Author Topic: Is the royal bank of Canada trans friendly?  (Read 273 times)

Online Erika_

• Friend
Is the royal bank of Canada trans friendly?
« on: July 11, 2020, 06:24:42 pm »
So I need to do some banking that I can't do online, however I no longer look, sound or act like a guy. And my ID doesn't look like me anymore. All the accounts are in my deadname and I refuse to go in guy mode anywhere.

So I'm wondering if the royal bank is trans friendly, otherwise it'll be a nightmare to deal with them.

Offline TSL_NB

Re: Is the royal bank of Canada trans friendly?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2020, 07:26:49 pm »
I'm not sure about RBC; I've only used CIBC/Simplii (since they took over PC Financial).  I haven't had any real problems (but granted, I haven't needed to make a live appearance for a long time).

Id say, if you have done any name changes, and you have the paperwork showing the name change with your current ID, that should be sufficient...and, if they're interested in keeping you as a customer, I would hope they wouldn't cause a difficult experience. :)
It took over 40 years to realise, and believe, that what I am NOT, is a mistake.

Online Erika_

• Friend
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2020, 10:04:37 pm »
I haven't changed my name, I can't change it yet.

I'll try calling them first, maybe I can find something out.

I don't have guy clothes anymore though, so if there's some requirement for me to present male I can't.

Offline AllieSF

• Ain't Life Grand!!
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2020, 10:26:34 pm »
Just go as you are and you will have no problems.  You still have your legal ID's that should satisfy whatever the Bank needs.  Just tell them you are trans and transitioning and they should help you out as an existing customer, or at least as a customer.  Good luck.
HRT - February 2017
Full Time - July 2018
Orchi - January 2018
BA - September 25, 2019
FFS - January 10, 2020
GRS - TBDDD (To Be Determined, Decision and Date)

Offline KathyLauren

• Casting off dull certainty
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2020, 06:58:52 am »
I bank at RBC.  Early in my transition, I was on HRT and presenting as female, but still had everything in my old legal name.  I had to see the teller for something and presented my bank card at the window.  She swiped it, looked at her computer, and said, "That isn't your card."

"Oh, <not allowed>," I thought, "Here we go."  So I explained that I hadn't yet had an opportunity to legally change my name or any documents, but that it really was me.  "No, it isn't that," she said.  "There's no way you are 62."   ;D

A sigh of relief from me that being trans wasn't going to be a problem.  She was very apologetic, once we got it all straightened out.  I told her not to apologize, that she had made my day!  She offered to enter a preferred name into their database.

I can't vouch for every bank employee everywhere in the country.  But the laws here do protect us from discrimination, and it seems that the bank has no discriminatory policy.  If you get hassled, the employee is out of line, and you should talk to the manager.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly, beginning full-time; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2019-10-18 Phone consultation for GRS; 2020-03-11 GRS!

Offline Oldandcreaky

• Family
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2020, 01:41:18 pm »
Easy-peasy. Enter. Ask to speak to a bank officer. Explain your situation. Produce whatever documentation they require. You're in like Lynn!

Tags: