Author Topic: HRT without electrolysis?  (Read 655 times)

Offline ashley7

• Riot gal!
HRT without electrolysis?
« on: July 10, 2020, 01:59:31 am »
There's no point in HRT being covered by insurance and electrolysis not. What's the point in passing when you have 5 o' clock shadow? I'm thinking of just cutting my hair and waiting another year as male until I'm in a better financial position to transition. But every day I put it off is depressive torture. Sigh.

Online Devlyn

• The Forum Administrator
  • devlynmarie@susans.org
Re: HRT without electrolysis?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2020, 02:37:08 am »
Welcome to the world of increased upkeep costs. Women spend money on electrolysis every day, all over the world.

Hugs, Devlyn
Veteran, US Army

Offline AnonyMs

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2020, 11:37:23 am »
You can take hrt and still present as male. HRT feels good...

Offline TSL_NB

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2020, 11:51:12 am »
I can't afford electrolysis at the moment (I had one laser hair removal session on my face, and saved up for the next one), so for the most part, it's a pretty rigorous regimen of shaving everything, and Veeting the areas on my back I otherwise can't easily reach.

It gets a little brutal (I'm clumsy with a razor, to add, so parts of me occasionally look like a giant strawberry that had a bad day working at the local butcher shop), but I'd rather do that, and not have it there, until I can permanently get it off.

It took over 40 years to realise, and believe, that what I am NOT, is a mistake.

Offline Cassi

• Family
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2020, 06:32:59 pm »
When I started my adventure a couple of things didn't bother me but as the time has progressed they've become something that really can set me into my "Manopause" period.

One was facial hair.  I really didn't shave everyday and sometimes got away with going without for 2-3 days but as time has passed looking at my face and seeing the monster wanting to come out has really messed with me.

So, I decided no matter how I would do something about my facial hair.  First, I tried those hair remover creams - burnt and didn't work.  Then I tried having my entire face waxed -  I felt great after having it done despite the pain but it was temporary.

Then I had four laser sessions which didn't do any good and supposedly works on hard hair people of which I'm not.
My latest has been and continues to be electrolysis which I have had 4 sessions.  Painful yes, expensive yes. 

I totally understand the frustration of looking at yourself in the mirror and seeing hair, especially near your lips - it sucks mentally and physically.

Insurance companies will call it cosmetic but as more <not allowed> get mental health referrals the need for hair remover to help relief our dysphoria is making insurance companies rethink. 

I feel your pain and hope that what I've shared has helped.  Sometimes it what you do on your journey that can ease the negativity.  Best regards and wishes.
HRT since 1/04/2018

Offline CarlyMcx

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2020, 04:15:29 pm »
Of Project Cars and Transitioning:

(Bear with me here)

I’ve lived a long time as a guy.  Long enough to have a lifelong interest in special interest cars of every type:  hot rods, street machines, sports cars, exotics, tuners, rat rods, whatever.

All of us who are old enough know someone with an unrestored gem or a stalled project in their garage who keeps saying “Someday, someday.”

The old hands always had the same advice:  “Every day or evening after work, do one little thing, even if it is just tightening one nut on one bolt.  Then, you know the day will eventually come when you are happily cruising in your new hot rod.”

Gender transition works the same way.  The only way you move forward is by doing things.  If you can’t do big things, do little things.

Scrape up a few bucks, go get one electrolysis treatment.  Have the electrologist do a general thinning or have him/her work on a spot you always shave anyway like the neck beard.

But do something.  I started transitioning four years ago and I’m still not “there” yet.  But I’m still moving forward—one day at a time.

Offline Denise K

• What you seek is seeking you
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2020, 04:15:45 am »
I feel the pain Ashley. Electrolysis is one of the most expensive and time consuming process we must endure. Combining it with laser epilation might accelerate process in my opinion, its faster and cheaper. In my example laser epilation created miracles in just a year, Im more hairless than most of my cis female friends, both body and face- wise. But upper lips -hate calling it moustache   :'( - is another story. Laser didnt purge this area completely. So electrolysis is only option. Yeah lack of insurance coverage is terrible. I hope you do not give up...

I can talk about my routine. First thing I do every morning as soon as I wake up is going to bathroom for my shaving routine. Because if I delay it, dysphoria starts rising up to leave me depressive as hell in few hours. So I shave my shadow area with good shaving machine which does not harm the skin like a razor. Then I just razor shave the shadow area in reverse direction few times to veil it as much as possible, following moisturizer and concealer.

All takes 5 minutes and you are ready to start your day before facial dysphoria takes on instead.

I hope that helps, hugs...

Offline Nadine Spirit

• Little Mrs. Snarky
    • Unordinary Style
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2020, 07:54:50 am »
After having my face zapped monthly for the past two years and quite a bit zapped from my torso, and now starting electro on my lower bits, I figure that all of that combined will mean that electro is the single most expensive portion of my transition.  So far, in 2 years of it, I have laid out at somewhere from about 20k - 30k. Sucks. 

It should be a covered expense.  However I have sadly never met an AFAB with PCOS that has had their electro covered by insurance either. 

Offline Jessica_K

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2020, 10:22:40 am »
I am on HRT and not had electrolysis, again because I can not afford it. I have found with about 18 months of HRT, my body hair once removed by waxing a few times has not grown back that much and what has grown back is light and fine, a wax every 6 months or so or a quick shave of my legs is all that’s needed to keep it off. As for the face, I too use a good electric shaver and shave every morning, moisturise, followed by concealer. That will last the day, unless I am going anywhere special in the evening then I will have a second shave

Jessica xx

Offline Rakel

• Formerly known as Dani
  • Rakel@susans.org
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2020, 10:48:22 am »
During transition is a difficult time for  many of us.

I started HRT to begin my transition, but I did not start electrolysis until 18 months later. This was a very androgynous time for me. Sometimes I passed and sometimes not. I dressed androgynously, so I had few issues publicly, but I was really hurting inside.

I was beginning to wonder if I would ever fully pass. With careful self evaluation of what needed to be done, I made a plan. It took a few more years to fully transition.

We all wish we could wake up one day and be as we feel inside. Except for the fortunate few, this is not going to happen. Make a plan. Keep your expectations realistic. Don't quit. Don't despair. You will get there before you know it and all this frustration will just be a memory.

Take care.  :-*

Offline pamelatransuk

• Finally taking action after decades of suppression
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2020, 11:44:13 am »
Well said, Rakel. I completely agree.

I started Laser and Electrolysis separately after 6 months HRT. I required no more Laser treatment which was on my chest nipples abdomen and back after a few months. However my Electrolysis which is to remove the gray hairs on my face continues.

It is worth pointing out that some of us - especially those that take action early - may be lucky and manage with Laser or other Body Hair Removal methods instead of Electrolysis which yes sadly is expensive.

Wishing success to all Body Hair Removers.

Hugs

Pamela xx

Offline Rachel

• Family
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2020, 06:12:39 pm »
Hi, I have been doing electrolysis for a long time (7 years) and am getting to the end. I started with laser and then electrolysis.

I transitioned while doing hair removal. You could shave several times a day.

Tags: