Author Topic: When did you see a change?  (Read 344 times)

Online RachelTG

• Neighbor
When did you see a change?
« on: July 02, 2020, 08:50:31 am »
First, I am an old fart(fartess) at 67. I am 10 months on HRT and I am really struggling to see any changes in my face. Maybe my skin is a little softer but that's it. Internally I feel great and sure of my changes. I know that should be enough but it's not. So, for us mature ladies, did you see changes in facial appearance other than skin softness and if so, on average, how long did it take?

Thanks

Offline pamelatransuk

• Finally taking action after decades of suppression
Re: When did you see a change?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2020, 10:31:11 am »
Hello again  Rachel

I am 65 and have been on HRT 28 months (of which the first 21 was on E Patches and the last 7 on E Gel).

We are often the last to notice face changes simply because we see our own face every day. It is perhaps better to rely on others judgement providing it is honest.

Obviously YMMV applies here but in my case people say they noticed just before I went fulltime after 16 months meaning around 13 or 14 months after starting HRT.

Wishing  you happiness  and success.

Hugs

Pamela xx

Offline Battle Goddess

• Friend
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2020, 11:47:03 am »
Younger-ish, but not by a ton. HRT for 18 months, YMWV, can only speak for myself, yadda yadda.

Must echo Pamela's point about how slow it seems vs how much goes on. Yesterday I dredged out a photo of myself from four years ago and compared it to one taken yesterday. The difference is beyond striking - I scarcely resemble the person from back then.

Even so, every day I look in the mirror and don't see any changes. It's frustrating.

Am I hoping for an overnight change? Do I have unreasonable expectations for what I'll end up looking like? Do I have unreasonable expectations for the rate of change? Probably all of the above.

I'm not saying that you have any of my issues. Just trying to reaffirm to myself that it's a game of bunts, scratch singles, and patience, not of triples or home runs, and the game takes as long as it takes.

Thanks for surfacing this issue.
Spironolactone January 10 2019
Divigel January 20 2019
Estradiol Valerate March 14 2019

Offline Rakel

• Formerly known as Dani
  • Rakel@susans.org
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2020, 07:12:04 pm »
Rachel,

I transitioned at about the same age as you are, mid 60's. After GCS, my next priority was FFS, I had been on HRT for a little over two years when I had FFS.

My face did not soften much the first year of HRT, but people were noticing things after that, By the time I had my FFS, my face was soft and saggy. As part of my FFS I had the cheeks and neck tightened up a bit. My profile picture is from that time frame.

So, the answer to your question is a couple of years, but you will not see a dramatic change until you have FFS. This applies to us older ladies.

Offline SarahEL

• Oh no, I've said too much .... I haven't said enough
  • Friend
  • That's me in the photo! (on my 50th Birthday)
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2020, 07:18:55 pm »
RachelTG your profile picture already looks very feminine, I am sure a lot of that is down to your hrt...
For me, I still see a man in the mirror but a few months ago people started gendering me female, I looked at some old photos and must admit at being shocked by just how much I have changed. So much so I updated my driver's license photo the next day...  Give it time, your looking great already xx

Offline MxRileyQuinn

• Androgynous Coffee-Fueled Equestrian
  • HRT Date: 01 July 2019
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2020, 02:51:35 pm »
Rachel, don't feel badly or compare yourself to everyone else.  If I've learned anything so far, it is that "Your Milage May Vary".  I'm 35, as of two days ago, and I have been on HRT for 12 months.  I still do not see much change and looking at photos I still feel like I look like just a boy.  My partner sees the changes better, but they're still pretty small so far.  I'm hoping this next year is full of positive changes for me, and I wish the same for you as well. 
"Hail Caffeina, goddess of the morning!"

"Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of Solitaire. It is a grand passion." – Ralph Waldo Emerson

Tags: