Author Topic: As a woman, have you found dressing femininely has any downside professionally?  (Read 2007 times)

Offline Karen_A

• Friend
If someone is readable vs not or everyone "knows" vs not, does that change how one should dress at work in a professional position?

-Karen

Offline RandyL

• Non-binary
If someone is readable vs not or everyone "knows" vs not, does that change how one should dress at work in a professional position?

-Karen
If it were me, if I'm readable or everyone knows, I might want to compensate by dressing up a notch. Professionally of course, not evening attire.

Sent from my dual-floppy Victor 9000 using Tapatalk

Casting about for my best path forward...

Offline herekitten

My personal experience is that it has NOT affected it all.  I dress professionally and femininely -- but always always always dressed above my job level. Even pantsuits can be feminine depending on fabric, accessories and what you've paired with it. I feel that if anything, it has enhanced my career.  What am I wearing today? Ivory silk linen cuffed dress pants with a pink stripe blouse with french cuffs. For shoes?  My flat pointy nude lace weitzmans.  Very feminine, yet very professional. You get the picture.  I'm a fan of Jane Fonda's wardrobe on Grace and Frankie.  Feminine yet professional.
It is the lives we encounter that make life worth living. - Guy De Maupassant

Offline Pammie

What's my point? I guess live your life. I tell myself over and over, I didn't transition to dress down in jeans and tees lol. But everyone has their own style and life. Find yours. <3
This sums it up for me. My styles have evolved over the last 3 years and I dress smarter than most of my colleagues but for me I also want to feel good!’
I love feminine clothes and don’t offer wear jeans but sometimes certainly

I opened the door and the light shone in

Offline Ellie_Arroway

• ellie_arroway@susans.org
This sums it up for me. My styles have evolved over the last 3 years and I dress smarter than most of my colleagues but for me I also want to feel good!’
I love feminine clothes and don’t offer wear jeans but sometimes certainly

I have two pairs of lovely purple jeans that look great! They are women's jeans and I remember being really tempted by them in the shop before I knew I was trans, so of course, when I started transitioning, I had to have them!

The only complaint I have about them is the usual one about female clothes - the pockets aren't big enough! - E
Started seriously questioning: 24 Aug 2019
Referred to GIC: 23 Sep 2019
Full-time female presentation since: 21 Oct 2019, unbroken since 12 Dec 2019
Official name change by deed poll: 11 Nov 2019
HRT: "kind of" started 15 Jul 2020
Most of my story is in the Just another mtf tale thread!
Twitch streamer MusicEllie

Offline RobynD

• Family
I've been self-employed for the last four years exclusively, with business ownership going back years before that. Nevertheless, I have faced discrimination from customers, suppliers, and business partners.

The fact that I expected it to a degree, did not fully cover the pain and general angst about the changes. Some of this came because of the circles of people I dealt with (conservative etc.) some of it came from general a general busy-body sort of attitude and gossip from "friends" and former coworkers.

Still, I continued on and have never stopped working independently. I dress pretty casually for most of work which does not put me in front of clients or in meetings very often. When I do have to dress it up, I go with a feminine power-suit or an oxford top and chinos, boots, and the like. Pretty standard business-wear for this geography and culture.

When I'm not dressing up, I'm often in jeans and T's and boots, leather jackets with dresses two to three times a week. In summer at times I will go to the office in shorts and sandals. I like my style a lot. My soon to be wife and I share each other's clothes a lot so that has pretty much doubled both of our wardrobes.

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
  • No act of kindness, however small, is wasted.
All of these ideas are well thought out and I appreciate all of your contributions to this thread so far.

:)

Chrissy
Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that your speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

Offline Maid Marion

The wide option of feminine clothing options allows a greater opportunity to make a strong impression.

Assuming you aren't so big or oddly shaped that you have few fashion choices.
If you are my size the options seem endless.

Marion

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
The wide option of feminine clothing options allows a greater opportunity to make a strong impression.

Assuming you aren't so big or oddly shaped that you have few fashion choices.
If you are my size the options seem endless.

Marion

We do have lots of choices:  in a lot of fabrics, colors, textures, styles, and prices.   :)

Chrissy
Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that your speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
One common piece of advice appears to be to dress up one level in professional attire as compared to your peers.  That sounds wise to me. :)

Chrissy

Tags: