Author Topic: News this morning (UK)  (Read 838 times)

Offline BrightWindow

• Friend
News this morning (UK)
« on: June 14, 2020, 04:24:53 am »
I live in the UK and my mother and I were looking at the news this morning and say that the suggestions for changing legal gender were declined, and it also looked like trans women won't be able to use women's toilets and trans men won't  be able to use men's toilets. I'm deeply unhappy about this because I want to be able to use women's toilets and it breaks my heart that these choices were made.
Profile picture credit:
"Nastasia (Modern)" by fawfulthegreat64
https://www.deviantart.com/fawfulthegreat64/art/Nastasia-Modern-Super-Paper-Mario-10th-676052566
Used with consent.

Offline Pammie

Re: News this morning (UK)
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2020, 07:05:28 am »
I live in the UK and my mother and I were looking at the news this morning and say that the suggestions for changing legal gender were declined, and it also looked like trans women won't be able to use women's toilets and trans men won't  be able to use men's toilets. I'm deeply unhappy about this because I want to be able to use women's toilets and it breaks my heart that these choices were made.
I’ve not seen the news yet but toilets seems unlikely - what new rules have they made? Xx

I opened the door and the light shone in

Offline MollyPants

• Family
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2020, 07:38:29 am »
I haven’t read the whole article yet. I’m still shaking from the first few paragraphs so I don’t know if I can bear to read the rest. I saw someone comment that banning private treatment for transgender treatment is also being considered. I’m over 2 1/2 years in the NHS waiting list now it is just torture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
  • No act of kindness, however small, is wasted.
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2020, 07:50:58 am »
I haven’t read the whole article yet. I’m still shaking from the first few paragraphs so I don’t know if I can bear to read the rest. I saw someone comment that banning private treatment for transgender treatment is also being considered. I’m over 2 1/2 years in the NHS waiting list now it is just torture.

If you are spending your own money for your transgender treatments and services I cannot fathom why they would be banned.  I know that third party insurers, including businesses and government, may not want to pay for them and some embrace trans services and do willingly pay, making private party paid (self-pay) disallowed seems simply wrong.  I wonder what is driving this decision. 

Send a link to the article please.

Chrissy
Be a good example of good behavior.  Always be kinder than needed.  Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that your speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.  Serve others.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

Offline MollyPants

• Family
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2020, 08:03:56 am »

If you are spending your own money for your transgender treatments and services I cannot fathom why they would be banned.  I know that third party insurers, including businesses and government, may not want to pay for them and some embrace trans services and do willingly pay, making private party paid (self-pay) disallowed seems simply wrong.  I wonder what is driving this decision. 

Send a link to the article please.

Chrissy
The article is behind a paywall unfortunately. <Link not allowed>

It’s been widely shared on twitter though. Quack doctors is the key point regarding limiting what they can do privately. If a doctor is operating inappropriately then that’s a matter for their regulator so it is absolutely an attack on private health care.

The picture below is the actual front page.

Sorry if the quality is too poor to read.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 11:11:14 am by Northern Star Girl »

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
  • No act of kindness, however small, is wasted.
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2020, 08:25:20 am »
The article is behind a paywall unfortunately.  <Link not allowed>

It’s been widely shared on twitter though. Quack doctors is the key point regarding limiting what they can do privately. If a doctor is operating inappropriately then that’s a matter for their regulator so it is absolutely an attack on private health care.

The picture below is the actual front page.

Sorry if the quality is too poor to read.

Thanks for sharing.  Some oversight is needed for sure.  The only quack I want is from a duck!

But restricting good medical providers with private payers is going over the top wrong.

I was just wondering though in a country with “government paid“ health care (it is actually paid by the taxpayers) if they were trying to limit access not only by longer wait times for services but by type of service.  Maybe they do that ready, but not specifically to single out trans care, private pay or not.   I hope they do not limit emergency care in any way.  I live in the USA.

Chrissy
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 11:12:00 am by Northern Star Girl »
Be a good example of good behavior.  Always be kinder than needed.  Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that your speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.  Serve others.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

Offline Erika_

• Friend
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2020, 09:35:18 am »
Well this may not be the best thing to say, but I'm glad I don't live in the UK. {for more reasons than this one}

But I'm not surprised, just disappointed.

Offline davina61

• The ramblings of an old dear
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2020, 11:20:58 am »
I will be asking for my gender recognition certificate when I speak to GIC on Thursday. 
a long time coming (out) HRT 12 2017

Jill of all trades mistress of non
Know a bit about everything but not enough to be clever

Offline davina61

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2020, 03:48:30 pm »
Well I just signed an online petition , 5000 so far and growing. I would put a link but don't know how----------

Offline BrightWindow

• Friend
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2020, 02:53:43 am »
Well I just signed an online petition , 5000 so far and growing. I would put a link but don't know how----------
Is it on gov.uk? If so I can search it on their site and sign it if you would give me its name.
Profile picture credit:
https://www.deviantart.com/fawfulthegreat64/art/Nastasia-Modern-Super-Paper-Mario-10th-676052566
Used with consent.

Offline davina61

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2020, 12:22:27 pm »
No they pulled the official one after 5 signatures, this was on FB . 13k now . They are saying one before was inaccurate due to trans activists .   

Offline davina61

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2020, 02:10:06 am »
26k signatures

Offline F_P_M

• Family
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2020, 05:47:13 am »
Unfortunately the equalities minister who advises and makes a lot of decisions on this kinda thing is a raging transphobe.
The tragedy there is that her policies, like so many tory policies, are going to get people killed.

I honestly am finding the news harder and harder to stomach. I'm so scared that it's only a matter of time before we're denied our medication and not to be dramatic but in all honesty, if I lose access to my HRT (which I currently have to get privately as my GP won't do shared care and the wait list for the GIC is only getting longer) I don't think i'll be able to continue to function.
The level of pain, legitimate physical PAIN and illness my natural hormones cause me is unlivable. To put it into perspective, according to the pain chart I was living with a near constant level of 6-8 pain prior to hrt from migraines, cluster headaches, chest pains, cramping and so on. Now on hrt? I'm at a 2 and that's mostly a low grade headache and my usual joint problems (I'm hypermobile so my joints are useless)

to drop from pain that left me bedridden for days on end to being able to do just about everything I could want to do is astounding.

and so the fear that transphobia may lead to me losing that is something that honestly can keep me up at night.

I know it's unlikely they can do that, to have that sort of reach, but at the same time given how anti trans the UK media and politicians ARE, it's still something that frightens me.

As it stands, already Gendercare cannot perscribe hrt without you getting blood tests and paying a second time to see the endo as well as the psychiatrist so we've gone from one £300 appointment and getting bridging hormones while you wait what can be months to see the endo to £600 and several months wait to convince a second doctor.
Which seems a huge step backwards. They got clamped down on and told to stop, I dunno why.

GPs are also under no obligation to agree to shared care and mine have cited "cost" as a reason to deny me. My only recourse is to change doctors and try again and hope THEY will do it which they might not, so then you have to change again.. and again.. and again.. and around it goes till you get lucky. Which is exhausting and just not practical. if you're already depressed or struggling with your access to this sort of care how the hell would you have the energy to keep changing doctors till you found one who'd agree to shared care?

The thing that really irritates me about this whole "oh no, we must PROTECT people from themselves, hrt and gender affirming care is daaaangerous!" handwringing is that cis women are handed out estrogen like it's fricken candy with NO information on how dangerous it can be and no monitoring at all. You just get given pills and sent away. It's only magically "suuuuper dangerous" when a trans woman wants it and testosterone is somehow magically more dangerous than literally any other drug i'm on despite the list of side effects being really short and really rare. My antidepressants and betablockers have far more common and far more potentially deadly side effects but nobody's screaming and handwringing about access to THOSE. It's hypocritical and it annoys me.
You can't claim to be "concerned" about people's health when you're not putting the same restrictions and hurdles in place for other drugs or procedures.

I mean damn, I was given Clomid about 10 years ago which is a nasty fertility drug and I wasn't monitored at all. 3 months and they didn't bother to do anything to make sure I was okay. Those come with the "lovely" potential side effect of ovarian RUPTURE ffs. Internal bleeding and ectopic pregnancy are side effects. It is NOT a drug you should be left to just "get on with it" with. And yet, the NHS were all "yeah take these, it'll be fine, see ya."
Neverminding they also really screw your mental health. Evil evil drug.

So it just really annoys me that these transphobes will insist they're "just worried about our health!" when it's clearly a load of crock. They aren't, they just don't want us having access to help because they'd prefer we went away and died in a ditch. -_-

Yes, i'm cranky.

Offline BrightWindow

• Friend
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2020, 08:33:18 am »
Unfortunately the equalities minister who advises and makes a lot of decisions on this kinda thing is a raging transphobe.
The tragedy there is that her policies, like so many tory policies, are going to get people killed.

I honestly am finding the news harder and harder to stomach. I'm so scared that it's only a matter of time before we're denied our medication and not to be dramatic but in all honesty, if I lose access to my HRT (which I currently have to get privately as my GP won't do shared care and the wait list for the GIC is only getting longer) I don't think i'll be able to continue to function.
The level of pain, legitimate physical PAIN and illness my natural hormones cause me is unlivable. To put it into perspective, according to the pain chart I was living with a near constant level of 6-8 pain prior to hrt from migraines, cluster headaches, chest pains, cramping and so on. Now on hrt? I'm at a 2 and that's mostly a low grade headache and my usual joint problems (I'm hypermobile so my joints are useless)

to drop from pain that left me bedridden for days on end to being able to do just about everything I could want to do is astounding.

and so the fear that transphobia may lead to me losing that is something that honestly can keep me up at night.

I know it's unlikely they can do that, to have that sort of reach, but at the same time given how anti trans the UK media and politicians ARE, it's still something that frightens me.

As it stands, already Gendercare cannot perscribe hrt without you getting blood tests and paying a second time to see the endo as well as the psychiatrist so we've gone from one £300 appointment and getting bridging hormones while you wait what can be months to see the endo to £600 and several months wait to convince a second doctor.
Which seems a huge step backwards. They got clamped down on and told to stop, I dunno why.

GPs are also under no obligation to agree to shared care and mine have cited "cost" as a reason to deny me. My only recourse is to change doctors and try again and hope THEY will do it which they might not, so then you have to change again.. and again.. and again.. and around it goes till you get lucky. Which is exhausting and just not practical. if you're already depressed or struggling with your access to this sort of care how the hell would you have the energy to keep changing doctors till you found one who'd agree to shared care?

The thing that really irritates me about this whole "oh no, we must PROTECT people from themselves, hrt and gender affirming care is daaaangerous!" handwringing is that cis women are handed out estrogen like it's fricken candy with NO information on how dangerous it can be and no monitoring at all. You just get given pills and sent away. It's only magically "suuuuper dangerous" when a trans woman wants it and testosterone is somehow magically more dangerous than literally any other drug i'm on despite the list of side effects being really short and really rare. My antidepressants and betablockers have far more common and far more potentially deadly side effects but nobody's screaming and handwringing about access to THOSE. It's hypocritical and it annoys me.
You can't claim to be "concerned" about people's health when you're not putting the same restrictions and hurdles in place for other drugs or procedures.

I mean damn, I was given Clomid about 10 years ago which is a nasty fertility drug and I wasn't monitored at all. 3 months and they didn't bother to do anything to make sure I was okay. Those come with the "lovely" potential side effect of ovarian RUPTURE ffs. Internal bleeding and ectopic pregnancy are side effects. It is NOT a drug you should be left to just "get on with it" with. And yet, the NHS were all "yeah take these, it'll be fine, see ya."
Neverminding they also really screw your mental health. Evil evil drug.

So it just really annoys me that these transphobes will insist they're "just worried about our health!" when it's clearly a load of crock. They aren't, they just don't want us having access to help because they'd prefer we went away and died in a ditch. -_-

Yes, i'm cranky.

I feel you. I also don't think that dangerousness is a sound argument against HRT, since I don't believe that HRT is unsafe given you are supervised on a doctor. I too would be very unhappy if I were not able to have HRT (I have never had HRT before but am trying to start it). I hope everything goes well for you.
Profile picture credit:
Used with consent.

Tags: