Author Topic: Coming out in a workplace  (Read 294 times)

Offline RainbowBlaze

• Visitor
Coming out in a workplace
« on: May 19, 2020, 04:51:41 am »
Hi everyone, this is my first post here and I don't know if it's the right section to do it. I'm looking for some advices from people who came out in their workplaces as transsexuals. I'm a MtF planning to come out but I've been delaying this for a way too long time. I'm basically living 2 lives - socially and privately as a girl but then in my workplace as a guy. I have a feminine look anyways but I'm not sure how everyone would accept it and also don't even know where to start.

Considering our current situation - it's impossible to change job plus I'm classified as a key worker - so I'd appreciate any advice from people preferably living in UK that went through process like this. Should I speak with my manager first or go to HR? My workplace is like semi supportive (only in terms of people working here), so not really sure how to handle this situation properly.

I'll appreciate any answer

Sent from my Redmi K20 Pro using Tapatalk

Offline Rakel

• Formerly known as Dani
  • Rakel@susans.org
Re: Coming out in a workplace
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2020, 06:38:26 am »
Dear RainbowBlaze,

Here at Susan's Place, we have a whole subforum dedicated to the process of coming out in the open. I have moved your post to this subforum. Please feel free to look around and see how other people handled this event. You may find some sample letters of coming out announcements.

I also noticed that this is your first post and I would like to officially welcome you to Susan's Place. We are a support website for all people with gender identity issues. This site is moderated to keep the information you find here family friendly (as we have many underage members) and accurate.

We do have Terms of Service and other things here that are important for you to know. I have posted the links to this information below.

Again Welcome to Susan's Place.

Rakel

Things that you should read

Retired Pharmacist with over 40 years experience in Hospital and Retail Pharmacies.
I still keep my professional licence active and in good standing.

Offline Ellie_Arroway

• ellie_arroway@susans.org
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2020, 11:30:03 am »
@RainbowBlaze, welcome to Susan's Place!

I'm not a key worker but I do live in the UK. I spoke to the CTO first, then HR, then an advocate that I designated as advised to do by HR (though in my case there was no real need for that), then my team leader, and finally I came out to everybody else in a local meeting.

If you want more details, please look at my personal journey thread, which is linked in my forum signature.

Note that my workplace were fully supportive and I expected that that would be the case.

Hope this helps! - E
Started seriously questioning: 24 Aug 2019
Referred to GIC: 23 Sep 2019
Full-time female presentation since: 21 Oct 2019, unbroken since 12 Dec 2019
Official name change by deed poll: 11 Nov 2019
HRT: "kind of" started 15 Jul 2020
Most of my story is in the Just another mtf tale thread!
Twitch streamer MusicEllie

Offline Jessica_Rose

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2020, 12:31:00 pm »
Welcome to Susan's Place @RainbowBlaze !

I work at a large insurance company in the US, which I knew had a supportive environment. I told my manager first, and he contacted HR with my blessing. I know some people tell their co-workers long before they actually transition. In my case, since I had already completed a legal name change, I told my co-workers on a Friday and went to work as Jessica the following Monday. It took a while for everyone to get my name and pronouns right, but everything at work went very smoothly. I posted samples of several 'coming out' letters in my 'Rose Garden' thread, check my signature for the link.

I wish you the best of luck. Love always -- Jessica Rose
Journal - Jessica's Rose Garden
National Coming Out Day video - Coming Out
GCS - GCS and BA with Dr. Ley on 21 Feb 2019
GCS II and FFS - GCS II and FFS with Dr. Ley on 26 July 2019
FFS II - FFS II with Dr. Ley on 13 Oct 2020
23Mar2017 Started Estradiol / 16Feb2018 Full Time! / 21Feb2019 GCS / 26July2019 GCS II & FFS

Don't let others tell you who you are. Be yourself, the world will adjust.

Offline RainbowBlaze

• Visitor
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2020, 12:35:48 pm »
@RainbowBlaze, welcome to Susan's Place!

I'm not a key worker but I do live in the UK. I spoke to the CTO first, then HR, then an advocate that I designated as advised to do by HR (though in my case there was no real need for that), then my team leader, and finally I came out to everybody else in a local meeting.

If you want more details, please look at my personal journey thread, which is linked in my forum signature.

Note that my workplace were fully supportive and I expected that that would be the case.

Hope this helps! - E
Thank you for the answer, that's what I thought how it'd look like. Not really sure why did they ask to see advocate but HR seems to have their own ways always. Only question now is how supportive my workplace will be as it's a big wholesale company...

Sent from my Redmi K20 Pro using Tapatalk

Offline Ellie_Arroway

• ellie_arroway@susans.org
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2020, 03:45:10 pm »
Thank you for the answer, that's what I thought how it'd look like. Not really sure why did they ask to see advocate but HR seems to have their own ways always. Only question now is how supportive my workplace will be as it's a big wholesale company...

If you are an employee, as I was at the time, gender identity is a protected characteristic under the Equality Act 2010 and they are not allowed to discriminate. You can use the facilities appropriate to the gender that you identify as.

I don't know a lot more than that, though. - E
Started seriously questioning: 24 Aug 2019
Referred to GIC: 23 Sep 2019
Full-time female presentation since: 21 Oct 2019, unbroken since 12 Dec 2019
Official name change by deed poll: 11 Nov 2019
HRT: "kind of" started 15 Jul 2020
Most of my story is in the Just another mtf tale thread!
Twitch streamer MusicEllie

Tags: