Author Topic: Daniel Radcliffe Responds to J.K. Rowling’s Tweets on Gender Identity  (Read 1316 times)

Offline Devlyn

• The Forum Administrator
  • devlynmarie@susans.org
Daniel Radcliffe Responds to J.K. Rowling’s Tweets on Gender Identity

https://www.thetrevorproject.org/2020/06/08/daniel-radcliffe-responds-to-j-k-rowlings-tweets-on-gender-identity/

The Trevor Project/Added by Daniel Radcliffe on June 8, 2020

"Transgender women are women. Any statement to the contrary erases the identity and dignity of transgender people and goes against all advice given by professional health care associations who have far more expertise on this subject matter than either Jo or I. According to The Trevor Project, 78% of transgender and nonbinary youth reported being the subject of discrimination due to their gender identity. It’s clear that we need to do more to support transgender and nonbinary people, not invalidate their identities, and not cause further harm."

***************************************************************************************************

I shared this article on my Facebook feed with the comment:

"You're a wizard, Daniel."  :)
Veteran, US Army

Offline Devlyn

• devlynmarie@susans.org
I enjoyed the Harry Potter books and then the movies, as well as the subsequent works. It has been far less enjoyable seeing J.K. Rowling perform on Twitter. It's refreshing to see Daniel make this statement.
Veteran, US Army

Offline Ellie_Arroway

• ellie_arroway@susans.org
I saw an article on BBC News that shared this story.

I'm really pleased that JK Rowling "loves" us. I'd hate to know what she would post if she hated us!

Unlike I suspect most people, she doesn't get it.

I don't mind the films. Couldn't get into the books.

Super kudos to Daniel Radcliffe!
Started seriously questioning: 24 Aug 2019
Referred to GIC: 23 Sep 2019
Full-time female presentation since: 21 Oct 2019, unbroken since 12 Dec 2019
Official name change by deed poll: 11 Nov 2019
HRT: "kind of" started 15 Jul 2020
Most of my story is in the Just another mtf tale thread!
Twitch streamer MusicEllie

Offline itsApril

Rowling's Harry Potter novels started to appear when I was a mid to late teenager, continuing on into my mid twenties.  I read them all.

One of the things that most appealed to me (especially in the earliest books) was that Rowling seemed to really understand what it feels like to a child to be different from everybody else, misunderstood, and unloved.  And she understood what it was like to have to live a double life, concealing important aspects of our selves from a surrounding "muggle" society that doesn't have a clue.

Different?  Misunderstood?  Living a life of secrets?  That's US, my friends!  Isn't that the life story of trans youth?

It amazes me that if Rowling had that level of sensitivity back in the 1990s that she has become so IN-sensitive now.  It feels like being stabbed in the back by a person you thought was a friend.

I'm very grateful for Daniel Radcliffe's gracious words in separating himself gently from what Rowling has morphed into.
-April

Offline zirconia

I don't get it. What's this about?
Who is Daniel Radcliffe? And what is his definition of woman?

Online Megan.

• Homepage & Blog
I don't get why you posted this, if you don't know who he is.

He is YOUR ally and one of the communities', and his definition is irrelevant as he respects yours even if you don't respect his.

Sent from my MI 9 using Tapatalk

"Life is a travelling to the edge of knowledge, then a leap taken." - D. H. Lawrence

Offline zirconia

I don't get why you posted this, if you don't know who he is.

He is YOUR ally and one of the communities', and his definition is irrelevant as he respects yours even if you don't respect his.

Hi, Megan

I posted because I don't know what this is about, who Daniel Radcliffe is, nor what he defines a woman to be.

Thank you for letting me know he's my ally. I'm glad he is, and that he respects my definition. I'm afraid I'm not sure why you believe I may not respect his, though, as I don't know what it is.

Online Megan.

• Homepage & Blog
I posted because I don't know what this is about, who Daniel Radcliffe is, nor what he defines a woman to be.

Thank you for letting me know he's my ally. I'm glad. I'm afraid I'm not sure why you believe I may not respect his definition, though, as I don't know what it is.

Check out the article that was linked to by the OP and see if that helps

"Life is a travelling to the edge of knowledge, then a leap taken." - D. H. Lawrence

Offline Ellie_Arroway

J.K.Rowling is the author of the famous Harry Potter books. She has recently sent tweets that some people, including me, consider to be transphobic. (My personal view and not necessarily the view of Susans.org itself.)

Daniel Radcliffe is the actor who played Harry Potter in the Harry Potter films. - E

Offline zirconia

Check out the article that was linked to by the OP and see if that helps

OK... So:

He realizes some think of whatever it may be that is happening as infighting between him and J.K. Rowling.
He declares that J.K. Rowling is responsible for the course his life's taken.
He believes transgender women to be women.
He feels he and others need to do more to support transgender and non binary people.
He thinks some people feel that some comments have tarnished books.
And he hopes those comments haven't tainted by too much whatever in those books those people have felt valuable.

I guess I'm none the wiser... but thanks anyway.  :)

Offline zirconia

J.K.Rowling is the author of the famous Harry Potter books. She has recently sent tweets that some people, including me, consider to be transphobic. (My personal view and not necessarily the view of Susans.org itself.)

Daniel Radcliffe is the actor who played Harry Potter in the Harry Potter films. - E

Thanks for the explanation. :D

Offline Devlyn

• devlynmarie@susans.org
More:

Emma Watson, Daniel Radcliffe, Sarah Paulson and More Condemn J.K. Rowling’s Anti-Trans Tweets

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/emma-watson-daniel-radcliffe-sarah-paulson-condemn-jk-rowling-anti-trans-tweets-1234630870/amp/

Variety/Added by Ellise Shafer June 11, 2020

"Following “Harry Potter” author J.K. Rowling’s anti-trans tweets earlier this week – and her further defense of her comments in a 3,600 word essay – alums of the incredibly successful film franchise as well as other celebrities have publicly spoken out against the British writer.

Most recently, Emma Watson, who played Hermione Granger in the series, tweeted a short statement regarding her views on transgender rights. “Trans people are who they say they are and deserve to live their lives without being constantly questioned or told they aren’t who they say they are,” Watson wrote."

*************************************************************************************

Emma Watson, Eddie Redmayne, Katie Leung, Evanna Lynch, and others have joined ranks to support our community and our rights.  :)
Veteran, US Army

Offline Ellie_Arroway

@Devlyn, thank you for sharing that article.

Maybe Rowling has done us a favour in a way! - E

Offline Devlyn

• devlynmarie@susans.org
Ginny Weasley declares ‘trans women are women’ as Harry Potter actor Bonnie Wright joins fierce backlash against JK Rowling

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2020/06/11/bonnie-wright-ginny-weasley-jk-rowling-trans-rights-harry-potter-transphobia/

PinkNews/Added by Patrick Kelleher June 11, 2020

"Harry Potter actor Bonnie Wright is the latest of the franchise’s stars to defend trans people after JK Rowling made her latest ‘gender critical’ tirade.

Wright, who played Ginny Weasley in the film series, ended days of silence on the subject last night with a simple but effective tweet."

"If Harry Potter was a source of love and belonging for you, that love is infinite and there to take without judgment or question.
Trans women are Women. I see and love you, Bonnie x.
"

************************************************************************************

Perhaps seeing that virtually no one who worked with her supports her, will convince Rowling to reconsider her statements.

Veteran, US Army

Offline Devlyn

• devlynmarie@susans.org
Rupert Grint ‘stands with trans community’ as he shares statement following JK Rowling backlash

https://www.google.com/amp/s/metro.co.uk/2020/06/12/rupert-grint-trans-statement-following-jk-rowling-backlash-12842044/amp/

Metro/Added by Mel Evans June 12,  2020

Harry Potter star Rupert Grint has shared a statement supporting trans rights, following intense backlash to JK Rowling following her thoughts on the matter.

"I firmly stand with the trans community and echo the sentiments expressed by many of my peers.

‘Trans women are women. Trans men are men.

‘We should all be entitled to live with love and without judgment.
"

***************************************************************************************

The support from the cast keeps rolling in.  :)

Veteran, US Army

Offline Stevie

• I think I'm a verb
  I do appreciate Radcliff, Watson, and the others being supportive of us, but I believe its not going to effect a great deal of change in peoples attitudes toward us.  That is going to to take more than just saying trans women are women at a certain point that just becomes platitudes. 
 Have the people saying they are our allies ever dated had a relationship with one of us openly in public? Because that is what it is going to take to further the acceptance of trans lives.
Steph

Offline Erika_

• Friend
I've always hated harry potter, the books and the movies.

But this is a good thing, and I hope more celebrities that I've never heard of come over to the trans rights side.

Offline Sephirah

Proof that money doesn't buy you wisdom.

Good on Daniel.

Offline Ellie_Arroway

My position on what J.K. Rowling is saying is as follows:

1. Nobody should ever suffer abuse. It is not right that J.K. Rowling suffered from abuse. I disagree with her opinions but that doesn't mean I am glad she suffered abuse at all.

2. It is not just women who suffer from abuse. When I identified as a man, I did. It is only because of the pressures placed upon men by society that men are generally reluctant to come forward with information about abuse. (It's terms like "Man up" and all that that I'm talking about. I think it could be part of the reason I'm transgender.)

3. It is already the case in Britain that you can identify as the opposite gender and use their facilities legally without a gender recognition certificate. Requiring somebody to be on cross-sex hormones and/or to have gender correction surgery would not change that fact.

4. She does not seem to understand the problems we have in trying to live our lives. I stopped using male toilet facilities for two reasons: (i) I felt that I no longer belonged there; (ii) I was afraid of being subject to abuse within the facilities. I do understand that my presence in a female toilet facility may cause some anxiety with the other users of the facility. I try my best to mitigate that by keeping to myself. I am clearly dressed as a woman when I use those facilities and everybody in society should by now be aware of transgender people save for people suffering from dementia or similar mental illnesses. And it isn't just MTF transgender people. FTM people suffer as well. Non-binary people have it worst, because it has not yet been tested whether they have the right to use the facilities of their choice by virtue of being non-binary.

5. If this issue was causing such a big problem, where is the evidence for it? Never once in my use of toilet facilities have I come across a situation in which other people were uncomfortable. My own discomfort was caused by the fear transgender people usually experience during transitioning, and I had to deal with that myself. If I went into a female toilet facility with the intention of causing harm, does she think that the law is going to prevent me from doing that? Of course not.

A lot more than my two pennorth, and I have had a couple of drinks as it's a Saturday so I hope it reads OK... I also hope I've made my point clear; there are times when I fail to do that. - E

Offline Devlyn

• devlynmarie@susans.org
[size]Yet another Harry Potter star speaks out after JK Rowling’s anti-trans tirade: ‘Trans people are wonderful and deserve to be treated as such'
[/size]

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2020/06/10/chris-rankin-percy-weasly-harry-potter-jk-rowlings-anti-trans-transphobia-daniel-radcliffe/

PinkNews/Added by Emma Powys Maurice June 10, 2020

"The actor Chris Rankin has joined the growing list of Harry Potter stars siding with the transgender community after JK Rowling’s latest anti-trans comments.

Rankin played the character of Percy Weasley in the Harry Potter franchise between 2001 and 2011. He is an outspoken LGBT+ advocate and founder of the House of ChrisNess, a virtual community to support queer youth."

*************************************************************************************

Yet another voice speaking out against her views.
Veteran, US Army

Tags: