Author Topic: Comfortable, regular underpants.  (Read 761 times)

Offline Ellie_Arroway

• ellie_arroway@susans.org
Comfortable, regular underpants.
« on: June 03, 2020, 04:57:17 am »
Hello,

I'm starting this thread to find out what trans people use for underpants. I am trying to use the term underpants because it is unambiguous; panties is a US English term, knickers is a UK English term, and the word "pants" means underpants in the UK and trousers in the US.

I'm a woman who has not had GCS, so I have a penis and scrotum. I have found it extremely difficult to find underpants that are good enough to hold my penis and scrotum in place and are supportive of those. Of course, they are not designed to do this.

I am also years away from getting GCS if I decide to do so.

So what I would like to find out is what similar people have found works for them.

I will volunteer that I have found a high waist pair of underpants in Asda that are slightly wider than usual in the crotch area, and whilst they don't do a perfect job, it's not absolutely terrible. However, they have lacy panels and trim, and I would rather have something a bit plainer. (Lacy garments are delicates and I would have to wash them separately.)

I'm not averse to wearing men's underpants, but I would like to find a style that's good looking. I do sometimes still wear men's underpants out of necessity.

I don't really want to be faced with paying a premium for special trans-woman underwear given that I need ideally at least a week's worth of underwear, and being a trans woman has already cost me a fortune! Besides, eventually I currently plan to have GCS, and then this issue will go away for me.

I will also throw this thread open to pre-GCS AFAB FTMs who have the problem of not having a penis but wishing to use men's underwear and hold packers or STPs in place.

I recognise that other threads may have dealt with this issue already, but fashion moves very quickly, so I think it's a good time to revisit this discussion.

Thanks! - E
Started seriously questioning: 24 Aug 2019
Referred to GIC: 23 Sep 2019
Full-time female presentation since: 21 Oct 2019, unbroken since 12 Dec 2019
Official name change by deed poll: 11 Nov 2019
HRT: "kind of" started 15 Jul 2020
Most of my story is in the Just another mtf tale thread!
Twitch streamer MusicEllie

Offline Rakel

• Formerly known as Dani
  • Rakel@susans.org
Re: Comfortable, regular underpants.
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2020, 05:22:25 am »
I have not worn men's underwear for over 4 years now. It seems like it never happened at all. When I was pre-op, underwear was a big part of my life. Today, I could not care less. If the clothes fit, wear it.

I guess, it depends on what you want from your underwear. Is comfort your main concern or is gender confirming clothing primary?

My pre-op preferences were for comfort above all else. I just wore everyday men's wear until things began to "show" due to HRT. Then I adopted an androgynous style for outer wear. For the underwear, I kept with my older under clothing until after I healed from GCS. I wore a lot of padding right after GCS and sometimes I had some leakage. After I healed reasonably well, I just bought normal female cotton panties. I have some nylon panties, but here in Florida, cotton is much more comfortable.

Obviously, comfort and fit are my priorities. Other people may have a different perspective.

Offline Ellie_Arroway

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2020, 05:34:03 am »
I guess, it depends on what you want from your underwear. Is comfort your main concern or is gender confirming clothing primary?

For me, there's a balance. I want to be comfortable and I would appreciate underpants with a more feminine style, but not that awful fetish stuff you see around.

I haven't learnt how to tuck. If people say that's the solution, that's fine. I would do it sometimes.

I don't have a problem wearing men's underpants but it does seem a bit strange when everything else I wear is nearly always womenswear now (which usually fits me better - what an odd body I have!). - E

Online Devlyn

• The Forum Administrator
  • devlynmarie@susans.org
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2020, 06:10:05 am »
As a recent arrival to the UK, the pants/knickers thing is new to me. It does seem that pants for boys and panties for girls should show up side by side in the language. Not sure what happened there. I have the nagging feeling that it has something to do with chests of tea landing in a harbour somewhere... :laugh:

I switched to "underdressing" in panties while still presenting male, and never tucked. Before I had my orchiectomy, there was always something falling/squeezing out of where it belonged. After the orchiectomy, the penis just stays where it belongs in the panties...er, knickers.  ;D
Veteran, US Army

Online Meghan

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2020, 06:11:30 am »
I no longer has men underwear

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Meghan Pham: MtF Transgender, Transsexual, Transwoman, social justice, Caregivers, Certified Nurse Assistant

Offline randim

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2020, 08:13:59 am »
I switched to panties about six months ago.  I don't do frills much it seems, though I reserve the right.  My gotos seem to be stuff like this:

https://www.barenecessities.com/product.aspx?pfid=Bali803J&cm_mmc=GLPA_NonBrand-_-Panty-_-Bali1-_-Bali803J&BillboardPopupEnabled=false&BorderfreeEnabled=False&color=Greenhouse%20Lavender&amsk=4k3rfh4a9w&cmp=p2&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIu93Dqtzl6QIVVAiICR1KBAveEAYYBCABEgJy5_D_BwE

And I hope posting the link isn't breaking the rules.  I don't think it is.

Anyhoo, I find styles like this quite practical and comfortable.  Bonus: A lot of the Bali styles have a wide gusset that aids in tucking if that's a factor for you.

One other thing.  If you're sizing, go by your hip measurement, not your waist.

Offline madeleine

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2020, 12:22:04 pm »
I stopped wearing men's underwear on the day I moved into my new apartment and have not worn them since.  I literally bought some on my first shopping trip for the apartment, along with spatulas and dish towels.  Buying panties was in a store was probably the first thing trans I did out in public.

I wear only 100% cotton panties and they have to be bikini cut and they have to have some kind of color.

All of this was non-negotiable, instant for me, boom!

Offline Ellie_Arroway

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2020, 12:35:46 pm »
I stopped wearing men's underwear on the day I moved into my new apartment and have not worn them since.  I literally bought some on my first shopping trip for the apartment, along with spatulas and dish towels.  Buying panties was in a store was probably the first thing trans I did out in public.

I wear only 100% cotton panties and they have to be bikini cut and they have to have some kind of color.

All of this was non-negotiable, instant for me, boom!

How comfortable are they? Are they supportive, or do you have bits spilling out?

I'm kind of in the same position as Devlyn, however I still have and use the ugly male ones from time to time, depending on what I'm up to. I don't think I could cope with having my penis squished all day, every day! - E

Offline Ellie_Arroway

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2020, 12:40:05 pm »
Has anyone any experience of GI Collection underpants?

They are expensive compared with ciswomen's, but for something custom, I would be prepared to go for two or three of those; they would not be used for everyday wear. Sometimes I wear clothes that do not require me to change the way I look between my legs, of course. They also seem to be cheaper than any other custom transgender brands, and I like the fact that they provide a free "talk to someone" service.

I also have found a 30% off coupon code. I don't know whether it is currently functional and I have a feeling it doubles as someone's affiliate code, so I'm not going to share that; just know that it's around. - E

Offline Jessica_K

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2020, 02:16:28 am »
I think I have been lucky with my transition. I have not had any surgery but never had much in the wedding tackle area, and what I had has shrunk more with HRT. I can tuck without any support other than my panties. I use semi briefs from M&S, very comfortably and as they have quite a bit of side support and have no problems with them, even better now I have gained a bit of shape. And they are cheap.

Jessica xx

Offline Ellie_Arroway

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2020, 02:34:59 am »
Thanks, Jessica. I will look those up.

GI Collection. I did decide to make a purchase with them to try some of what they offer. They are expensive, but they are designed by trans women for trans women. I figured that they are basically lingerie-class knickers, and if I was a ciswoman and went into a shop like La Senza, I would probably be paying more than that. I paid 52 pounds for three pairs. Even if they're really good, I won't be buying a lot of them at that price!

I did a search for wide gusset underwear. That was enlightening. There are a few threads by ciswomen about how knickers have got shallower in the crotch area over the years and their pads no longer fit, and I think I saw M&S mentioned as one of the brands that does have a bit more area; M&S full briefs were mentioned. Also John Lewis/Waitrose. So I can try those brands, because I still need to find everyday wear that's comfortable and supportive.

Thanks! - E

Offline Mills

• dOn'T pAnIc! when in a dress
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2020, 03:36:30 am »
Ellie

How did I miss this?

Try the M&S cotton rich full brief in their "shaping" range, the only time I don't wear them is when I ride a bike, they're super comfy, I didn't start wearing these because they're girls underwear - they're super boring! I was told about them after I had a groin injury and I needed a bit of support, they're excellent, there's also a polyester version I didn't like those, they're a bit "sweaty".

Mills
I'm Quiet, Shy and permanently confused, shout at me if you want!

Offline Ellie_Arroway

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2020, 04:15:13 am »
Thank you, Mills!

Looks like M&S is the way to go. :)

Offline Mills

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2020, 04:27:35 am »
Thank you, Mills!

Looks like M&S is the way to go. :)

You bet, They're only doing "click and collect" in our local one (Llantrisant) at the moment.

Mills

Offline Ellie_Arroway

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2020, 04:38:44 am »
You bet, They're only doing "click and collect" in our local one (Llantrisant) at the moment.

Mills

I didn't realise you were that close to where I live!

Culverhouse Cross is slightly closer than Llantrisant for me. Cardiff town is closer, of course, but I don't like going there except on public transport, and I'm not gonna do that right now for obvious reasons.

There's a more local one but it's a food one; not sure if it does clothing.

When the situation improves, I'd love to meet you sometime if you're interested! - E

Offline Mills

« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2020, 04:50:05 am »
Ellie

Yeah meet up for sure, be nice to hang out with one of the metropolitan elite.

Mills

Online Meghan

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2020, 04:57:07 am »
Last Monday I was in the Hospital for Cataract surgery with nice panties on while under hospital gown for procedures, and no one bat an eye

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Meghan Pham: MtF Transgender, Transsexual, Transwoman, social justice, Caregivers, Certified Nurse Assistant

Offline Ellie_Arroway

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2020, 05:13:27 am »
Yeah meet up for sure, be nice to hang out with one of the metropolitan elite.

I've been accused of many things before, but that's a new one!  :D

Offline Mills

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2020, 05:32:33 am »
Lol

You can have your online order delivered to your local M&S for ease & convenience, and those knickers are true to your size, there's a size chart somewhere.

Mills

Offline Ellie_Arroway

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2020, 08:42:52 am »
Last Monday I was in the Hospital for Cataract surgery with nice panties on while under hospital gown for procedures, and no one bat an eye

I hope it went well for you, Meghan.

It's not about people batting an eye. It's about my desire to find basic women's underwear that fits comfortably. Thanks - E

Tags: