Author Topic: Can You Recommend Transgender Role Models?  (Read 907 times)

Offline Gertrude

• Trudie
  • Family
Re: Can You Recommend Transgender Role Models?
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2020, 08:03:43 am »
Sarah, I'm the same way. I once had a neighbor tell me that I look like a street person*, but I think I'm cute in my understated way. I wear olive and black and brown because I'm an earthy girl and cotton 99% of the time because I crave comfort.

*I was gardening that day, as I am nearly every warm day, and wearing my torn and stained gardening clothes.

I dress fairly non-descript in male mode and one could say street person. My female side is difference. For me it's more like rejecting the male side. I don't care about it. I haven't been FT to know how things would even out over time though. My guess is that at work, I would dress nicer than I do now, a lot and at home, it would depend on what was on the agenda. If I am doing hands on stuff, I wouldn't be dressed up or as femine, but if I am not, then it's different. I think it takes a little time to find your voice or style as it were.

Offline Gertrude

• Trudie
  • Family
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2020, 08:06:08 am »
Lynn Conway did it both ways.  She had a pretty horrible time getting hormones and srs and then when the folks at IBM found out lost her job and had to do grunt work software to pay the bills.  She did the whole meet Mr Right and have a house and a home and just did amazing things in Computer design.  And really just kept her head down about how it was that she was a women.  Well I think she saw some of the grief people were going through and remembered her own problems getting help to transition she came out in the public light and did a pretty extensive bunch of web pages that told her story and lifted up some of the women she knew that were successful women living in pretty normal lives.  Low on the drama.  This to me was where the fears of being the center of a freak show ended.  Its not.  As to medical and being raised the gender your wired?  It might just be me but my issue is a lot about physical dysphoria.  I guess this is why the medical options appeal to me.  My boy parts have always revolted me. 

Being a super fem runway model isin't really that appealing (Even if I could pull that off which... I can't)  I would be wildly happy to be more closer to the tomboy side.  Not too masculine but not too fem either.  Just kind of plain Jane.  :D

Lynn transitioned a long time ago too. Things have changed for the better since then and I think they will continue in spite of the current political climate. It just doesn't happen fast enough for my preferences.

Offline Oldandcreaky

• Family
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2020, 08:15:45 am »
I dress fairly non-descript in male mode and one could say street person. My female side is difference. For me it's more like rejecting the male side. I don't care about it. I haven't been FT to know how things would even out over time though. My guess is that at work, I would dress nicer than I do now, a lot and at home, it would depend on what was on the agenda. If I am doing hands on stuff, I wouldn't be dressed up or as femine, but if I am not, then it's different. I think it takes a little time to find your voice or style as it were.

Gertrude, when I went fulltime, I think I wore dresses for eight months straight simply because I finally could. Then, as you stated, I found my "voice and style as it were" and still is. I buy cute outdoor shorts that dry quickly and even have mesh pockets to accelerate drying and because I'm an outdoor girl, I'm at home in them.  Overtime, we all find what works for us.

Offline Gertrude

• Trudie
  • Family
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2020, 09:28:48 am »
Gertrude, when I went fulltime, I think I wore dresses for eight months straight simply because I finally could. Then, as you stated, I found my "voice and style as it were" and still is. I buy cute outdoor shorts that dry quickly and even have mesh pockets to accelerate drying and because I'm an outdoor girl, I'm at home in them.  Overtime, we all find what works for us.

I have a few skorts, one is from Columbia, Kohls and Lands End. The Columbia is really light weight and dry's quickly. The lands end is the nicest one though.

Offline Janes Groove

• Jane's Groove
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2020, 03:16:30 pm »
YouTube transition videos.

Offline Gertrude

• Trudie
  • Family
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2020, 01:28:05 pm »
Really, really read “The Secrets of my Life,” by Caitlyn Jenner.

Say what you will about her, other than having been an Olympic medalist, TV actor and pitch man, and reality star, her story reads like any of ours, replete with lots of stories of hotel cross dressing, hiding clothing stashes from wives and children, failed attempts at transition before society was ready, and coming out of the closet to family.

Carly

I could relate while reading it. Same with Jennifer Finney Boylan. Sarah McBride has a decent book too.

Online sarahc

• Sarah
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2020, 01:39:08 pm »
I’ll add another role model: Christine Hallquist, who was the woman who ran for governor of Vermont In 2018 (she won the Democratic primary, but lost in the general election). Before that, she was CEO of a small electric cooperative in the state.

Below is a great long story about her. Her running for governor (and winning the Democratic nomination) and her successful professional career were one of the things that encouraged me to transition myself.

https://www.haaretz.com/us-news/.premium.MAGAZINE-meet-christine-hallquist-who-may-become-first-trans-governor-1.6411518

Sarah
----
47 years young.
Known that I am trans since...forever.
First therapy session / decided to transition / hair removal: October 2018
HRT: January 2019 (journal https://www.susans.org/forums/index.phpVF/topic,244009.0.html)
VFS: September 2019; three-month report here
Full-time: April 2020
FFS: April August 2020 (assuming no more coronavirus-driven rescheduling... :-\)
SRS: January 2021

Offline Daylight

• Neighbor
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2020, 02:36:54 pm »
There are enough recommendations that I thought it'd be worth creating a list to summarize. If a mod wanted to copy and paste it to my first post in this thread as well, I would welcome that. It looks like I can't edit a post that old. I'm not including links because it looks like that is against the rules for newer members, but some posts in the thread include links to relevant sites, and information on all can be easily found by Google search.

• Charlie Martin - a race car driver with a YouTube channel discussing her transition
  • Jennifer Finney Boylan - author, activist, television personality, and college professor
  • Catelyn Jenner - a celebrity with the autobiography, "The Secrets of My Life"
  • Forum members here
  • Lili Elbe - a pioneer in sex reassignment surgery, she has an autobiography and a is the basis for the recent movie "The Danish Girl"
  • Christine Jorgenson - actress, entertainer, and a pioneering American in gender reassignment
  • Lyric posted a link to a blog filled with many stories of TG folks
  • Lynn Conway - describes herself on her website as a Computer Scientist, Electrical Engineer, Innovator, Systems Architect, Research Leader, Engineering Educator, Adventurer & Visioneer
  • Hunter Schafer - American fashion model, an actress playing Jules on the HBO series Euphoria, and LGBT rights activist
  • Sarah McBride - American transgender rights activist
  • Christine Hallquist - ran for governor of Vermont in 2018

Thank you everyone for your contributions!
39 years old and learning to be Megan :)

Offline JanePlain

• Living the dream.
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2020, 10:46:55 pm »
Lynn transitioned a long time ago too. Things have changed for the better since then and I think they will continue in spite of the current political climate. It just doesn't happen fast enough for my preferences.

Yes. I also agree about things not changing fast enough.  But as bad as we might think things are for trans people it was far far worse in her time.  Access to HRT is hugely improved.  There aren't all the multitude of gatekeepers.  No longer do we have to be diagnosed with a mental disorder.  *Because its not and its never really been one.  Of course trying to transition in Lynn's day probably could cause you to go crazy.
Its less likely that you will loose your job simply because your trans (I guess its still legal to disciminate in some places like Mich? and the Military)  The way they do SRS/GRS has improved.  The number of surgeons doing it has increased. We even have some surgeons who are trans doing surgery.  Maybe one thing thats stopped people transitioning is the cost and now we have some insurance companies that cover it in some of the procedures.  As this becomes more common its no big "news" of the weird like it was when I first heard about someone having a "gasp" Sex Change.

Two more names I think should be added to your role model list.  Dr Marci Bowers (The rockstar SRS/GRS surgeon) for helping bring being trans into the mainstream through her TV Series Sex Change Hospital, Guest staring on CSI, speaking out for trans people on talk shows, helping cis women in Africa who have had their genitals mutilated.  I just looked and see she has done parts in some movies as well. 

Another great role model is Dr Christine McGinn who offered free surgery when the Military Ban on surgery was announced.  I just found that she wrote part of "The Science of Orgasm"? Well..... THAT is on my must read list. 

Offline Gertrude

• Trudie
  • Family
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2020, 10:51:31 pm »
Yes. I also agree about things not changing fast enough.  But as bad as we might think things are for trans people it was far far worse in her time.  Access to HRT is hugely improved.  There aren't all the multitude of gatekeepers.  No longer do we have to be diagnosed with a mental disorder.  *Because its not and its never really been one.  Of course trying to transition in Lynn's day probably could cause you to go crazy.
Its less likely that you will loose your job simply because your trans (I guess its still legal to disciminate in some places like Mich? and the Military)  The way they do SRS/GRS has improved.  The number of surgeons doing it has increased. We even have some surgeons who are trans doing surgery.  Maybe one thing thats stopped people transitioning is the cost and now we have some insurance companies that cover it in some of the procedures.  As this becomes more common its no big "news" of the weird like it was when I first heard about someone having a "gasp" Sex Change.

Two more names I think should be added to your role model list.  Dr Marci Bowers (The rockstar SRS/GRS surgeon) for helping bring being trans into the mainstream through her TV Series Sex Change Hospital, Guest staring on CSI, speaking out for trans people on talk shows, helping cis women in Africa who have had their genitals mutilated.  I just looked and see she has done parts in some movies as well. 

Another great role model is Dr Christine McGinn who offered free surgery when the Military Ban on surgery was announced.  I just found that she wrote part of "The Science of Orgasm"? Well..... THAT is on my must read list.

There's also Dr Ley with Meltzer's group. Kendra went there.

Tags: