Author Topic: Any fellow equestrians here?  (Read 276 times)

Offline MxRileyQuinn

• Androgynous Coffee-Fueled Equestrian
  • HRT Date: 01 July 2019
Any fellow equestrians here?
« on: July 03, 2020, 03:19:16 pm »
Is anyone else here an equestrian or just a horse lover in general?  I have the blessing of being able to live and work on a small horse ranch with my partner, and we have four equine "children" and two dogs.  I won't flood the forum with tons of photos, but I will share one from two days ago when we went on a trail ride for my birthday.  We even took the horses swimming at the end of the day!

"Hail Caffeina, goddess of the morning!"

"Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of Solitaire. It is a grand passion." – Ralph Waldo Emerson

Online Northern Star Girl

• Previously Alaskan Danielle
  • northernstargirl@susans.org
Re: Any fellow equestrians here?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2020, 03:48:30 pm »
@RileyWolf
Dear Riley:
I enjoyed your photo of you riding your Palomino as you celebrated your birthday.

I grew up on my parent's cattle ranch with all kinds of critters and several small fields of pasture grass and some crops.   I own several horses including my favorite Quarter Horse and a very gentle Paint. 

I am not very tall, barely 5' 4" so I liked smaller mounts that were around 14 hands.  One of my first horses when I was very young was a small and very calm Morgan at just over 13 hands.   I was riding horses long before I drove a car.

As an older teenager I sometimes competed in small county fair Barrel Racing and Team Roping events and spent time with my 4H group.  I didn't win much, but had lots of fun.

Thank you for sharing and telling us a little more about yourself..... 
.... and again, HAPPY BIRTHDAY to YOU

Danielle
« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 09:39:25 pm by Northern Star Girl »
***SEE MY LINKS BELOW
The Ramblings of a Northern*Star Girl
A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles
I am the HUNTED PREY: Danielle’s Chronicles
Things change re: ALASKAN DANIELLE
Positive Mindset... put away negativity

Started HRT:   March 2015
Went Full-Time    December 2016
Quit my male-mode job and relocated to a very small town in Alaska in January 2017
I'm a blonde, blue eyed woman, Age 40

Offline MxRileyQuinn

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2020, 11:30:37 pm »
@NorthernStarGirl, That sounds pretty awesome!  I grew up trail riding/Western pleasure riding on Quarter Horses at a friend's horse farm in Upstate New York.  My grandfather also owned/operated a dairy farm as I was growing up and I spent TONS of time out there helping and having fun.  These days, I find myself living on a small 30-acre horse ranch in Texas.  We've got the stereotypical American Quarter Horses (six of them), but we also have a Percheron/Belgian draft cross and a Belgian/Friesian draft cross (and her colt who was born on May 4th!), two miniature horses, an American Saddle Bred, a Mustang, and a Tennessee Walking Horse (who is mine, though I just got her).  I never thought when I left the Air Force that I would end up working and living on a ranch, but the good this has done for me physically and psychologically has been the best thing that could have happened to me.  I've even been able to learn to drive a horse and carriage!  I work hard, but I also get to play hard, and nearly everything that I do throughout the day is therapeutic or cathartic in some way.  I've always been a bit horse crazy, but I never dreamed I'd end up spending all-day every day working with them.

"Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of Solitaire. It is a grand passion." – Ralph Waldo Emerson

Online Northern Star Girl

• Previously Alaskan Danielle
  • northernstargirl@susans.org
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2020, 09:38:50 pm »
@MxRileyQuinn
My two favorite rides when I go back "home" to my parents ranch....

***SEE MY LINKS BELOW
The Ramblings of a Northern*Star Girl
A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles
I am the HUNTED PREY: Danielle’s Chronicles
Things change re: ALASKAN DANIELLE
Positive Mindset... put away negativity

Started HRT:   March 2015
Went Full-Time    December 2016
Quit my male-mode job and relocated to a very small town in Alaska in January 2017
I'm a blonde, blue eyed woman, Age 40

Offline Rachel_Christina

• Family
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2020, 04:26:33 am »
At a time when we use FTP race here in Ireland we had 13 total, no so many left today, the good old days is over :')

Offline kaygee

• Mademoiselle💃
  • A very stable genius.🤪
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2020, 05:24:03 am »
I was raised in horse country (KY), but haven't been on a horse in years.

But back in the 90s I was having lunch with several women at the Boar's Head Inn in VA's steeplechase country.

The gal next to me had earrings that were obviously stirrups. I asked, "Oh! Are those stirrups?"

She replied, "Yes! I'm an equestrian!"

I countered, "I thought it was either that or you're a gynecologist!" :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

True story.
Give me ambiguity... or give me something else.

-Patrick… somebody

Offline MxRileyQuinn

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2020, 01:01:27 pm »
@MxRileyQuinn
My two favorite rides when I go back "home" to my parents ranch....

Aww!  Good lookers there!

Here's mine, her name is Gypsy (Miss Prides Pushy Gypsy) and she is a 15-hand 16yo registered black roan Tennessee Walking horse.

At a time when we use FTP race here in Ireland we had 13 total, no so many left today, the good old days is over :')
I'll be honest, I have no idea what "FTP racing" is.  My mother's family bred, raised, and trained Thoroughbred racing horses back in the day, but they'd gotten out of that business by the time my mother was a little girl.

I was raised in horse country (KY), but haven't been on a horse in years.

But back in the 90s I was having lunch with several women at the Boar's Head Inn in VA's steeplechase country.

The gal next to me had earrings that were obviously stirrups. I asked, "Oh! Are those stirrups?"

She replied, "Yes! I'm an equestrian!"

I countered, "I thought it was either that or you're a gynecologist!" :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

True story.
Now that's just too funny!

Offline Rachel_Christina

• Family
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2020, 01:54:36 pm »
Actually it was just supposed to be the word "to" 🤦‍♀️
What a dud

Tags: horses equestrian