Author Topic: Has Covid-19 impacts slowed or stalled your transition?  (Read 413 times)

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
  • No act of kindness, however small, is wasted.
Has Covid-19 impacts slowed or stalled your transition?
« on: July 27, 2020, 08:30:03 pm »
Has Covid-19 impacts slowed your transition?  Certainly this has impacted jobs, economic security, where we work and serve our clients and patients, the amount of time being in public, and of course, health concerns. 

Is all of the sudden transition perhaps not your highest priority or perhaps been stalled?  Maybe you cannot see your medical doctors, therapists, or professionals for laser, hair styling, etc. as easily or there are longer waits for appointments so things seem to be moving a bit slower than ever.

Perhaps it has had no significant transition related impact or you have even accelerated your plans. 

For me, I just have not been out as much and see friends less often.  We were made to be with others.  I miss the interaction.

Chrissy
Always be kinder than needed.  Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that your speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

Online Northern Star Girl

• Previously Alaskan Danielle
  • northernstargirl@susans.org
Re: Has Covid-19 impacts slowed or stalled your transition?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2020, 09:05:18 pm »
@ChrissyRyan
Dear Chrissy:
No significant impacts ....

... the biggest impact had been to my business and my social life.

Danielle
***SEE MY LINKS BELOW
The Ramblings of a Northern*Star Girl
A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles
I am the HUNTED PREY: Danielle’s Chronicles
Things change re: ALASKAN DANIELLE
Positive Mindset... put away negativity

Started HRT:   March 2015
Went Full-Time    December 2016
Quit my male-mode job and relocated to a very small town in Alaska in January 2017
I'm a blonde, blue eyed woman, Age 40

Offline KateR

• Kate
Has Covid-19 impacts slowed or stalled your transition?
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2020, 09:49:52 pm »
Yup for me.

The stopping of Non-emergency procedures has delayed me. 

I did get one surgery completed in May.  Additionally, the consults for FFS & GCS has to be rescheduled.

Unfortunately, I think there is a risk of another shutdown.  I’m hopeful there won’t be, but it wouldn’t surprise me.

Socially, my girlfriends and I moved our GNO to Zoom, and I helped my therapist get her group meetings going on Zoom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kate

Offline BelleInStarfleet

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2020, 11:48:56 pm »
Yes!  There are some processes I would've had in place much sooner if everything hadn't shut down.

On the bright side, I can feel glad I didn't delay for FFS and got the first stage of that done in December.

And also, realizing that the United States will have a covid spike in winter that may shut everything down again, I'm not wasting time on the VFS that means the most to me.

Offline natalie.ashlyne

• instagram
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2020, 06:14:54 am »
Yes it has totally stalled my transition as april 8 was supposed to be my SRS and BA so it is still postponed until further notice which really is hard to deal with at times.

Offline LaRae

• "No one ever wetted clay and then left it, as if there would be bricks by chance and fortune."
  • Friend
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2020, 06:32:53 am »
I has, on a psychological level, as well as medical.

The isolation of social distancing has been doing a number on my mental state.. I've found it harder & harder to summon the motivation for self-care. I've done my makeup once in 4 months, largely because I've been so depressed. I was also about to get a job in a LGBTQ bar right when Covid hit.

On the medical side, I was supposed to have a doctor's visit in March, whee I would've brought up concerns about my T levels & the prospect of an orchiectomy. Unfortunately, that was canceled. They called me last months, but I'm out of work & my tags are expired.

So overall, not been great.
"Never forget what you are, the rest of the world will not. Wear it like armour and it can never be used to hurt you."

Offline sarahc

• Sarah
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2020, 09:03:41 am »
Yes - the pandemic has affected my transition in a few ways:

1) FFS - My original date for FFS in April got blown up. Fortunately, I was able to reschedule and just got my FFS done last week.

2) SRS - The pandemic is blowing up my after-surgery care plan for SRS, which is to take place at the end of January. Originally, I was going to have my elderly mom be with me for post-SRS support. With the pandemic, however, it's not going to be a good idea for her to travel out of town for the surgery. Net result: I'll probably have no one with me in the hospital, and I'll be relying on a rotating cast of friends to support me with aftercare. This is not an ideal outcome, but it's really the only solution. SRS is just not going to be fun...but from a transition standpoint, it's better to get it done sooner rather than later. So I just have to power through.

3) New business - in conjunction with my transition, I started a financial and investment advisory business serving individuals and families in May. My original marketing plan relied heavily on in-person networking events. That marketing plan got completely destroyed by the pandemic. So I am having to re-tool my marketing to digital marketing, but it's really hard to build a financial advisory client base if you can't meet with clients. I have enough savings to get through this tough period, but it's very frustrating as a new business owner having to deal with this situation.

4) Going to see out-of-town friends as the new me. I was planning on going to see a bunch of my friends this summer. Those plans fell by the wayside of course.

5) Just more lonely...as someone who does not have a partner or children but is very social, it's just not fun not being able to see family and friends in person. I see my mom a couple of times a week, but that's pretty much my only meaningful in-person interaction. I have gone to a couple of socially distanced picnics...those have been fun, but they're pretty rare still.

Net-net, the pandemic hasn't been great.

Sarah
----
48 years young.
Known that I am trans since...forever.
First therapy session / decided to transition / hair removal: October 2018
HRT: January 2019 (journal https://www.susans.org/forums/index.phpVF/topic,244009.0.html)
VFS: September 2019; three-month report here
Full-time: April 2020
FFS: August 2020
SRS: January 2021

Offline Ellie_Arroway

• ellie_arroway@susans.org
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2020, 02:30:25 pm »
There has been an impact in that my medical care has been delayed. For that reason, I've decided to go private for hormones until the NHS catches up.

Also, I would have started voice therapy by May I think if everything had run according to plan. Now it will start in about two weeks time.

Everybody's been affected by the covid situation in one way or another, and I accept what has happened and that it was nobody's fault.
Started seriously questioning: 24 Aug 2019
Referred to GIC: 23 Sep 2019
Full-time female presentation since: 21 Oct 2019, unbroken since 12 Dec 2019
Official name change by deed poll: 11 Nov 2019
HRT: "kind of" started 15 Jul 2020
Most of my story is in the Just another mtf tale thread!
Twitch streamer MusicEllie

Online Pammie

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2020, 05:10:42 pm »
There has been an impact in that my medical care has been delayed. For that reason, I've decided to go private for hormones until the NHS catches up.

Also, I would have started voice therapy by May I think if everything had run according to plan. Now it will start in about two weeks time.

Everybody's been affected by the covid situation in one way or another, and I accept what has happened and that it was nobody's fault.
Wonderful attitude Ellie! Go you! Xxx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2020, 05:13:29 pm »
Yes it has totally stalled my transition as april 8 was supposed to be my SRS and BA so it is still postponed until further notice which really is hard to deal with at times.

I hope you will have no further delays.   :) :)

Chrissy
Always be kinder than needed.  Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that your speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

Offline ramilove

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2020, 10:44:42 am »
COVID-19 has slowed my transition, stopped electrolysis after 3 sessions, ended my in person gender therapy sessions, in person transgender group sessions, gym membership and yoga classes. Seeing this all coming in January I moved up my timeline to start on HRT which caught my therapist a little off guard. I felt that if I did not get in my required doctors visits it would be who knows when I would be able to start on estrogen. The social isolation has not been helpful.
Electrolysis 3/4/2020
Estradiol 3/10/2020

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2020, 10:47:30 am »
COVID-19 has slowed my transition, stopped electrolysis after 3 sessions, ended my in person gender therapy sessions, in person transgender group sessions, gym membership and yoga classes. Seeing this all coming in January I moved up my timeline to start on HRT which caught my therapist a little off guard. I felt that if I did not get in my required doctors visits it would be who knows when I would be able to start on estrogen. The social isolation has not been helpful.

Yes, I can relate.  I understand.   Best to you.   :)

Chrissy

Offline Sophiaprincess2019

• www.tickerfactory.com
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2020, 11:16:38 pm »
I'm one of those rare cases where Covid actually helped my business. I've been extremely fortunate that freight hauling has increased a lot and rates are high. I've gone from being a company truck driver to going back into business for myself. I suddenly have a bunch of new business opportunities.

Stay strong.

Sophia
1968 Assigned male at birth with feminine mannerisms
1978 Dolls and dresses
1988 Experimental stage, limited makeup and clothes
1998 Denial continues, unsuccessfully tried living as a man
12-8-2018 Knew I was a woman, time for a change....
2-22-2019 Started HRT
8-9-2019 Legal Name Change
8-14-2019 New Drivers License issued with correct gender
9-5-2019 Social Security card updated
10-12-2019 Birth certificate updated
2-22-2020 One year HRT

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2020, 05:20:54 am »
I'm one of those rare cases where Covid actually helped my business. I've been extremely fortunate that freight hauling has increased a lot and rates are high. I've gone from being a company truck driver to going back into business for myself. I suddenly have a bunch of new business opportunities.

Stay strong.

Sophia

That sounds encouraging.  :)

Chrissy

Tags: