Author Topic: Crowdfunding a transition?  (Read 305 times)

Offline ashley7

• Riot gal!
Crowdfunding a transition?
« on: July 14, 2020, 11:49:52 am »
Have any of you given thought to crowdfunding your transition? Is it possible to be successful doing so? Is it moral? Some people need crowdfunding for serious medical purposes, while mine is labeled as “cosmetic,” except it does affect my mental well-being.

Online AllieSF

• Ain't Life Grand!!
Re: Crowdfunding a transition?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2020, 11:54:24 am »
I say, go for it if you feel it is the only way to move forward and you need to move forward.  Just note that it does not work for all and you will need to self promote your own cause, probably through social media. I had a friend try it, but it did not work for her. Good luck.

Allie
HRT - February 2017
Full Time - July 2018
Orchi - January 2018
BA - September 25, 2019
FFS - January 10, 2020
GRS - TBDDD (To Be Determined, Decision and Date)

Offline Devlyn

• The Forum Administrator
  • devlynmarie@susans.org
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2020, 04:23:22 pm »
You can try it, but I will remind you of site policy:

13. The posting of commercial messages which includes fundraising requests, requests for participants for medical studies, or casting calls is not allowed without prior administrative approval, which may be obtained by emailing susan@susans.org. Approval will generally be denied unless the content of the message would be of specific interest to transgender individuals. Violation of this term may result in warnings, account removal, or bans ranging from 120 days to 1 year.

Also:

This site is private property. No panhandling. No soliciting.
So, don't park at our intersection with a sign.

I know the situation sucks in the US and other places. People can't afford their surgeries or even HRT and other transition costs. But many of our members are in the same boat. So, be courteous and don't stick your hand out to people who can't afford their own surgeries. It's bad form.

You know that feeling you get at the intersection with the guy holding a sign standing by the side of the road staring you down? Well, that's you when you come on here with your hand out. No fundraising pleas! No 'go fund me', none of it. Nada.

So you can try it... just not here.

Veteran, US Army

Offline Maddie

• Family
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2020, 04:48:16 pm »
I can only imagine trying that myself:
"Donate here to neuter me" might be my best pitch
(Picturing ex girlfriends clicking furiously)

Friend of a friend did it.  It was a perfect storm for them though.  They and their spouse had wide circles of support. They even had insurance covering their surgeries too....
People are more likely to give money to people who don't need it!!

If you have a crowd of followers, and an angle that can create buzz, I say go for it

Offline madeleine

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2020, 06:17:03 pm »
I had never even thought of it, but I think it could totally work.  If I did it, I would try to find someone who is really knowledgeable about social/networking stuff though, because I wouldn't know how to do it right.

Offline SoCal_Holly

• Multi-Pass
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2020, 01:10:46 am »
Crowd sourcing and Kickstarter are very fickle about what gets funded and why.

People have crowdsourced breast augmentation, face lifts, dental work,  school tuition, pleasure travel, car repairs, and all sorts of vanity projects (and yes please give me money because I’m cute and I need it).

Putting together a great “marketing pitch” based on need, being funny, or whatever strikes the public’s fancy could get you funded. Sometimes there is no rhyme or reason to what is the cause de jour. This usually means a short video explaining yourself. What your goal is, why you need it, what they get out of helping you, etc...

A silly card game called exploding kittens got funded over $10M on Kickstarter and yes it is as stupid as it sounds.

good luck!

Holly

Offline TSL_NB

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2020, 11:55:31 am »
Crowdfunding can work (but as Devlyn noted, don't do it here).

But, the one really big factor in doing that is that, as far as cyberspace/social media is concerned, you're going to be outing yourself, 100%.

If you feel the need for discretion during your journey, using crowdfunding means you will defenestrate any notion of discretion....which, for many, doesn't matter, but it may for others.

(And, I'm just pleased I managed to use the word defenestrate in a sentence....spell-check doesn't like it, though. :)   )   
It took over 40 years to realise, and believe, that what I am NOT, is a mistake.

Tags: