Author Topic: Is FaceBook Outing Me?  (Read 1011 times)

Offline Laura1951

• Friend
Is FaceBook Outing Me?
« on: June 01, 2020, 11:26:28 pm »
I have two FB accounts, one for my male self and one for Laura. The Laura account was created with Laura’s email address and no contact info about my male self (phone number or alternate email address) is listed on the Laura FB account.

Within the FB newsfeed is a section called, “People you may know.” Yesterday, FB recommend to Laura several people who are friends on my male FB page. I’m horrified. Had I uploaded Laura’s picture on my Laura account, I assume that all of my male FB friends would find out about her.

I’ve reviewed all of the settings within Laura’s FB account and can find nothing that might be causing this, but now I’m more than a bit concerned.

Laura

Offline Battle Goddess

• Friend
Re: Is FaceBook Outing Me?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2020, 12:22:38 am »
Hey, Laura.

Yeah, pretty wild, isn't it?  :-\

Facebook has no agenda to Out anyone, or even to make anyone uncomfortable. Last thing FB wants to do is drive anyone away. They want to encourage more people to use FB and to stay logged in for longer because that's how they make their money. 'Nuff said.

What FB does want to do, for this is the heart and soul of FB's business model, is identify connections between people. And yes, Laura, irrespective of which of its many automated technologies made the connection, FB has connected you to your male alter ego.

FB will also rent knowledge of that connection to advertisers, political parties, and anyone else who uses its targeted communications capabilities. You'll find that advertisers will start showing you things that your male self has purchased because according to the data, you and that guy seem close.

It's not unlikely that FB has already begun suggesting to his friends that they should make friends with you. If you ever do put pictures of yourself online anywhere, facial-recognition technology (either FB's or somebody else's), will start tagging your photographs with your name and will cross-reference them with his and his friends' FB pages. Should you and your male side look anything alike, well, folks are apt to draw their own conclusions.

So... is FB Outing you? Not exactly. You aren't being treated any differently than anyone else. FB is just sharing information you willingly made available. You may not have expected them to share it that way, but they get to. It's all in the terms of service.

It's a fair deal. You want free Facebook, they want to maximize profits. Everybody wins. No?

Spironolactone January 10 2019
Divigel January 20 2019
Estradiol Valerate March 14 2019

Offline Jessica_K

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2020, 02:17:38 am »
I too have 2 FB accounts and although I am out to everyone I prefer not to have certain people access to Jessica’s page so for them I use block. It is my experience that blocking stops any suggestions and contact to that person. If you have thousands of friends on your male account it will be difficult.

Jessica xx

Offline AnonyMs

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2020, 04:42:12 am »
It’s very difficult to stop Facebook outing you. Safer not to use it if it matters.

Even if you use separate devices they can probably see the accounts are related as they share a connection to internet, eg the same wiki wifi router or similar. If you’re using the same device for both accounts it’s a lost cause.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 09:29:08 pm by AnonyMs »

Offline Mills

• dOn'T pAnIc! when in a dress
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2020, 05:52:38 am »
FaceBook is bad Mmkay!
I'm Quiet, Shy and permanently confused, shout at me if you want!

Offline Rakel

• Formerly known as Dani
  • Rakel@susans.org
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2020, 05:56:11 am »
FB outed me before I was ready to make my own announcement. If I could drop FB I would do it in a minute, but too many friends use FB extensively. I have all the privacy settings set to maximum now, but this was too late for me when I first started using FB.

Offline Mills

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2020, 05:58:48 am »
FB outed me before I was ready to make my own announcement. If I could drop FB I would do it in a minute, but too many friends use FB extensively. I have all the privacy settings set to maximum now, but this was too late for me when I first started using FB.

Wow Rakel

And you still use it.

Mills

Offline Devlyn

• The Forum Administrator
  • devlynmarie@susans.org
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2020, 06:06:25 am »
Hey, Laura.

Facebook has no agenda to Out anyone, or even to make anyone uncomfortable. Last thing FB wants to do is drive anyone away. They want to encourage more people to use FB and to stay logged in for longer because that's how they make their money. 'Nuff said.

What FB does want to do, for this is the heart and soul of FB's business model, is identify connections between people. And yes, Laura, irrespective of which of its many automated technologies made the connection, FB has connected you to your male alter ego.

FB will also rent knowledge of that connection to advertisers, political parties, and anyone else who uses its targeted communications capabilities. You'll find that advertisers will start showing you things that your male self has purchased because according to the data, you and that guy seem close.

It's not unlikely that FB has already begun suggesting to his friends that they should make friends with you. If you ever do put pictures of yourself online anywhere, facial-recognition technology (either FB's or somebody else's), will start tagging your photographs with your name and will cross-reference them with his and his friends' FB pages. Should you and your male side look anything alike, well, folks are apt to draw their own conclusions.

So... is FB Outing you? Not exactly. You aren't being treated any differently than anyone else. FB is just sharing information you willingly made available. You may not have expected them to share it that way, but they get to. It's all in the terms of service.

It's a fair deal. You want free Facebook, they want to maximize profits. Everybody wins. No?

Absolutely correct on all counts.

If you view a product or service online, or visit a store in person, you will likely start seeing ads for the products, services, and locations on your Facebook timeline. That's Google and your phone provider sharing data with Facebook.

Veteran, US Army

Offline Rakel

• Formerly known as Dani
  • Rakel@susans.org
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2020, 06:07:05 am »
Wow Rakel

And you still use it.

Mills

My friends use it and I have no choice in the matter.

If you search around in the settings area of FB, you may be able to find an option to limit viewing your FB page to people on your friends list.

This is what I did. I wish I had done this at the start.  :embarrassed:

Offline Allie Jayne

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2020, 06:45:24 am »
If both accounts use the same IP address (your internet account) FB will make the link. You would need to start two seperate accounts from different devices through different internet provider accounts, and then have different friends. I had two accounts running from my IP address and they were linked by FB, but I came out on my male FB account before I started my female account, and even posted the link to my new account so my friends could follow me.

Hugs,

Allie

Offline Ellie_Arroway

• ellie_arroway@susans.org
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2020, 06:48:19 am »
I use Facebook a fair bit, but with the following restrictions:

* I only use it on computers (no mobile devices that can track my location).
* I use a plugin called Facebook Container that prevents other sites from talking to Facebook about my visits. (It also means I can't like stuff that's on the net and I can't use OpenID with Facebook to identify myself, but I don't care about those.)
* I use uBlock Origin and AdBlocker Ultimate plugins.
* I use Firefox.
* If I make use of other Facebook properties, I impose the same restrictions on them, save for Whatsapp.

E
Started seriously questioning: 24 Aug 2019
Referred to GIC: 23 Sep 2019
Full-time female presentation since: 21 Oct 2019, unbroken since 12 Dec 2019
Official name change by deed poll: 11 Nov 2019
HRT: probably sometime in the 22nd century...
Most of my story is in the Just another mtf tale thread!
Twitch streamer MusicEllie

Offline Mills

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2020, 06:55:57 am »
Ellie

You're as paranoid as me, I use privacy badger as well you can never be too careful.

Mills

Offline Mills

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2020, 06:58:13 am »
Ellie

You're as paranoid as me, I use privacy badger as well as Ublock origin & Adblocker Ultimate, you can never be too careful.

Editing as it make's no sense!!

That's better!!

Mills

I must be stopped!! I quoted myself!

Offline Laura1951

• Friend
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2020, 07:23:17 am »
Hey, Laura.

@Battle Goddess

Well, this is depressing. Thank you for explaining.

Laura

Offline Laura1951

• Friend
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2020, 07:25:49 am »
It’s very difficult to stop Facebook outing you. Safer not to use it if it matters.

Even if you use separate devices they can probably see the accounts are related as they share a connection to internet, eg the same wiki router or similar. If you’re using the same device for both accounts it’s a lost cause.
@AnonyMs
I've been using my computer for both accounts and my phone when checking my male account. So glad I didn't post my picture on Laura's site.

Offline Laura1951

• Friend
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2020, 07:30:46 am »
@Rakel
@Devlyn

Well, this has been a revelation that FB can out us without our permission and to our horror. Sorry to hear that Rakel was outed and I guess I'm lucky that I hadn't posted my picture on my Laura account. Still, since you're moderators, perhaps it would be helpful to provide advice to new members about staying stealth if you have two FB accounts (or even to avoid having a FB account for their transitioning gender.)

Thanks for sharing.

Laura

Offline Devlyn

• The Forum Administrator
  • devlynmarie@susans.org
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2020, 07:40:38 am »
@Rakel
@Devlyn

Well, this has been a revelation that FB can out us without our permission and to our horror. Sorry to hear that Rakel was outed and I guess I'm lucky that I hadn't posted my picture on my Laura account. Still, since you're moderators, perhaps it would be helpful to provide advice to new members about staying stealth if you have two FB accounts (or even to avoid having a FB account for their transitioning gender.)

Thanks for sharing.

Laura

:police: While I understand your concerns, Facebook's Community Standards prohibit having more than one personal account. The Staff of this site are not going to condone or encourage breaking the rules of another site, just as we would expect other sites to neither condone or encourage breaking the rules of Susan's Place.  :police:

We now return to our regularly scheduled program.  :)
Veteran, US Army

Online Confused1

• Non Binary
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2020, 07:49:23 am »
I guess I'm wired a little more like Ellie. I only use a computer for FB. I have tape over the camera on my laptop. One suggestion might be to not post your picture on one of the accounts. People might notice a similarity of posting, but not make a connection to your face. We have way too many things watching us today. Seems like anything you say around your computer or phone goes directly to FB advertising!

Offline randim

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2020, 08:00:41 am »
If you're not prepared to be outed, I really wouldn't try a shadow account.  As has been noted, FB is quite good at figuring out who you are.  That's why I've never tried to set one up.  It's funny though, my posts here are public, I've got photos posted here.  My Twitter bio reflects my trans status, including a photo.  But almost none of people I know hang out on these platforms.  FB is the only platform that most of the people I know use. Coming out there will be open kimono for me.

Offline Laura1951

• Friend
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2020, 08:14:50 am »
:police: While I understand your concerns, Facebook's Community Standards prohibit having more than one personal account. The Staff of this site are not going to condone or encourage breaking the rules of another site, just as we would expect other sites to neither condone or encourage breaking the rules of Susan's Place.  :police:

We now return to our regularly scheduled program.  :)
@Devlyn

I get what you're saying about not wanting to condone breaking FB's rules. Still, I'd guess that many of us here DO have shadow accounts. Had I seen advice here on Susan's about the dangers of having a shadow account, that probably would have prevented me from creating one. Staying silent about the issue only leads to the possibility of being outed if we were to break FB's rules, as Rakel experienced.

Laura

Tags: