Author Topic: Coronavirus: 'I’m scared of being buried as the wrong gender' *Trigger Warning*  (Read 247 times)

Online Ellie_Arroway

• ellie_arroway@susans.org
Coronavirus: 'I’m scared of being buried as the wrong gender'

*Trigger Warning*
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52690931

Ben Hunte, LGBT correspondent, BBC News, 17 May 2020

Article about various problems faced by the trans community in the UK during the Coronavirus epidemic.

Excerpt:

Lucy, 21, from the north-east of England is transgender and has severe heart issues. After years spent living as a woman, she says she has "no doubt" her parents would bury her as a man if she was to die from coronavirus.

"They'll shave my long hair, put me in a suit, use my birth name and call me 'he' all the way through the funeral. The thought of my family doing it makes me feel so sick, but I know they will."
Started seriously questioning: 24 Aug 2019
Referred to GIC: 23 Sep 2019
Full-time female presentation since: 21 Oct 2019, unbroken since 12 Dec 2019
Official name change by deed poll: 11 Nov 2019
HRT: probably sometime in the 22nd century...
Most of my story is in the Just another mtf tale thread!
Twitch streamer MusicEllie

Online Devlyn

• The Forum Administrator
  • devlynmarie@susans.org
This is easy to avoid. Have a legal name change and a will outlining your desires, designate someone to execute those wishes, and it's out of everyone else's hands. If a person wants to leave everything (including burial expenses) in the hands of people that they don't trust... well, that's on them.
Veteran, US Army

Offline SueNZ

This is easy to avoid. Have a legal name change and a will outlining your desires, designate someone to execute those wishes, and it's out of everyone else's hands. If a person wants to leave everything (including burial expenses) in the hands of people that they don't trust... well, that's on them.
Strong response Devlyn but exactly correct. We all have a choice and well before time we need to make that very clear in our wishes, including who administers then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Maid Marion

This may be a good time to remind everyone to make sure your investments and retirement accounts don't go to a hated Ex via the designated beneficiary provisions of the account. 

Offline jaysonderulo

• Visitor
i dont understand, unless you perceive gender as existing past death?
aren't we all genderless by then?

Online Ellie_Arroway

• ellie_arroway@susans.org
i dont understand, unless you perceive gender as existing past death?
aren't we all genderless by then?

Most of us have some idea about what we would like done with our bodies when we have died.

I can certainly understand somebody not wanting to be "detransitioned" after death by unaccepting relatives changing their expression back to their assigned at birth gender.

I would want to be remembered as I am, certainly. I don't believe I will ever face that problem, though. - E
Started seriously questioning: 24 Aug 2019
Referred to GIC: 23 Sep 2019
Full-time female presentation since: 21 Oct 2019, unbroken since 12 Dec 2019
Official name change by deed poll: 11 Nov 2019
HRT: probably sometime in the 22nd century...
Most of my story is in the Just another mtf tale thread!
Twitch streamer MusicEllie

Tags: