Author Topic: Superior laryngeal nerve paresis or SLNp  (Read 165 times)

Offline Gamergirl

Superior laryngeal nerve paresis or SLNp
« on: May 26, 2020, 09:06:42 am »
Hey everyone,

I spoke with my voice surgeon about a problem I have had since my tracheal shave in Thailand.  He suggested the problem I am having could be superior laryngeal nerve paresis.  I have had an inability to raise the pitch of my voice even as high as i could even before voice feminization with a male voice. 

Has anyone else heard of this , or of any solutions ?

My doctor said that it is not fixed with surgery, but rather intensive voice therapy from someone who has delt with this problem before. 

Thanks

Offline Rachel

• Family
Re: Superior laryngeal nerve paresis or SLNp
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2020, 05:14:09 pm »
Hello Gamergirl,

I am not a doctor.

You may want to have tests done to diagnose the doctors suspicion. There are several tests that can be done to help a doctor make a diagnosis. It could also be a shave that took too much material and may need to be corrected.

Testing is very expensive but all of mine were covered by insurance.

I had a battery of tests done prior to my first vocal surgery and had no nerve damage. One test sucked. Basically an electrode and anode are placed at different locations and a shock was administered. The resultant response is recorded. It was administered at several locations. I had a MRI with and without contrast, x-ray and two different scopes. One down my throat and one down my nose. All of this was before my first surgery which was a CTS. My pitch is 210 to 410 Hz after the glottoplasty (second surgery).
MTF in need of help link https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,133631.1980.html
MTF in need of help 2 link https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,251825.0.html
HRT  5-28-2013
FT   11-13-2015
FFS   9-16-2016 -Spiegel
GCS 11-15-2016 - McGinn
Hair Grafts 3-20-2017 - Cooley
Voice therapy start 3-2017 - Reene Blaker
Labiaplasty 5-15-2017 - McGinn
BA 7-12-2017 - McGinn
Hair grafts 9-25-2017 Dr.Cooley
Sataloff Cricothyroid subluxation and trachea shave12-11-2017
Dr. McGinn labiaplasty, hood repair, scar removal, graph repair and bottom of  vagina finished. urethra repositioned. 4-4-2018
Dr. Sataloff Glottoplasty 5-14-2018
Dr. McGinn vaginal in office procedure 10-22-2018
Dr. McGinn vaginal revision 2 4-3-2019 Bottom of vagina closed off, fat injected into the labia and urethra repositioned.

Offline jaysonderulo

• Visitor
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2020, 05:56:51 pm »
also looking for recs, thanks

Offline Gamergirl

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2020, 12:06:53 am »
It could also be a shave that took too much material and may need to be corrected.

That could be the problem. My surgeon in Thailand left very little adam apple. It actually looks very satisfying, but it was an unfortunate trade.

It would be nice if voice exercises were all it took to recover.  ::)

Offline Rakel

• Formerly known as Dani
  • Rakel@susans.org
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2020, 06:51:30 am »
Hey everyone,

I spoke with my voice surgeon about a problem I have had since my tracheal shave in Thailand.  He suggested the problem I am having could be superior laryngeal nerve paresis.  I have had an inability to raise the pitch of my voice even as high as i could even before voice feminization with a male voice. 

Has anyone else heard of this , or of any solutions ?

My doctor said that it is not fixed with surgery, but rather intensive voice therapy from someone who has delt with this problem before. 

Thanks

I think that your doctor is correct.

When I had my trache shave a few years ago, my surgeon told me that he could have made my trache smaller but that would risk damage to the vocal chords that would make my voice lower. My trache shave did not damage my vocal chords and my trache is not noticeable at all. I am very satisfied with my trache shave.

Once you have nerve damage, I am not aware of any surgical fix that will positively correct this situation. There are surgeries that shorten the vocal chords, but combining this procedure with the nerve damage you already have, may or may not be successful in raising your vocal pitch. I just don't know.

At this point, I think that your only viable and proven option is intensive voice training.

Tags: