Community Conversation > Military Veterans Confab

Question for US Veterans - what has VA actually covered for you, medically?

<< < (2/3) > >>

TSL_NB:
So, I thought I would just post an update here.

I had a phone appointment with my primary provider (I still can't go directly to the clinic with all of the border-crossing complications), and they apparently do cover the hair replacement part, but it's now something they directly provide.

I'm really not as worried about that part as I used to be, but it's good to know it's covered....I'm more excited about getting the HRT ball rolling. :)

Jane.Shannon:
The VA also has a great program for prosthetics which I think was easy for them to expand to include transgender people.  They will provide breast forms with 2 bras and gaffs or packers and binders.  I got a set of breast form through them, and they were really nice set that would have cost me $500+ on my own. 

I have also used the speech training.  It was very professional and helpful.

TSL_NB:

--- Quote from: Jane.Shannon on March 01, 2021, 10:46:00 am ---The VA also has a great program for prosthetics which I think was easy for them to expand to include transgender people.  They will provide breast forms with 2 bras and gaffs or packers and binders.  I got a set of breast form through them, and they were really nice set that would have cost me $500+ on my own. 

I have also used the speech training.  It was very professional and helpful.

--- End quote ---

Overall, my clinic in Togus has been great.

The one big complaint I do have, though (not with Togus, but VA overall), is the whole 'Foreign Medical' program.  I qualify for a hair system, but their regulations apparently forbid them to actually mail it out to my address here in Canada, since my dysphoria isn't service-connected (which is ridiculous....it's a hairpiece, not narcotics!).

I really think that needs to be reworked to serve us better.  There should be no issue with mailing out a prosthetic to someone who lives outside of the US.

Jane.Shannon:
For hair removal, I understand VA will do hair removal for surgery prep.  Meaning they will clear the genitals as prescribed by a surgeon. 

For facial hair removal, I wondering if their hand could be forced somehow.  Does anyone know, do they cover electrolysis for women diagnosed with hirsutism, which is excess facial hair growth?  I believe if they cover that, they have to cover facial hair removal for trans women too.  The same would apply to Tricare.

Rakel:

--- Quote from: Jane.Shannon on March 05, 2021, 03:17:54 pm ---For hair removal, I understand VA will do hair removal for surgery prep.  Meaning they will clear the genitals as prescribed by a surgeon. 

For facial hair removal, I wondering if their hand could be forced somehow.  Does anyone know, do they cover electrolysis for women diagnosed with hirsutism, which is excess facial hair growth?  I believe if they cover that, they have to cover facial hair removal for trans women too.  The same would apply to Tricare.

--- End quote ---

I have spent more money on facial hair removal than I did for my GCS. For us late transitioners, facial hair removal is a big expense, even if it is spread out over several years.

Fortunately, under the Biden administration, the VA system is doing a complete review of what should be covered  for medical transition services for veterans. The covered services by the VA may change in the near future.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version