Author Topic: Trump administration rolls back Obama-era transgender health care protections  (Read 594 times)

Offline itsApril

Trump administration rolls back Obama-era transgender health care protections

By Devan Cole, CNN
Updated 9:03 PM ET, Fri June 12, 2020
https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/12/politics/trump-administration-transgender-health-care-protections/index.html

Washington (CNN)The Trump administration announced Friday it is eliminating an Obama-era regulation prohibiting discrimination in health care against patients who are transgender.

The move -- coming during Pride Month, an annual celebration of the LGBTQ community that takes place throughout the month of June, and on the four-year anniversary of the deadly Pulse nightclub shooting, in which 49 people were killed at a popular LGBTQ venue in Orlando -- was swiftly denounced by LGBTQ groups, which see the action as discriminatory.

Section 1557 of the Affordable Care Act, known as the Health Care Rights Law, "prohibits discrimination based on race, color, national origin, sex, age or disability in certain health programs and activities." A rule enacted in 2016 interpreted the ban on sex discrimination to include discrimination on the basis of gender identity, building on similar interpretations in other federal civil rights laws and court rulings, and termination of pregnancy. . . .
-April

Offline itsApril

This is it, folks: what the Trump administration has been working towards for the last three years.  The federal protections you enjoyed against discrimination in healthcare are now . . . GONE.

Unless you enjoy STATE protections (in a number of states like California, Washington, Colorado, and most of the Northeast) healthcare providers and insurers will now be free to discriminate against you on the basis of gender identity or expression.  If you live in the South or much of the Midwest or in most of the Rocky Mountain states, things just got a whole lot worse for you.

If you voted for Trump in 2016, look yourself in the mirror and ask yourself WHY.

Then ask yourself what you're going to do about it in November.
-April

Online Laura1951

• Friend
While I'm glad I live in California, this scares the out of me. The constant hate we receive from the Trump admin sets us back decades.

Laura
One New Life to Live (My personal blog)

Laura's HRT Journal     |     Laura's FFS Journey.   |  Stay or Go

Offline Danielle Kristina

• Friend
To add insult to injury, he does it during Pride Month in the midst of a pandemic, as if times aren’t hard enough as it is. 

Offline RobinM.R.

• Neighbor
I live in CA so I do feel a little fortunate.  I've yet to start HRT. I've tried to get a referral for an endocrinologist from my personal practitioner, but no dice.

I've been holding off from making an appointment to ask for the referral again. With covid I thought I'd just wait a little bit before I press the issue. But then Trump pulls Transgender protections. I'm like "can they deny me outright now?"

I don't know what to expect, I just hope California takes care of me.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Online AnonyMs

Unless you have other medical problems you don’t need an endo. Also, there’s a big google map/list of informed consent clinics in the USA.

Offline Devlyn

• The Forum Administrator
  • devlynmarie@susans.org
This is why our legal status needs to be protected by law. The Obama era protections were merely shortcuts in lieu of going through the proper legislative process, and weren't durable.
Veteran, US Army

Offline SadieBlake

Because getting protections thru the Republican controlled Senate was going to be a slam-dunk.
🌈👭 lesbian, troublemaker ;-) 🌈🏳️‍🌈

Offline Tess100

Another  thing to put into the Donald's legacy.  Hopefully all Americans will stand up and vote during the next election to remove the Donald and send him back to reality TV where he came from!

Offline AnneK

Unless you have other medical problems you don’t need an endo. Also, there’s a big google map/list of informed consent clinics in the USA.

I'm on informed consent.  I told my doctor I wanted hormones and was referred to an endo, as my doctor said she wasn't qualified to prescribe the hormones.
I'm a 66 year old male who has been thinking about SRS for many years.  I also was a  full cross dresser for a few years.  I wear a bra, pantyhose and nail polish daily because it just feels right.

Started HRT April 17, 2019.

Offline Lyric

• Family
This is yet another standard Trump administration stunt-- probably with an entirely political aim. The primary concerns of Republican administrations tend to be the pockets of the big business and the wealthy, but re-election requires arousing emotion among we ordinary folk. They know they'll not be getting any votes to speak of from LGBT(etc) people and those who sympathize with them. But by arousing controversy on both sides of the issue they get attention-- which in the 2016 election campaign always seemed to work in Trump's favor.

He (or rather his smarter strategists) want you to become angry about this, thus arousing the anger of the haters, who in turn may vote for him-- as they did before. Plus it distracted from the administration's horrindous failings at managing the pandemic and now the racial unrest.

Please, everybody, go vote in November.
"Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life." - Steve Jobs

Offline SarahXtal

• Visitor
   Found out recently that the clinic I go to for my HRT, Whitman-Walker Health in DC, has a lawsuit against this! Its Whitman-Walker Clinic v. HHS

<Link not allowed>
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 08:59:12 pm by Northern Star Girl »

Tags: