Author Topic: Is FaceBook Outing Me?  (Read 1707 times)

Offline Anastasia

• Friend
Re: Is FaceBook Outing Me?
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2020, 07:13:12 pm »
I set up a FB account for Anastasia, did nothing. I have a male account with a couple of friends, my wife(?) And 1 of 2 daughters (?) Never posted anything on either. But Anastasia's account recieved suggested friends of all my wife's friends, my coworkers, extended family and their friends. I dont know what my male account has on it as I haven't opened it in years. When I saw the list of friends on Anna's account, I realized I can't ever use it. Fortunately, I altered the spelling of the last name. Makes for some deniability.

FB isn't the only everyday spy. I was reading <not allowed> and there was a mention of a soccer game called the Disgrace of Gijon. I went to Google that. Typed in dis and it autocompleted grace of Gijon. Another instance: last week my wife called saying the water heater was leaking. Went to the local news station website to check the weather and I had ads from lowes and home depot adverstising-you guessed it- water heaters. Nothing you say or do on your phone is private.

I grew up waiting on the dystopia of "1984". Its here. It's  not the government with the information, it's fast acting business. And we gave them the info in exchange for...cheap mobile internet? Our privacy is gone. Forever(barring a stellar EMP that deep fries the internet and sets us back 50 years). I suspect that even Stealthy Surfing is leaving a footprint. I ought to open up my male FB account and see if I outed myself by trading my purchase history for free stuff at Sephora was a really bad idea!

Offline Kate.claire

« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2020, 04:10:15 am »
If you don't like FB outing you, you're not going to like what your iphone does with your information either...

I have two separate phone lines on completely separate accounts. My wife has both of my numbers listed separately and at some point, Apple asked her if she wanted to update the contact information for my male account with the information and image from my Kate account. There were a few subtle mistakes that I had made in setting things up that may have lead to it, and I never heard from anyone else, but... oops. I can live with being outed to people I have not been out to, but would rather do it on my terms than by ambush.

I took my images down from FB a few years ago after running into the friend suggestion issue and set harsher privacy limits.  I don't see too many cases of friend crossover now, but I also don't use FB very often, because my kids let me know it's "for old people", and I need to maintain my state of denial.

Offline barbie

• I change my avatar every week
« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2020, 07:05:38 am »
I use Facebook to let people know how I am getting along, as I live in an island, disconnected from the mainland. The merit of FB is that I do not need to repeatedly say about my recent news when I meet some people for a while. They already know it, and we can talk about any subject immediately.

I have observed that there are basically two kinds of FB users: 1) Exhibitionists and 2) Voyeurs or a.ka. ROM (read-only mode) people. I am a kind of exhibitionist. Some people, including me, click 'Like' to let the poster know that they have read the post.

If they do not click 'Like' or reply, I have no clue on how many people read my posts. I sometimes purge FB friends who seem to have been inactive for more than a year as they have not shown any response and have not posted their news or photos. Sometimes, those purged friends reach me again, sending a friend request. I say to them that they should be responsive to avoid such purges.

And I have met a few Pfishing FB accounts, assuming as my close friend, asking money or others. Those accounts are mostly hacked ones, as the original users have not logged in Facebook for a long time.

For this reason, I decline friend requests from Facebook users whose profile looks grey. But I sometimes accept the requests from my old friends or close acquaintances, even though their profile is nearly empty.

Variety of people in Facebook, but I am cautious about possible hacking or abuse of my transparent and open FB activities.

In addition, I always try to keep the number of FB friends below 1,000, as I can not manage it if it exceeds 1,000.

A snapshot of my Facebook profile photos.

barbie~~
Just do it.

Offline Virelai

« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2020, 07:49:24 am »
I have had a female FB account for seven years now. As far as I know, it hasn't really ever outed me, but I've also been extremely careful with what kind of profile pictures I use.

It has occasionally shown people from my male FB account, but I think that has died down in recent years. Mostly now I just see friends of friends from the female account.

Offline SoCal_Holly

• Multi-Pass
« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2020, 02:13:59 am »
Same with google

Offline anne_indy

• Friend
« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2020, 06:23:43 am »
This is now a relatively old thread, but do any of the IT geeks have insights on our video tools like Zoom? I sometimes meet with my therapist via a HIPAA compliant video tool, and have met with a support group led by my therapist via Zoom.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Offline Ellie_Arroway

• ellie_arroway@susans.org
« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2020, 11:36:11 am »
This is now a relatively old thread, but do any of the IT geeks have insights on our video tools like Zoom? I sometimes meet with my therapist via a HIPAA compliant video tool, and have met with a support group led by my therapist via Zoom.

To be honest, I would start a new thread for this... however, I haven't heard anything negative about Zoom; its business model is the freemium model rather than advertising, and medical professionals are using it for consultations, so I would say it's very likely to be safe.
Started seriously questioning: 24 Aug 2019
Referred to GIC: 23 Sep 2019
Full-time female presentation since: 21 Oct 2019, unbroken since 12 Dec 2019
Official name change by deed poll: 11 Nov 2019
HRT: "kind of" started 15 Jul 2020
Most of my story is in the Just another mtf tale thread!
Twitch streamer MusicEllie

Offline AnonyMs

« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2020, 02:50:06 pm »
Zoom has a terrible reputation for privacy and security. Just try searching for it.

Offline Laura1951

• Friend
« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2020, 03:05:37 pm »
Zoom has a terrible reputation for privacy and security. Just try searching for it.
Agreed. Zoom has been banned at the government level, Google, and school systems.
One New Life to Live (My personal blog)

Laura's HRT Journal     |     Laura's FFS Journey.   |  Stay or Go

Offline Ellie_Arroway

« Reply #49 on: July 26, 2020, 04:22:44 pm »
If you could cite some references, that would be great. I know that children's services in the UK use it and if there is an issue with it, I would like to draw their attention to that.

Offline AnonyMs

« Reply #50 on: July 26, 2020, 04:39:09 pm »
If you could cite some references, that would be great. I know that children's services in the UK use it and if there is an issue with it, I would like to draw their attention to that.

Try google, it’s very easy to find.

Offline Laura1951

• Friend
« Reply #51 on: July 26, 2020, 11:43:01 pm »
I'd like to post links, but I've been scolded in the past about not posting them. If you Google Zoom, Ban, you'll find who is banning zoom.

Laura
One New Life to Live (My personal blog)

Laura's HRT Journal     |     Laura's FFS Journey.   |  Stay or Go

Online Northern Star Girl

• Previously Alaskan Danielle
  • northernstargirl@susans.org
« Reply #52 on: July 27, 2020, 11:31:46 pm »
I'd like to post links, but I've been scolded in the past about not posting them. If you Google Zoom, Ban, you'll find who is banning zoom.

Laura

@Laura1951
Dear Laura:
You are very correct.....  I did a google search for "zoom ban" that reveled multiple hits.   
***The first hit that I got was  "Who has banned Zoom?"

NOTE: Laura: Per the Forums Rules, TOS#1, you can post outside LINKS
once you reach Family Rank of 500 posts. 

Here is a link to the Site Rules and Terms of Service so
you may read them here for complete details.  See TOS#1

Please keep posting and sharing.... you will be at Family Rank before you know it.

HUGS, and more HUGS
Danielle
***SEE MY LINKS BELOW
The Ramblings of a Northern*Star Girl
A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles
I am the HUNTED PREY: Danielle’s Chronicles
Things change re: ALASKAN DANIELLE
Positive Mindset... put away negativity

Started HRT:   March 2015
Went Full-Time    December 2016
Quit my male-mode job and relocated to a very small town in Alaska in January 2017
I'm a blonde, blue eyed woman, Age 40

Offline KateR

• Kate
« Reply #53 on: July 28, 2020, 11:39:19 am »
Zoom has its problems, but of the online meeting services, it’s been the most secure.

I started with zoom through my employer (IBM) 5 years ago.   I’ve never had a problem with it.  I will continue to use it until someone betters them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kate

Offline JoJoWolfe

• Visitor
« Reply #54 on: July 28, 2020, 11:45:43 am »
I was also horrified at FB ‘outing’ me. I wanted to use Messenger and it kept nagging to set up an FB account. I immediately changed my ‘public’ name, used a caricature as a profile picture and set my home town as 150 miles away. When the time is right for Joni to ‘come out’ in 9 months then I will reset everything.
Phew .. I hope I got away with it.

Online Pammie

« Reply #55 on: July 28, 2020, 01:39:02 pm »
Zoom has its problems, but of the online meeting services, it’s been the most secure.

I started with zoom through my employer (IBM) 5 years ago.   I’ve never had a problem with it.  I will continue to use it until someone betters them.

I think zoom has recognised security issues. We use MS-Teams which is a better and more secure product IMHO

Offline KateR

• Kate
Is FaceBook Outing Me?
« Reply #56 on: July 29, 2020, 12:37:55 am »

Going back to the original purpose of this thread, Facebook I not consciously thinking about it, but given the opportunity their software will ‘out’ you.

October of 2019, I shut down and asked them to delete my ‘back in the day’ profile.  Looking at my posts there was a lot of anger there.

February of this year, I created a new profile for who I am now.   The only links to match up would be 1) possibly an Internet address from where I logged in from, AND 2) my phone number.

All the sudden all my suggested friends were friends from back in the day when I was a father and working....   (Obviously they didn’t delete everything related to me!!!!)

Facebook is bad but the real one to watch out for is Microsoft.  They own LinkedIn now.  I changed my Microsoft profile, but LinkedIn was probably the last thing I was going to change.   Well they changed my LinkedIn and left the ‘back in the day’ picture up.

Talk about being outed!  Ugh!!!!

Kate

Offline Ellie_Arroway

« Reply #57 on: July 29, 2020, 03:57:39 pm »
Try google, it’s very easy to find.

OK, the stuff I'm aware of from Google relates to unsecured meetings.

If meetings are secured with a password, I believe the situation changes. Also they introduced a lobby feature.

I don't believe I have anything to raise with children's services. I am satisfied that Zoom is a secure platform when used properly.

Tags: