Author Topic: Why are the pockets on women’s pants often so shallow?  (Read 4315 times)

Offline F_P_M

• Family
Re: Why are the pockets on women’s pants often so shallow?
« Reply #60 on: October 15, 2019, 07:46:22 am »
because women aren't supposed to use pockets apparently, you're supposed to carry a bag instead.
The shallow pockets are decorative, not functional.

Meanwhile, you find a dress or a skirt with pockets and i defy ANY woman not to gleefully spend 90% of her time with her hands in them lol. My mother keeps doing this and it's adorable, she's taken to buying 50s style dresses from this one company and they have really deep pockets hidden in the seams so she ALWAYS has her hands in pockets now.
It's a luxury when you're a lady and have spent your life with decorative completely useless pockets or non existant ones.

Of course, I once had a pair of underpants (womens underpants) that had a pocket and my husband and I spent a great deal of time pondering what you could fit into it. it was too small for a condom. Maybe a small vial of lube? *snort*

Who the heck puts a pocket on underpants?

But I do have to say that having switched from womens to men's clothing, I kinda missed having a bag. So much so I now have a "man bag". See, modern phones are too large to comfortably fit into pockets with a wallet and keys and keys stab you in the leg/butt if you aren't careful. On top of that I have to carry around an inhaler and painkillers and most men's pants aside from my cargo pants simply haven't got enough pockets for all that.
So a shoulder bag is practical. I'm actually seeing more and more guys carrying bags, presumably for this very reason. Modern life requires more than just keys and wallet, there's not enough space in pockets for all the stuff we now carry around on a daily basis.

Of course i've ALWAYS worn a shoulder bag rather than a clutch or handbag. My "handbag" in girl mode was always a shoulder sort of affair which I never took off when out and about, meaning I couldn't forget it. If I had to remove it from my shoulder i'd wrap the strap around my leg so nobody could steal it (that happened once, it was horrible) which reminded me it was there when I stood up.
Even now I have a terrible tendency to throw my coat over the TOP of said bad, resulting in a wierd bulge under my coat hahaha. I don't care, it's way easier to take the coat off when you walk into a heated shop without having to remove the bag first.

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
  • No act of kindness, however small, is wasted.
« Reply #61 on: October 15, 2019, 08:34:03 am »
I do like deeper pockets for telephone and keys.

However, I bought some tighter pants, not leggings or skinny jeans, just tighter straight leg jeans. They do seem to make me look a bit rounder down there in the back, as the pant legs seem to go right up to my bottom and maybe lifts it, or at least, accentuates it.   

Things in the pockets do distract from the appearance in that case.

I still prefer looser clothes usually though.

Chrissy
Always be kinder than needed.  Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that your speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
« Reply #62 on: November 23, 2019, 10:48:39 am »
Except for some jeans, cords, chinos, and cargo pants, most of the time the pockets are shallow.  Now that I am getting a little bit of shape down there it is nice to not disrupt the clothing fit with stuff in the pockets.

Yet, I do like to have deep pockets for when I wish to use them.  Why not?  I guess I am too practical.  Maybe if I ever get a truly shapely bottom I would think differently, but maybe not then either!   :)

Deeper pockets should not disrupt the shapely fit, unless of course, you use them!

Chrissy
Always be kinder than needed.  Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that your speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

Offline tiffanynicole

« Reply #63 on: November 23, 2019, 12:03:48 pm »
I would say carry a purse most of the time and then if you just want to carry your phone, put it in a coat pocket or if not wearing a coat then just carry it in your hand. Just my thoughts and from observing other women.

Offline Josie389

« Reply #64 on: November 23, 2019, 03:51:05 pm »
I have definitely noticed the same thing. Some of my wife’s pants and shorts have faux pockets that you can’t put anything in! I guess we will just have to find a really cute purse 😊

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
« Reply #65 on: November 24, 2019, 07:12:31 pm »
Maybe there will be some good sales on some appealing purses soon! 
Or some pants with deep pockets!

Chrissy

Online Maid Marion

« Reply #66 on: November 24, 2019, 09:44:08 pm »
Amazon Essentials womans jeans have full sized pockets.

Offline sarahc

• Sarah
« Reply #67 on: November 24, 2019, 09:56:19 pm »
As an economics major, I still have yet to figure out whether dysfunctional pockets is a supply problem or a demand problem...

Is it because fashion designers are for the most part vetoing designing useful pockets despite high demand for functional pockets?

Or is it because women are voting with their pocketbook by not buying pants with potentially baggy yet functional pockets?

I tend to think the true cause is the latter explanation...as much as some women complain about lack of pockets...they still tend to choose style over function. (I also think another part of it is that many women like to or need to regularly carry lots of stuff and so they’re going to carry a purse anyway.)

Sarah
----
48 years young.
Known that I am trans since...forever.
First therapy session / decided to transition / hair removal: October 2018
HRT: January 2019 (journal https://www.susans.org/forums/index.phpVF/topic,244009.0.html)
VFS: September 2019; three-month report here
Full-time: April 2020
FFS: August 2020
SRS: January 2021

Offline barbie

• I change my avatar every week
« Reply #68 on: November 24, 2019, 10:46:39 pm »
At least I can put a part of my hands to warm.

They are functional.

barbie~~
Just do it.

Offline IWish

• Neighbor
« Reply #69 on: November 25, 2019, 12:45:29 am »
Ive found that a good clutch trumps pockets .

IWish
IWish I was born a girl !

Offline Em2

• Trying to find me
« Reply #70 on: November 25, 2019, 07:28:46 am »
So the jeans I am wearing now I can't even get my fingers in the front pockets and more than half of my phone hangs out the back pockets. But I love the way they fit and how good my bum looks in them. :)

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
« Reply #71 on: November 25, 2019, 07:30:58 am »
So the jeans I am wearing now I can't even get my fingers in the front pockets and more than half of my phone hangs out the back pockets. But I love the way they fit and how good my bum looks in them. :)

I hope mine will look really good one day!  I am happy for you Em!   :)

Chrissy

Offline Em2

• Trying to find me
« Reply #72 on: November 25, 2019, 08:45:55 am »
Hi Chrissy,

Really just my opinion, but looks a lot better in my girl jeans than my boy jeans, but far from perfect!  :)

Em

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
« Reply #73 on: February 02, 2020, 10:26:14 am »
Well I have noticed recently that it has been a just a tad harder to put as much into my pockets of female pants, should I desire to do so.   I think there has been a slightly perceptible rounding out.  :)

Chrissy

Offline Julielynn

« Reply #74 on: February 03, 2020, 05:02:16 am »
You could always do the "girly" thing and learn to sew.  I've been looking into that just to do my own tailoring since I don't expect to have a permanent shape for a few years.

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
« Reply #75 on: July 19, 2020, 10:42:33 pm »
Purses help out with the shallow pants issue.

But, I wish the pockets were deeper on more pants, at least on some styles, so they could be used.

These telephones keep getting larger!  Sometimes you just want to put it in a pocket, instead of carrying it or sticking it in a purse.

Chrissy

Offline sarahc

• Sarah
« Reply #76 on: July 20, 2020, 05:02:49 am »
Question: How do teenage girls carry their phones and wallets? Sometimes, I see teenagers without a bag...so where do they put their stuff?

Sarah
----
48 years young.
Known that I am trans since...forever.
First therapy session / decided to transition / hair removal: October 2018
HRT: January 2019 (journal https://www.susans.org/forums/index.phpVF/topic,244009.0.html)
VFS: September 2019; three-month report here
Full-time: April 2020
FFS: August 2020
SRS: January 2021

Offline JennyTG

• Family
« Reply #77 on: July 22, 2020, 03:02:41 pm »
Ive found that a good clutch trumps pockets .

IWish

For me as well

Tags: