Author Topic: Any MTG players?  (Read 1352 times)

Offline Lizzeh

Any MTG players?
« on: January 16, 2018, 04:02:52 pm »
I'm not much of a competitive player at least for standard, everything I tend to run costs too much or gets banned to quickly. But I do play it a lot in casual or other formats. Here's some decks I have up, they're not all updated tho

https://tappedout.net/users/Whorigami/mtg-decks/

Offline Caerabears

Re: Any MTG players?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2018, 12:51:58 pm »
🙈 i’ve invested a lot into MTG haha.. friend got me playing during Alpha and I’ve been hooked since then. I like to do the pre-release events myself 😊

Offline Danielle Kristina

• Friend
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2018, 12:17:23 am »
I used to play in the late 90’s.  I had some good cards too.  I wish I still had them.  I’d hate to think of how much those old cards would be worth today!  But in actuality I don’t want them back for their financial value.  I want them back because I absolutely adored my cards!  Now they exist only in my memory.

Offline SallyChoasAura

• Friend
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2018, 01:23:51 am »
No but I do play pokemon!

Offline DustKitten

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2018, 05:24:41 am »
I used to have a decent collection, and I got a planeswalker once, so of course that's the only card (that I know of) that I've ever lost. I suspect it may have been stolen by a friend. Never show off your expensive cards to other card collectors. :)

Offline Delilah.Rhyan

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2019, 11:45:28 pm »
I am very sorry to be a necromancer but I love MTG and play a lot.  If anyone plays on mtgo or arena I would love to play with them, it would be nice to represent as my true self while I play.  Because I am not out to anyone but my wife and therapist yet.

Offline Jessicajade

• Neighbor
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2019, 08:54:44 pm »
I've gone through phases in my life where I play Magic a lot then it'll like completely die off. Like 2 years ago I would play every couple weeks with a co-worker and some of their friends. We even did some booster drafting too. We didn't have enough money to keep buying new booster boxes each week so what we did was took the cards from boosters split them into their rarities and then made our own boosters (1 rare, 3 uncommon 11 common) out of them. Which that worked equally well too. Especially once we started mixing different sets in. So we had no idea what we were going to get.

Now I'm at another phase where I pretty much don't touch my magic cards. I know a few people who do play though. So maybe I'll contact them at some point and see if they want to get together and play sometime.

If I had to pick a favourite deck... it'd be a Black "kill magic" deck. Something full of spells and creatures that can just destroy opponent's creatures.
That or a Blue deck centred around countering. So much fun to have someone burn all their mana to drop a big/costly creature only to lose it to a cheap counter spell. (Like one of those ones where the opponent can pay 1 to avoid the negation, but because they're tapped out they can't... So cruel.)

Offline cawdor

• Visitor
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2019, 11:47:50 pm »
I started playing MtG during Ice Age / Homelands (boy, am I dating myself!). I was drawn in by a particular card, Balduvian Shaman, because the card art was lush, weirdly sensual, and beautiful (by the late, great Quinton Hoover). (Ironically enough, it's a famously pointless card and I nowadays barely ever play Blue.) I played passionately until Invasion, I got too wrapped up in the Weatherlight story and was heartbroken by it, ended up quitting because absolutely all of my favourite in-universe characters died.

Years and years and years later, one of my closest friend opened his own game shop (shout out to West End Games in Glasgow, everyone nearby, go visit, it's amazing -- and has both trans* employees and a lot of LGBTQ+ regulars, it's a very positive, welcoming, and amazing space), around the release of Eldritch Moon. I don't play any format other than Commander/EDH and the odd Pre-Release; I have too many other interests and hobbies to spend too much time and money on MtG, and I've never been a competitive player to begin with. The more social format of Commander and the more "let's just all get excited about the new release" format of Pre-Releases is where the fun lies for me.

My pride and joy is my Xenagos, God of Revels Commander deck (http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/the-return-of-king-stranger/), which is an extremely fluff-heavy, Theros-heavy (my favourite plane), enchantment-themed Red/Green deck -- anyone peeking in the Spirituality / Pagan parts of the forums will know I'm huge on Dionysus, and Xenagos got me there. He's my favourite MtG character, easily -- with Tibalt and Starke il-Vec sharing a fair second place. I'm currently working on building a Starke Commander deck (less fluff, more mechanical) and a Tibalt-by-Proxy Rakdos, the Showstopper Commander deck (much like Tibalt, it doesn't exist to win or accomplish much, just to slightly inconvenience other players and let a few devils come out and play). Eventually I'll probably also rebuild my sea serpent / leviathan tribal, but that one's kind of rough and has never won a game (yeah, ramping with Mono Blue? Not a picnic. Not even in Commander.). Attempts can be seen over here: http://tappedout.net/users/cawdor/mtg-decks/

I also maybe someday want to make a vampire tribal, but that's a long way off. I love vampires, but it seems too obvious a tribal deck to create.

I love how the mana colours correlate to personality types. I'm very Red at heart, all emotions and passion, with leanings into Green (I love nature and animals) and Black (because oh, do I ever love myself and coming out on top). I keep hoping for a return to Theros block, but I don't think it'll happen anytime soon. Also, major props to Wizards of the Coast for including LGBTQ+ characters in Magic despite complaints - including the explicitly canonical transwoman Alesha, Who Smiles at Death.

Offline Kate.claire

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2019, 01:13:34 am »
Well, you’re not that dated in my book.  I quit playing after Homelands.  Started playing pretty much when the game came out, when a friend showed up with two decks in college.  We treated them like regular playing cards and they were pretty beat up.  Didn’t know a mox would be anything valuable yet. Been going in and out of phases ever since.  Last serious pickup was the original Innistrad block... by then my son was old enough to play well and we ‘ve mostly hosted small booster draft tournaments at the house with a bunch of his buddies every once in a while when the urge strikes.  I do that to avoid obsessing over getting a collecting bug again and blowing cash on booster boxes chasing crazy deck builds.  Drafts force you to use cards you normally ignore.   We’ve also had a lot of fun building cubes to reinvigorate old sets.

Offline Pygmalion

• Friend
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2019, 05:24:18 pm »
Yes, a little.  Haven't really kept up with it for a while.  Still fun every now and again, though :)

Offline malady_cathryn

• Visitor
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2019, 11:41:38 pm »
Yes! I started playing back in Time Spiral, but I took a really long break after Alara. Recently got back into it again. Mostly just FNM drafts. I got a Liliana promo at the War of the Spark prerelease :3

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Offline jackiefox5585

• Neighbor
  • First makeup success
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2020, 02:38:32 am »
I realize this is an old one and may not get responded to. But I love MTG. I played when tempest came out. I mostly play commander
Peace is a lie
there is only passion
through Passion I gain strength
through Strength I gain power
Through power I gain victory
Through Victory my chains are broken
The force shall free me

Offline Julielynn

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2020, 07:14:22 am »
I used to play professionally (haha, no I'm not telling which one I was, there's still videos out there).  Slight clue, I did quite well at Grand Prixs and I was that SCG person who went 7-0 Drop at a 5k in Legacy.   Shocked a lot of people, but my ride was leaving because they didn't expect to do well and had to work the next morning.  Grrrr...   

I quit playing around Theros and only have some Commander decks left.  I started way back in the Legends days.  So I had all the power and even 9 Lotuses in my trade folder at one time.   I since sold them for much more than I paid so I'm good with not having them anymore.   I do still have some older items worth a ton just because the old commander decks had them.   

I recently played this New Year's eve at a party just for fun.   I realized, there's been so many things made since I played, I'm far, far behind now.  I'll probably just sell out the rest to pay for FFS anyway.  Hahaha

Offline jackiefox5585

• Neighbor
  • First makeup success
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2020, 05:56:46 pm »
I used to play professionally (haha, no I'm not telling which one I was, there's still videos out there).  Slight clue, I did quite well at Grand Prixs and I was that SCG person who went 7-0 Drop at a 5k in Legacy.   Shocked a lot of people, but my ride was leaving because they didn't expect to do well and had to work the next morning.  Grrrr...   

I quit playing around Theros and only have some Commander decks left.  I started way back in the Legends days.  So I had all the power and even 9 Lotuses in my trade folder at one time.   I since sold them for much more than I paid so I'm good with not having them anymore.   I do still have some older items worth a ton just because the old commander decks had them.   

I recently played this New Year's eve at a party just for fun.   I realized, there's been so many things made since I played, I'm far, far behind now.  I'll probably just sell out the rest to pay for FFS anyway.  Hahaha

shame. we need girls that play
Peace is a lie
there is only passion
through Passion I gain strength
through Strength I gain power
Through power I gain victory
Through Victory my chains are broken
The force shall free me

Offline ashley7

• Riot gal!
  • Neighbor
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2020, 11:18:08 am »
I love MtG, and this thread is motivating me to get back into it. I've been playing Hearthstone and the other online card games, but none are as social as MtG at your local store with local tournaments.