyone or everything sleeps at night over there.....

Liina

Offline Liina

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2020, 11:12:34 am »
Sometimes you hear these birds all over but can never find them in an opening of in a place to photograph them. Well finally I found a Ring necked Pheasant who obliged me and offered a look.
Liina

Tags: