Author Topic: Hobbies.....  (Read 516 times)

Offline WannaBgirl2

Hobbies.....
« on: May 31, 2020, 03:48:10 pm »
It might not sound girly... But I love to target shoot! Girls like to shoot too!!! LOL. I find it super relaxing... breathing, focusing, aiming... hitting the target.... It's very rewarding! Being outside, in general makes me happy.... I know it's not for everyone, so what does everyone do for day to day enjoyment??? Hiking, fishing, riding a motorcycle, wood working? What's your thing???

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Offline Maid Marion

Re: Hobbies.....
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2020, 03:55:01 pm »
I have a huge flower garden.  Something is blooming all season, from the daffodils in March to the roses in November.

Marion

Offline WannaBgirl2

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2020, 04:09:46 pm »
That's awesome!!! I planted a couple rose bushes last summer... I can't tell you what kind, but the pictures were pretty! They're still tiny... Gonna take a while before I can enjoy them...

Offline Dayle1957

• I am a girl, I have always been a girl
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2020, 04:41:16 pm »
Day in and day out, running is my thing.  Everything from easy 30 minute jogs to marathons to hard sprints on a  track.  One thing I always liked is that the lines are very blurred between what the men and women wear.  As such I usually wear women's running shorts which show off my shaved legs.

I used to be a rock climber but I still do a lot of backpacking and exploring.  Mostly in the desert.

If reading counts as a hobby that is my favorite indoor activity.

My partner is a big gardener and I spend a fair amount of time helping her.

I used to target shoot, back in the day.  It is fun for sure!

Online Confused1

• Non Binary
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2020, 05:01:07 pm »
Not much that would be classified as girly, but I am more of a non-binary. I love to ride my motorcycle with my wife, but a prostate surgery side effect from 2+ years ago now makes it just too uncomfortable. I like repairing and working all sorts of things, from electronics/electrical, automotive repair, and just being outside. I have a daughter with an electronics degree and girls work on cars, so I feel good.

Offline Maid Marion

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2020, 06:36:32 pm »
Repairing stuff is a great skill.  I used to do a lot of that, but since I paid off the house I realized that maybe I ought to just take stuff to the curb and let someone else deal with it.  ;)

I bought a sewing machine and learned to sew just before going to a mostly feminine wardrobe.  Now stuff fits me just fine off the rack so I don't have to sew as much.

Marion

Offline big kim

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2020, 03:31:34 am »
Bird watching, wildlife, visiting art galleries and museums, motorcycling, classic cars and bikes, music especially punk rock and metal

Offline Mills

• dOn'T pAnIc! when in a dress
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2020, 04:20:19 am »
Dear Reader

I need a hobby!

It has to be outdoor's, my wife and I like to hike and I like bikes, so it can't be anything like that, I don't like any team sports, or anything that involves moving a ball about on a bit of grass, I did try flying Rc gliders but can find no one willing to help there.

Also I live in the UK so gun's are right out.

I'm open to suggestions.

Mills
I'm Quiet, Shy and permanently confused, shout at me if you want!

Offline Oldandcreaky

• Family
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2020, 04:53:20 am »
Like Maid Marion, I'm a gardener. My property is 1.8 acres and it's all cultivated. An acre of it is an arboretum, i.e. a collection of indigenous trees with a focus on diversity. There are dozens of varieties.

I've a small orchard, with black raspberries, purple raspberries, gold raspberries, pears, sweet and sour cherry trees, high bush blueberries, and high bush cherries. There are also raised beds for veggies.

I have Japanese-themed gardens that surround my house and they hold more than 90 Japanese maples, as well as hundreds of other plants and tree-to-tree moss in some areas, as well as fields of ferns.

I'm just finishing some rock gardens in front of my house and because rocks are central to a Japanese garden, I have boulders from pig-sized to as big as small cars throughout my property.

I own the 2.3 acre adjacent lot and am starting to thin it, to allow sunlight to reach the forest floor. When that happens, the magic begins.

I also feed birds and squirrels and everyday begins with critter watching. I have flocks of goldfinches and purple finches. I have woodpeckers and red and gray squirrels. Although many birders don't like them, I love my blue jays and crows too. I also adore my hummingbirds.

Oh, I also have a sugar bush, a grouping of 17 sugar maples I planted. I'll likely never live long enough to plant them, but I smile hoping that someone will someday.

I also like to hike and bike and paddle.

My prior garden was an English-themed garden and here's what I've learned from creating two gardens: Successful gardening comes from seeing your mistakes. Even a tiny lot is a murky mix of microclimates. So, you plant and wait and watch to see if you guessed correctly, siting a plant where it will thrive. You often don't, so then you replant and wait and watch. You also spend a lot of time simply watching where and when sunlight falls and take the time to learn when a plant prefers sunlight and for how long. Then you try to match the site with the plant, but remain ready to move it.

Offline Devlyn

• The Forum Administrator
  • devlynmarie@susans.org
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2020, 05:02:23 am »
Dear Reader

I need a hobby!

It has to be outdoor's, my wife and I like to hike and I like bikes, so it can't be anything like that, I don't like any team sports, or anything that involves moving a ball about on a bit of grass, I did try flying Rc gliders but can find no one willing to help there.

Also I live in the UK so gun's are right out.

I'm open to suggestions.

Mills

Airguns aren't out. I had a sweet Crosman break barrel in .177 stateside, it shot up to 1200 feet per second depending on what you were putting through it, and I want to pick up something similar here.

My hobbies are gardening, winemaking, homemade bacon, homemade cheese, and geocaching.
Veteran, US Army

Offline Mills

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2020, 05:20:00 am »
Devlyn

I have an air rifle, I'm not a total pacifist!!, it's used to slaughter the rat's in my in-laws garden as they live next to a river and they overfeed the local wildlife which obviously attract rat's, It's just a bit taboo to wonder about with a gun in blighty unless you're rich.

I've had my air rifle years it's a Weihrauch HW77k, they're still made, very accurate, and would be ideal on your allotment. also I don't think 1,200fps is legal in britain unless you have a firearm's certificate, I don't know what the rifle is power wise but it's 5.6mm/.22 and it stops rats at thirty metres with flatheads.

How do you make bacon?, do you have pigs?, I do geocaching on bikes it's a "thing", should have said I'm thinking about getting an rc rock crawler, it's just that they need batteries, I don't want to be lugging a load of batteries about.

Mills

Offline CynthiaAnn

• like totally dig that pacific pulse....
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2020, 08:04:12 am »
Amateur Radio, music (playing and listening), hiking, bicycling, motorcycling, sewing, crafts, reading. Own a few rifles, used to target practice many years ago.
kindness is love nurturing your soul....

Offline Mills

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2020, 08:18:11 am »
Amateur Radio, music (playing and listening), hiking, bicycling, motorcycling, sewing, crafts, reading. Own a few rifles, used to target practice many years ago.
Hi CynthiaAnn

Thanks for your reply, the amateur radio and music are indoor hobbies and I do need to be out and about I'm like a caged animal if I'm indoors when I don't need to be, also I already listen to more than my fair share of music.

I already do hiking and bicycling, I also have a motorbike, well a scooter, her names Penny!, I do read but not much as it involves sitting around and doing nothing I do need to be busy, I have thought about crafts, well I'm thinking of learning to make clothes, my wife has offered to teach me to use a sewing machine etc this would be handy as I've always fancied making dresses.

I asked as I have no hobbies that help me relax, and I need to relax, but not fishing relax!, I tried bowls last Summer, but not my cup of tea.

Thanks

Mills

Offline Devlyn

• The Forum Administrator
  • devlynmarie@susans.org
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2020, 08:36:53 am »
Devlyn

I have an air rifle, I'm not a total pacifist!!, it's used to slaughter the rat's in my in-laws garden as they live next to a river and they overfeed the local wildlife which obviously attract rat's, It's just a bit taboo to wonder about with a gun in blighty unless you're rich.

I've had my air rifle years it's a Weihrauch HW77k, they're still made, very accurate, and would be ideal on your allotment. also I don't think 1,200fps is legal in britain unless you have a firearm's certificate, I don't know what the rifle is power wise but it's 5.6mm/.22 and it stops rats at thirty metres with flatheads.

How do you make bacon?, do you have pigs? I do geocaching on bikes it's a "thing", should have said I'm thinking about getting an rc rock crawler, it's just that they need batteries, I don't want to be lugging a load of batteries about.

Mills

No pigs. We buy pork bellies, brine them for a week (I'd give you our special recipe, but then
I'd have to kill you  ;) 8) ), then rinse, dry, and slow cook the bellies (We want to try smoking
them to step up our game). Then they're cooled in the fridge overnight and we slice it (thick)
the next day, ready for cooking.
Veteran, US Army

Offline CynthiaAnn

• like totally dig that pacific pulse....
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2020, 08:48:06 am »
Hi CynthiaAnn

Thanks for your reply, the amateur radio and music are indoor hobbies and I do need to be out and about I'm like a caged animal if I'm indoors when I don't need to be, also I already listen to more than my fair share of music.

I already do hiking and bicycling, I also have a motorbike, well a scooter, her names Penny!, I do read but not much as it involves sitting around and doing nothing I do need to be busy, I have thought about crafts, well I'm thinking of learning to make clothes, my wife has offered to teach me to use a sewing machine etc this would be handy as I've always fancied making dresses.

I asked as I have no hobbies that help me relax, and I need to relax, but not fishing relax!, I tried bowls last Summer, but not my cup of tea.

Thanks

Mills

Hi Mills, nice to meet you  :) and thanks for your reply, I'm at work at the moment, so I'll keep this brief. You mentioned music as being "indoors", and you are correct most of the time. Some of my best musical moments have been performing outdoors, like at festivals, or on stages out at the waterfront  :) Here is a quick pic from a stage we played on about 7 years ago up in the Cascades mountains, the sound that day alongside the trees and forest there was quite special, nothing like giggin' outdoors in the summer :) Or like when your hiking have some music going in your ears (bluetooth), and combine the two, that's a lot of fun...

Like your self I would like to sew more, and to make dresses, when I can devote the time to it  :)

Ok back to work now, have a great day !

C
kindness is love nurturing your soul....

Offline Mills

« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2020, 08:55:57 am »
No pigs. We buy pork bellies, brine them for a week (I'd give you our special recipe, but then
I'd have to kill you  ;) 8) ), then rinse, dry, and slow cook the bellies (We want to try smoking
them to step up our game). Then they're cooled in the fridge overnight and we slice it (thick)
the next day, ready for cooking.
I'd love to give that a whirl, no chance though shells a vegie!, we do cook chicken and lamb, but not often as the cat's go crazy, especially for chicken.

You'll have to make a smoking shed there's one on the allotment near us, you really need to smell the smells coming out of that, I once tried smoked cheese and black pudding from it when I rode past and got talking to the old guy's there it was incredible, hey Top Tip #1 they use straw for horses to make the smoke, but I just realised you probably already knew that.

On the hobby front I've just invested in a kite, and I'm thinking of getting another one that drops a teddy bear on a parachute when you pull a string.

Mills

Offline Mills

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2020, 08:58:44 am »
Hi Mills, nice to meet you  :) and thanks for your reply, I'm at work at the moment, so I'll keep this brief. You mentioned music as being "indoors", and you are correct most of the time. Some of my best musical moments have been performing outdoors, like at festivals, or on stages out at the waterfront  :) Here is a quick pic from a stage we played on about 7 years ago up in the Cascades mountains, the sound that day alongside the trees and forest there was quite special, nothing like giggin' outdoors in the summer :) Or like when your hiking have some music going in your ears (bluetooth), and combine the two, that's a lot of fun...

Like your self I would like to sew more, and to make dresses, when I can devote the time to it  :)

Ok back to work now, have a great day !

C

Ah you've just hit on one of my greatest regrets, I can't play an instrument, also tone deaf, I do enjoy concerts though and we go as often as we can.

Mills

Offline WannaBgirl2

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2020, 11:39:04 am »
I'm loving the feedback!!! Seems like gardens are the things to have! The Mrs has a good sized veggie and herb garden.... I "help", kinda like a five year old helps with the laundry!?!?! LOL
Not much of a green thumb... I put up the fence, frame a green house, I even made a solar dehydrator.... That's about where my talent ends...

Offline Rachel_Christina

• Family
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2020, 12:53:09 pm »
For me, although it's not girly, I love working on my car's.
Latest project, EF K swap

Offline davina61

• The ramblings of an old dear
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2020, 03:28:42 pm »
Making stuff, cooking, making clocks and things out of scrap/waste , building my hot rod and playing percussion.
a long time coming (out) HRT 12 2017

Jill of all trades mistress of non
Know a bit about everything but not enough to be clever

Tags: