Author Topic: Masks makes passing easier?  (Read 864 times)

Offline Toni1

Masks makes passing easier?
« on: July 06, 2020, 08:44:30 pm »
I had a nice experience today. I took my daughter to the DMV to get her learner's permit. Handing in the paperwork the clerk asked me if I was my daughter's mom. Not wanting to complicate anything for my daughter I said no I was her dad. The clerk again repeated if I was her mom. At that I just said yes. He examined my male gender license copying the information and had me sign my daughter's application. In the relation to applicant box I just wrote parent. Upon completing the process... Yippy she passed her written test... he said "have a good day ladies". I never really know if I pass or not and it really does not bother me. It seems maybe 50-50 but my feeling is that it seems to happen more often than not as time goes on. I know when my wife and I are out together we are often addressed as ladies. In this case though, I wonder if because we were wearing our masks that passing is easier.
Anyone else have mask experiences?

Offline Battle Goddess

• Friend
Re: Masks makes passing easier?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2020, 11:04:48 pm »
A mask does a heck of a lot to conceal my jawline and emphasize my eyes. I'm a big fan.
Spironolactone January 10 2019
Divigel January 20 2019
Estradiol Valerate March 14 2019

Offline sandrauk

• Friend
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2020, 11:10:21 pm »
I have experienced similar but not mask related.

Going out with my wife in male-ish wear I never get gendered. When out with my daughter it is 100% ladies- sometimes three times in an hour.

Offline barbie

• I change my avatar every week
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2020, 02:49:29 am »
Here many women say that the covid-19 relieves the burden of wearing makeup every day as they wear a mask. Just wearing eye makeup is enough.

barbie~~

Just do it.

Offline Kate.claire

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2020, 03:33:08 am »
Here many women say that the covid-19 relieves the burden of wearing makeup every day as they wear a mask. Just wearing eye makeup is enough.

barbie~~

Many women in Tokyo mastered this after the SARS outbreak years back. I'm right there with them, who wants to succumb to societal pressure to get all fixed up just to run to the grocery store? And if you're a quiet introvert, all the easier to avoid conversation. 

Even better.... mask plus large, dark sunglasses.  My personal favorite.

Offline KathyLauren

• Casting off dull certainty
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2020, 08:11:03 pm »
I had an errand to run today right before my electrolysis appointment.  I had plastic wrap covering the anesthetic cream on my face, but no one could see it because of the mask.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly, beginning full-time; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2019-10-18 Phone consultation for GRS; 2020-03-11 GRS!

Offline pamelatransuk

• Finally taking action after decades of suppression
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2020, 11:53:55 am »
I don't put on any lipstick when going out now but putting it on is my first job on returning  to my house!

Hugs

Pamela xx

Offline barbie

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2020, 01:58:28 pm »
Even better.... mask plus large, dark sunglasses.  My personal favorite.

And a hat would make it perfect, but it can be too much as here it is for covering the face of arrested suspects.

barbie~~

Just do it.

Offline quackattackisback

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2020, 06:38:39 pm »
It makes me waaaaay less self conscious. So I really prefer it now. Kind of a silver lining for COVID19 I suppose. 

Offline MxRileyQuinn

• Androgynous Coffee-Fueled Equestrian
  • HRT Date: 01 July 2019
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2020, 09:36:09 pm »
I am finding that with a mask on I am 50/50 referred to as male or female.  I'm still working on my voice training, so often that gives it away when they do call me "ma'am".
"Hail Caffeina, goddess of the morning!"

"Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of Solitaire. It is a grand passion." – Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Kate.claire

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2020, 09:59:30 pm »
Oooh... you're on to something... voice changing Covid-19 masks. 

Bah, Bane already beat us to the punch in The Dark Night Rises. 

Ooh... Halloween costume idea in there somewhere.  Banietta, Banette... oh duh, Sexy Bane.

Offline MxRileyQuinn

• Androgynous Coffee-Fueled Equestrian
  • HRT Date: 01 July 2019
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2020, 10:51:59 am »
Oooh... you're on to something... voice changing Covid-19 masks. 

Bah, Bane already beat us to the punch in The Dark Night Rises. 

Ooh... Halloween costume idea in there somewhere.  Banietta, Banette... oh duh, Sexy Bane.

I live in Texas, so "Baneirita"?  Though, "Sexy Bane" could be a hilarious crossplay and now I kind-of want to see it done.
"Hail Caffeina, goddess of the morning!"

"Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of Solitaire. It is a grand passion." – Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline barbie

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2020, 01:00:28 pm »
Even before the covid-19, people here in northeast Asia were already familiar to wearing masks because of air pollution, especially after the 2000s. In winter, I mostly wear a mask designed to filter out small particles. N95 or N99 are too much, and I mostly wear N90, which I feel comfortable with. I had kept 3 boxes of N90 masks, and suddenly they became for preventing the covid-19.

I try to look fashionable even with a mask  :D :D

barbie~~

Just do it.

Offline TSL_NB

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2020, 04:09:01 pm »
I'd say I had my first experience with my mask on yesterday....

I had a medical appointment in town, and more and more, I'm gradually dressing more the way I really want to feel.
After the appointment I had to run over to Costco to pick up some groceries and supplies, and while waiting to go into the Produce section, the employee who was monitoring the whole social distancing motioned to me, saying 'you can go ahead on in ma'am!'

I just politely nodded and went ahead...but, just hearing that made me feel 1000% more awesome and confident than I had previously felt all day. :)

« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 11:44:55 am by TSL_NB »
It took over 40 years to realise, and believe, that what I am NOT, is a mistake.

Offline galaxistar

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2020, 03:27:49 pm »
As a transman it makes me feel terrible. I'm almost 10 months on T but I can't help that I'm short, and have larger eyes and long eyelashes. Having an old man compliment me late at night at my job saying "Your mask accentuates your pretty eyes" makes me want to gag. I present as male as possible in every single way, my hair is incredibly short and I'm wearing a sweatshirt + binder that hides everything. Not enough at that moment. I guess I got my first taste of what my female coworkers feel all the time, unfortunately.

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
  • No act of kindness, however small, is wasted.
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2020, 03:50:10 pm »
I'd say I had my first experience with my mask on yesterday....

I had a medical appointment in town, and more and more, I'm gradually dressing more the way I really want to feel.
After the appointment I had to run over to Costco to pick up some groceries and supplies, and while waiting to go into the Produce section, the employee who was monitoring the whole social distancing motioned to me, saying 'you can go ahead on in ma'am!'

I just politely nodded and went ahead...but, just hearing that made me feel 1000% more awesome and confident than I had previously felt all day. :)

That is great!

Chrissy
Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that your speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2020, 03:50:51 pm »
Even before the covid-19, people here in northeast Asia were already familiar to wearing masks because of air pollution, especially after the 2000s. In winter, I mostly wear a mask designed to filter out small particles. N95 or N99 are too much, and I mostly wear N90, which I feel comfortable with. I had kept 3 boxes of N90 masks, and suddenly they became for preventing the covid-19.

I try to look fashionable even with a mask  :D :D

barbie~~

Barbie is simply pretty, mask or not.

Chrissy
Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that your speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

Offline Virelai

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2020, 04:56:24 pm »
I'm glad you all have had this experience. I don't think HRT has had its effects on my eyes yet (it may be starting to? I don't know), so I don't feel like I have a particularly feminine look above my nose. In fact, I think my less defined jawline is one of the more feminine aspects of my face.

It also doesn't help that 1. I have a giant forehead and 2. I haven't been able to do anything with my eyebrows since going to a stylist at this time is too risky with the virus all around (and before all of that began, I was not doing too well financially =/ )

But finances and the virus have also prevented me from getting my facial hair removed, so there is that. When my face is clean, the lower part looks quite feminine.

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2020, 06:21:24 pm »
I do not know if mask wearing makes passing easier.
I suppose it would if you have facial hair.  Seriously, perhaps they would help.
I think though it is more dependent on the entirety of your look and how you “carry yourself” when you are with others.

Your voice would still be a factor.  But I did go to the grocery yesterday and the cashier said nothing and neither did I.  Perhaps it was all the plexiglass panels on all sides of the cashier and the long lines that no conversation was initiated.  I was busy taking my items out of the shopping cart.  Most unusual, usually I alway talks with the cashier.

Yes I wore a mask.  I cannot say that the mask was any factor, but the store was busy and probably few pay much attention to others much unless they are stunning or unusual or they bump into you.

I had a list and did not wish to linger, and probably most people there wanted to buy and get home quickly.  After all, these are not normal times.  We are wearing masks!   

Usually, I do strike up a conversation at the store.  Well I guess at did at the deli counter.

In retrospect, I should have made a point to talk with the cashier.   I guess I was not very thoughtful. 

Each day she comes in to work, she may get sick from the public.  Perhaps it is harder to converse with someone with plexiglass between you, that was not there at the deli counter. 

I will do better next time in this regard.  I will.

Chrissy

@Northern Star Girl @CynthiaAnn

Offline barbie

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2020, 06:28:56 am »

Barbie is simply pretty, mask or not.

Chrissy

:D :D
Thanks for the sweet comment, Chrissy.

This is a UV-protection mask, which I wear during hiking and running outdoors. I am not quite sure whether it can decrease the number of droplets or aerosols, but it is designed to make breathing easy.

When I was in N. America or other countries, even in Japan, people there wondered why I was wearing such a strange mask. People here do not ask about it, as many women here are sensitive to the sun burning to wear it during outdoor activity. I hope wearing it will not look strange when I hopefully visit again in a few years.

Today while hiking.

barbie~~
Just do it.

Tags: