International > English (UK)

UK language

<< < (2/5) > >>

Pica Pica:
I am delighted there's a whole board for people who speak English proper like what I do.

Angelaney:
Some of that is universal, but most of it is London English, and London is nothing like the rest of the UK (thank god) :p

Sephirah:

--- Quote from: Pica Pica on April 02, 2021, 03:53:26 pm ---I am delighted there's a whole board for people who speak English proper like what I do.

--- End quote ---

Wow, there's a blast from the past. Good to hear from you again, hon! *hugs*

LOL! I use the term "faffing" rather a lot in day to day life. If something is needlessly complicated, it's a lot of "faffing around!"

pamelatransuk:
Hello Everyone

It is quite interesting that we have in UK as pointed out by Angelaney some phrases familiar to most of UK and some familiar to regions only.

It is extraordinary that we have in UK so many regional accents for a country so small by land mass.

Perhaps it is expected certain UK words are unknown to US citizens and certain US words are unknown to UK citizens. Just wish to mention a couple of food terms for amusement.
1. I recall on this website a British lady referring to dining out and enjoying Gammon which is apparently unfamiliar to Americans.
2. When visiting US and dining out, I had no idea what Beets were and agreed to sample them only to discover we have it here but call it Beetroot.

Hugs

Pamela xx

Sephirah:

--- Quote from: pamelatransuk on April 04, 2021, 03:09:22 pm ---It is extraordinary that we have in UK so many regional accents for a country so small by land mass.

--- End quote ---

Yup, it is.

This video is quite enlightening. Although even I, born in England, can't understand a word some of the speakers are saying. No wonder Americans need subtitles in some movies.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version