General Discussions > Nature and Pastimes

Hobbies.....

<< < (2/9) > >>

Maid Marion:
Repairing stuff is a great skill.  I used to do a lot of that, but since I paid off the house I realized that maybe I ought to just take stuff to the curb and let someone else deal with it.  ;)

I bought a sewing machine and learned to sew just before going to a mostly feminine wardrobe.  Now stuff fits me just fine off the rack so I don't have to sew as much.

Marion

big kim:
Bird watching, wildlife, visiting art galleries and museums, motorcycling, classic cars and bikes, music especially punk rock and metal

Mills:
Dear Reader

I need a hobby!

It has to be outdoor's, my wife and I like to hike and I like bikes, so it can't be anything like that, I don't like any team sports, or anything that involves moving a ball about on a bit of grass, I did try flying Rc gliders but can find no one willing to help there.

Also I live in the UK so gun's are right out.

I'm open to suggestions.

Mills

Oldandcreaky:
Like Maid Marion, I'm a gardener. My property is 1.8 acres and it's all cultivated. An acre of it is an arboretum, i.e. a collection of indigenous trees with a focus on diversity. There are dozens of varieties.

I've a small orchard, with black raspberries, purple raspberries, gold raspberries, pears, sweet and sour cherry trees, high bush blueberries, and high bush cherries. There are also raised beds for veggies.

I have Japanese-themed gardens that surround my house and they hold more than 90 Japanese maples, as well as hundreds of other plants and tree-to-tree moss in some areas, as well as fields of ferns.

I'm just finishing some rock gardens in front of my house and because rocks are central to a Japanese garden, I have boulders from pig-sized to as big as small cars throughout my property.

I own the 2.3 acre adjacent lot and am starting to thin it, to allow sunlight to reach the forest floor. When that happens, the magic begins.

I also feed birds and squirrels and everyday begins with critter watching. I have flocks of goldfinches and purple finches. I have woodpeckers and red and gray squirrels. Although many birders don't like them, I love my blue jays and crows too. I also adore my hummingbirds.

Oh, I also have a sugar bush, a grouping of 17 sugar maples I planted. I'll likely never live long enough to plant them, but I smile hoping that someone will someday.

I also like to hike and bike and paddle.

My prior garden was an English-themed garden and here's what I've learned from creating two gardens: Successful gardening comes from seeing your mistakes. Even a tiny lot is a murky mix of microclimates. So, you plant and wait and watch to see if you guessed correctly, siting a plant where it will thrive. You often don't, so then you replant and wait and watch. You also spend a lot of time simply watching where and when sunlight falls and take the time to learn when a plant prefers sunlight and for how long. Then you try to match the site with the plant, but remain ready to move it.

Devlyn:

--- Quote from: Mills on June 01, 2020, 04:20:19 am ---Dear Reader

I need a hobby!

It has to be outdoor's, my wife and I like to hike and I like bikes, so it can't be anything like that, I don't like any team sports, or anything that involves moving a ball about on a bit of grass, I did try flying Rc gliders but can find no one willing to help there.

Also I live in the UK so gun's are right out.

I'm open to suggestions.

Mills

--- End quote ---

Airguns aren't out. I had a sweet Crosman break barrel in .177 stateside, it shot up to 1200 feet per second depending on what you were putting through it, and I want to pick up something similar here.

My hobbies are gardening, winemaking, homemade bacon, homemade cheese, and geocaching.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version