Author Topic: Gardening and our new allotment  (Read 9399 times)

Offline ChrissyRyan

• Have a gentle manner ❤️
  • Family
  • No act of kindness, however small, is wasted.
Re: Gardening and our new allotment
« Reply #160 on: June 22, 2022, 12:29:43 pm »
Devlyn,

Is your garden organic, do you spray for bugs?

Why are some plants on the ground vs. in boxes or further elevated?

Are vining plants on the ground or on a trellis?

Do you rotate crops?

What goes into the boxes, does it differ than the ground level planting areas?

Do you till the ground each year?

Do people steal from the allotment?

Chrissy
Be a good example of good behavior.  Always be kinder than needed.  Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that you speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.  Serve others.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

I am a brown eyed brunette.

Offline Devlyn

• The Forum Administrator
  • devlynmarie@susans.org
« Reply #161 on: June 22, 2022, 02:22:07 pm »
Devlyn,

Is your garden organic, do you spray for bugs?

Not strictly. We haven't used any fertiliser other than compost, but we do use weedkiller around the edges of our plot.

Why are some plants on the ground vs. in boxes or further elevated?

We left the ground covered with weed membrane for the first two years and only put our crops in raised beds full of compost, there are no stones in the beds. This year we have pulled the fabric back to give the now weed free Bedfordshire soil a go. But it has a lot of clay and flint in it, and when it dries it gets extremely hard. I'm inclined to cover it back up and stick to our raised beds for food production.

Are vining plants on the ground or on a trellis?

We built a trellis with the remains of our polytunnel, which was destroyed by last winter's severe storms. We've planted six vining flowers along it, three on each end.

Do you rotate crops?

Yes, except for our rhubarb and various berries. The exception is the strawberries, we're training the runners into a fresh raised bed each summer.

What goes into the boxes, does it differ than the ground level planting areas?

This year we have wildflowers, carrots, green beans, runner beans, strawberries, raspberries, rhubarb and four varieties of tomatoes in the  raised beds. Ground crops are garlic, onions, potatoes, and peppers. The peppers are struggling. Again, I do not think we'll attempt growing in the clay again next year. It will take a lot of compost to lighten it up enough for most crops.

Do you till the ground each year?

No, but we did put manure in the bottom of some of the empty raised beds and put compost over that to grow in. The deeply buried manure is down there hopefully turning into nutritious garden soil.

Do people steal from the allotment?

Unfortunately, yes. People frequently show up to find their entire berry crops gone. This may be because it is common to plant the  berries as a hedge along the allotment roads. Ours are more central to our plot and so far we haven't had our crop pilfered.
Veteran, US Army

Offline ChrissyRyan

• Family
« Reply #162 on: June 22, 2022, 04:22:17 pm »
@Devlyn

Devlyn,

Thanks for the detailed reply.  I am contemplating making a bigger and better garden so I have been asking around how others have done the work.

What is the best way to make compost and how long does it take for it to become usable to add to an existing or new raised bed?  Does the compost pile have to have a particular depth to be effective?  Do you use a pitchfork and rotate the material or just let it go? 

I found some wild strawberries while hiking.  They have little yellow flowers and little berries.  You have to harvest a lot of them to have much to eat.  I do not know if the berries would get much bigger if left unpicked or if animals would eat them beforehand.

Chrissy
Be a good example of good behavior.  Always be kinder than needed.  Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that you speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.  Serve others.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

Offline Devlyn

• devlynmarie@susans.org
« Reply #163 on: June 23, 2022, 11:27:28 am »
You're looking to start a gardener's war, Chrissy!  :laugh:

There are countless ways to do compost. The rotating tumblers are supposed to finish compost in a couple of weeks. There's sheet composting. When I was growing up we just had a humus pile. Megan and I have a three bay system built out of pallets. So far our first compartment is just about full,  and it's probably 75% horse manure and bedding. We're going to fill the third compartment next and leave the centre compartment empty for turning the full ones into.
Veteran, US Army

Offline Maid Marion

« Reply #164 on: June 23, 2022, 11:33:34 am »
I grind up the fall leaves with a Flowtron leaf shredder.  Then I mix it with lawn clippings.  When it turns black I added it to my rose beds.  It is large enough that I can toss other stuff into it.

Marion

Offline Devlyn

• devlynmarie@susans.org
« Reply #165 on: June 25, 2022, 02:28:37 pm »
It's coming along nicely. I removed some of the outer dry leaves.

Veteran, US Army

Offline Devlyn

• devlynmarie@susans.org
« Reply #166 on: June 26, 2022, 01:57:57 pm »
Allium leaf miners are in our crops, we discovered some in the first lot of garlic we were processing. Due to this we decided to get the onions harvested (and the rest of the garlic). The presence of the leaf miners means that the onions and garlic won't store dry for the long term, so we're chopping the onions, peeling the garlic cloves, and  freezing it all.

Veteran, US Army

Offline Devlyn

• devlynmarie@susans.org
« Reply #167 on: June 27, 2022, 07:31:28 am »
A gallon of peeled garlic cloves ready for the freezer.

Veteran, US Army

Offline ChrissyRyan

• Family
« Reply #168 on: July 04, 2022, 04:46:50 am »
A gallon of peeled garlic cloves ready for the freezer.

Garlic is so good!  Nicely done @Devlyn

Chrissy

Offline Devlyn

• devlynmarie@susans.org
« Reply #169 on: July 21, 2022, 10:00:40 am »
I disturbed a wasp nest in the ground between our plot and the neighbour's this morning and got stung three times.
Veteran, US Army

Offline Northern Star Girl

• Previously Alaskan Danielle
  • northernstargirl@susans.org
« Reply #170 on: July 21, 2022, 10:21:58 am »
I disturbed a wasp nest in the ground between our plot and the neighbour's this morning and got stung three times.
@Devlyn
Dear Devlyn:
Not only is this the time of year for Wasps, Hornets, and all types of "stinging" Bees and
other Insects, but the HOT weather exacerbates the problem....
... the insects are busy getting ready and preparing for Autumn and Winter.

I hope that you did not have any serious health reactions to the Wasp stings.   
For me, if I get stung by just about any kind of a "Bee, Wasp, or Hornet" it usually results
in a trip for me to the clinic or hospital.   
I do carry around an emergency epinephrine autoinjector (EpiPen) and keep it close by
especially around this time of year or if I am out on a hike or camping.

Stay safe, stay healthy.... and be watchful and careful...
HUGS,
Danielle
***SEE MY LINKS BELOW
The Ramblings of a Northern*Star Girl
A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles
I am the HUNTED PREY: Danielle’s Chronicles
Things change re: ALASKAN DANIELLE
Positive Mindset... put away negativity

Started HRT:   March 2015
Went Full-Time    December 2016
Quit my male-mode job and relocated to a very small town in Alaska in January 2017
I'm a blonde, blue eyed woman, Age 42

Offline Devlyn

• devlynmarie@susans.org
« Reply #171 on: July 21, 2022, 10:46:17 am »
I headed home immediately after they got me just in case anything happened. I don't have a history of allergic reactions, but I didn't want to be alone at the allotments if there was a problem.
Veteran, US Army

Offline davina61

• The ramblings of an old dear
« Reply #172 on: July 21, 2022, 01:20:30 pm »
You cant be to careful , mum gave me some cherry toms, runner beans and some broad beans from her patch. Broads went in a curry tonight , a Jalfrezi.
a long time coming (out) HRT 12 2017

Jill of all trades mistress of non
Know a bit about everything but not enough to be clever.
I get pushed out of shape and its hard to steer when I get rubber in all 4 gears (Beach Boys ,little deuce coupe)

Offline ChrissyRyan

• Family
« Reply #173 on: July 21, 2022, 05:32:59 pm »

Ouch!

I was stung a half a dozen times last year when I uncovered a bees’ nest in the ground.  Some animal came that night and ate the honey there.

Chrissy

Tags: