Author Topic: Any suggestions on transitioning and going to a ymca or gym?  (Read 150 times)

Offline Rebecca28

Any suggestions on transitioning and going to a ymca or gym?
« on: September 15, 2020, 06:44:31 pm »
Ladies,

I just rejoined the YMCA. Now that I am transitioning. I have some concerns. I don’t pass yet. But my chest is growing. I like to swim and will be doing some classes and playing pickleball. Should i go in male clothing and just wear a sports bra? I need to wear one to protect my growing girls. Should I wear women’s clothing that don’t scream women’s? Not sure what to wear for a top as well

When did you know it was the right time to wear the correct bathing suit? I have a swim dress I love to wear but have never swam in a pool wearing it.

Any recommendations are appreciated.

Hugs

Rebecca

Offline Kate.claire

Re: Any suggestions on transitioning and going to a ymca or gym?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2020, 08:04:52 pm »
I feel for you, swimming is one of the tougher mid-transition activities to approach, and has been a source of anxiety for me as someone who prefers to spend the majority of their waking time in the water.  I'm writing this around the take of someone who is still presenting in their natal sex for whatever reason.  Not sure that is entirely your case, but it has been mine and will probably continue to be for the foreseeable future.

I had to deal with it quite a bit this summer with friends and family I am not out to, and I'm nowhere close to passable after two years of HRT, coupled with being a sensitive conformist, so pretty much mentally stuck presenting male. What worked for me...

Best: A male wetsuit long sleeved top by itself gave enough compression (I'm not huge, but I can't wear a t-shirt alone without being noticed.  In the winter, just straight up full suits.

Secondary option: competitive women's swimsuit underneath a rash guard (they give compression).  Worked fine, front is well handled, but you can probably see lines through a solid pattern rashguard that is wet.  A rash guard only can work, but depending on your projection, you may need to be strategic with your arm placement when out of the water. In the water, no one sees a thing.

Indoor pool is a bit trickier, since nobody expects you to be wearing a wetsuit in the pool and you don't have an excuse to protect yourself from UV.  ;D I was thinking about wearing a triathlon swimskin.  Drawback is they are pricey. 

On the pickleball front, if you're still presenting male at the time, men's compression tanks or sports bra under a shirt are the way to go.  The latter may expose itself under heavy sweating though, not that big of a deal in my book though.

My therapist said there are some swim binder options out there too, but I haven't looked into them much.  Pretty happy with the outdoor solutions above, indoor pools aren't that necessary in San Diego.

Offline Rakel

• Formerly known as Dani
  • Rakel@susans.org
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2020, 08:59:30 pm »
 Good evening Rebecca,

When using a public locker room, just ask the facilities managers what is their policy for someone  in mid transition like yourself. They often are accommodating and will find you something that is acceptable and maybe private as well. You never know until you ask.  :-X

Retired Pharmacist with over 40 years experience in Hospital and Retail Pharmacies.
I still keep my professional licence active and in good standing.

Offline sarahc

• Sarah
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2020, 09:27:39 pm »
Personally, I am too afraid to go swimming / do locker rooms prior to bottom surgery. I’m just very hesitant to risk creating a fuss. Consulting the staff seems like a great first step.

Pickleball shouldn’t be an issue. In my area, most pickleball get-togethers that I’ve seen from the tennis courts are co-ed. (I play tennis myself.) And pickleball players seem to be much more chill than serious women’s tennis players when it comes to trying to be fashionable on the courts. So it really comes down to how you want to present yourself.

Sarah
----
48 years young.
Known that I am trans since...forever.
First therapy session / decided to transition / hair removal: October 2018
HRT: January 2019 (journal https://www.susans.org/forums/index.phpVF/topic,244009.0.html)
VFS: September 2019; three-month report here
Full-time: April 2020
FFS: August 2020
SRS: January 2021

Offline kaygee

• Mademoiselle💃
  • A very stable genius.🤪
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2020, 07:52:28 am »
Good evening Rebecca,

When using a public locker room, just ask the facilities managers what is their policy for someone  in mid transition like yourself. They often are accommodating and will find you something that is acceptable and maybe private as well. You never know until you ask.  :-X

One would hope that is the case, but when began my transition, c2002, I was upfront with the YMCA where I had worked out for years.

I assured them that I would not disrobe completely in the women's locker room.

But they would have none of it. They said I couldn't use either (women's or men's) locker room.

Instead, they had a unisex restroom with a lock on the door. They put a locker in there and told me I could use that.

Separate, but waay unequal. :(

I think they put too much emphasis on the C in YMCA.

Now, fully post-op, I will be rejoining the Y soon, but at a different branch.

I hope secular clubs have more woke attitudes.
Give me ambiguity... or give me something else.

-Patrick… somebody

Offline Rakel

• Formerly known as Dani
  • Rakel@susans.org
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2020, 08:08:38 pm »
kaygee,

Yes, I am sure that was the prevailing attitude 18 years ago, but at the very least they were accommodating. That is much better than the open hostility and public humiliation many of us faced 50 years ago.  :P

Retired Pharmacist with over 40 years experience in Hospital and Retail Pharmacies.
I still keep my professional licence active and in good standing.

Tags: