Author Topic: How to manage the heat  (Read 664 times)

Offline Gertrude

• Trudie
  • Family
Re: How to manage the heat
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2020, 09:22:54 pm »
We retired up here after 35 years in Houston; you'd think we'd be accustomed to the heat. The tolerance doesn't last though, especially when everywhere down there is air conditioned. What really surprised us was how rapidly we re-acclimated to the cold. Sub-zero no problems, outside all day clearing snow - piece of cake. Go figure...  The heat does seem to get worse each year too; that was a primary reason for leaving Texas.

I went the other way. I live in AZ and hate the heat. It's just flipping the time of year when you can't do much outside.

Offline MeTony

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2020, 10:24:42 pm »
Hi Tony....sorry you have to endure that.

34C?  That's really extreme for Sweden. :(
Are you near Malmö? (I can't imagine the north being like that...)

I lived in Iceland for almost 10 years, and I can't remember it going above 14-15C.
I live in Stockholm. It’s some kind of heat wave coming from Siberia.

Today is 10 degrees cooler. Yaaay. :)

Offline MeTony

How to manage the heat
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2020, 10:30:22 pm »
We have every door and window open. One of my boys is sleeping in the livingroom. It’s too hot in his room.

I guess cold showers is the key. I’m not made for that heat. Today is 10 degrees colder. It is also warm. 25 degrees, raining.

Tony

Offline Jenny_Oh

• Friend
  • One is not born, but rather becomes, a woman - SdB
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2020, 01:07:17 pm »
They key, I find, is to slowly acclimatize by sleeping at warmer and warmer temperatures. Eventually the body's endothermic heat generating metabolism slows down and allows you to exist comfortably at the higher temp. Currently I'm okay at 80F / 27C. I can usually get to 86F / 30C or so by August. The only downside is that winter usually comes fast here (like within a couple of weeks) and you have to acclimatize rapidly in the opposite direction. But that's what comfy sweaters are for  ;D

Offline Gabrielageo

« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2020, 09:15:09 pm »
Fans can help, but only if they're circulating cooler air, otherwise that's pretty nasty, lower your shades but make sure there's air circulation, turn off your lights as much as you can, darkness is your friend, create a draft by opening doors or windows at opposite ends

"I live under my fan in the ceiling. It’s on max. I’d like a turbo boost on it. Haha"

Humidity is your enemy, wear loose clothes so sweat evaporates

"I’m sweaty and my t-shirts are wet all the time. Even right after taking a shower. "

Offline TSL_NB

« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2020, 09:28:16 pm »
I live in Stockholm. It’s some kind of heat wave coming from Siberia.

Today is 10 degrees cooler. Yaaay. :)

I read about that.....it was 38C in Verkhoyansk (a place that averages about -50C in winter).
That is just crazy. :(

I hope you and the family were able to cool off somehow.
It took over 40 years to realise, and believe, that what I am NOT, is a mistake.

Offline MeTony

« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2020, 04:32:55 am »
Thank you all for your tips. I’ve bought new shirts and tanktops in, I hope, good material. They are made for running. Runners need to cool off while running.

The problem with opening windows/doors at the oposite end of the apartment is that there was no wind. The air did not move.

Today is 20 degrees. I love it. Just right.

Tony

Offline MxRileyQuinn

• Androgynous Coffee-Fueled Equestrian
  • HRT Date: 01 July 2019
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2020, 12:39:53 pm »
A bit late to the thread, but I'm from Texas and we regularly get 90-plus degree heat from about mid-June through mid-September (on average).  I also live full-time in an RV so air conditioning only works so much.  If it's 100-degrees outside, the best I can hope for inside is often about 80-85.  The A/C would work better if I had the RV under a shade cover of some sort though, and I am actively working on that.  Heat-blocking curtains also help.  I work on a ranch so shorts and open-toe shoes (like sandals) are not an option.  I do wear a short-sleeved shirt every day, but I'm also in jeans and boots.  Eventually, you acclimate (I'm originally from the Adirondack Mtns of New York so I'm used to the cold) but that can take a long time.  Sorry you're getting such a heat-wave!  I remember being on Gotland and in Stockholm during this part of the year and it was warm, but comfortable.  Hope things cool off for you!
"Hail Caffeina, goddess of the morning!"

"Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of Solitaire. It is a grand passion." – Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline TSL_NB

« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2020, 03:22:57 pm »
Thank you all for your tips. I’ve bought new shirts and tanktops in, I hope, good material. They are made for running. Runners need to cool off while running.

The problem with opening windows/doors at the oposite end of the apartment is that there was no wind. The air did not move.

Today is 20 degrees. I love it. Just right.

Tony

I'm glad it cleared for you. :)

20 is much, MUCH better (it's around 25 here in my part of Canada now).
It took over 40 years to realise, and believe, that what I am NOT, is a mistake.

Tags: Maine heat humidity