Blogs > Member Blogs

One New Life to Live

<< < (103/105) > >>

Northern Star Girl:
@Laura1951
Dear Laura:
Thank you for sharing your wonderful update:
            "May 18, 2022    A Day in Half Moon Bay"

Your trip with "person one" Nora sounded like you had a wonderful time...
...  what could be better day for you ????
                > out and about as Laura
                    > with your best friend and accepting friend Nora
                       > in your plane, flying

Thank you for sharing and also posting the terrific picture.

HUGS and more HUGS,   
Danielle

Laura1951:
May 28, 2022

One Step at a Time

Getting Out of Dodge
About 10 days ago, i finally made the leap to get out of Dodge for a week. I've traveled a bit in my life: regular trips to Hawaii during the 80s and 90s, annual trips to China (Nanjing) in the aughts (2000s), and several trips to the Philippines. Since beginning HRT, i've not escaped anywhere, partially because of COVID and partially because Laura didn't feel confident enough to travel alone. I've written previously how i have difficulty attending some events alone because for me part of the joy of the event is experiencing it with someone. Nora (Person One) was right though. I have to begin feeling comfortable doing the things i love alone. that life is too short. that now that i've feeling more confident, i should go out and enjoy myself.

So, i've scheduled a trip to Kona, Hawaii beginning June 15th. I was careful to plan around my electrolysis and to make sure i'm back for next month's Women's Book Club meeting, which i'm enjoying attending. I've visited every island in the past, but have never stayed in Kona which is actually not my favorite place in the islands. For me, it's too touristy. Still, i'll be on the Big Island where i can still take a day trip to my favorite city, Hilo, where my father was born in 1925. I'll be writing more during my trip. I'll do some shopping, some reading, and some adventuring. However, the main purpose is just to relax and to not be stuck to the couch. i'll miss my cats though who will be attended by a teenager next door.

Hair Today, Gone Tomorrow
When COVID began, nearly 2.5 years ago, I used it as an excuse to begin growing out my hair. I'd been wearing a full wig at the point and would continue doing so for another year. However, playing tennis with a full wig was very inconvenient as it often shifted on me during play. quite embarrassing. At first, i'd intended on getting it styled last summer, but as my hair grew, i became more curious about what length would look best on me, so i continued to let it grow. In the past month or so, i've reached the point where, because my hair is fairly fine, longer hair just doesn't look good on me.

Around the same time, as i told Nora about my Hawaiian trip, she told me it was time to visit a stylist. Nora really is a great friend who cares about how i'm progressing through my transition. Unsure about how the stylists my my town would react to a trans woman, she cautioned me to try to find someone who was trans-friendly. After doing some research, i found a salon about an hour from here. Making the trip yesterday, i felt quite comfortable with this salon. After sharing some history about my hair and showing my stylist a selfie i took a year ago, which had a length i felt looked good, she spent some time playing with my hair to see how my hair falls and what might work on me. the result was a length longer that i'd anticipated, but a look i'm comfortable with. As she said, it's better to start a little longer and see how it looks because we can always go bolder next time. My new avatar is me right after the appointment. Not the best picture i could take, but more will come

Women's Book Club
My second meeting with the book club was today, right after my Saturday tennis group. Again, i had a wonderful time with these women who are so interesting, intelligent, and well read. This month's selection was The Kings of the Wyld, which was a hoot to read. Quite funny and entertaining. Next month's selection is Lessons in Chemistry.

Nora and i continue to play singles each Sunday morning.I'm so thankful to have her as a friend.

Onward,

Laura

davina61:
Hair looks great dear, have a good holiday and relax .

Laura1951:
June 1, 2022

"I can't overstate the biggest joy, which is really seeing yourself. I know I look different to others, but to me I'm just starting to look like myself. It's indescribable, because I'm just like, there I am. And thank God. Here I am. The greatest joy is just being able to feel present, literally, just to be present, to go out in a group of new people and be able to engage in a way where I didn't feel this constant sensation to flee from my body, this never-ending sensation of anxiety and nervousness and wanting out. When I say I couldn't have ever imagined feeling that way, I mean that with every sense of me."

Elliott Page

And that's how we all feel.

Laura

Northern Star Girl:
@Laura1951
Dear Laura:
Thank you for sharing and posting your conclusions regarding your transition progress....
... Yes indeed, the excerpts below from your posting are a wonderful testament for you
and encouragement for any other transgender person that may read it.

--- Quote ---       "I can't overstate the biggest joy, which is really seeing yourself."
   "When I say I couldn't have ever imagined feeling that way, I mean that with every sense of me."

--- End quote ---

HUGS and continued success for you.
Danielle

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version